Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

axl6666 wrote: »
    Axl showed up pretty late- very late really. A lot of people were getting angry at that as they had children with them and/or
    they had their cars in car parks where they would have to spend a lot of money if their car was still their after 12.

Security at the 02 said that Axl was scheduled to come on at 9 and to finish at 11.15.

Crowd was getting pretty fidgety and angry around ten (though started doing mexican waves which were fun). However
    when guns came on they pretty much won most people over.

Axl was very angry from the start and threw something at one of his roadies. He stormed off during chinese democracy.

The bottles that were thrown at Axl were actually plastic. I have to at least blame the late start for the bottle throwing.
    People were getting drunker the longer they were waiting.

People were very confused about the walkoff, and whether or not he was gong to come back. Security did not
    know what was happening and were telling people whatever they needed to here to keep them calm. So if someone
    said should we leave, security would say yes just to keep things under control. At one point we were told by security to leave the place,
    but security were very confused themselves.

When Axl came back on he was needlessly angry. A lot of people had left by this time but the ones that remained I think wanted
    him to put on a good show, and were willing him to do well. However he ignored any goodwill from audience and
    just stood there throughout all the songs. The rest of the band were trying to encourage him by touching him etc.
    but he just ignored everything.

The band was VERY good. They put lots of energy into the show (they’re all very charismatic) to compensate for the negative energy and apathy
    coming from Axl. In fact from what we could see people actually seemed to be happiest when Axl was off stage and the rest of the
    band were playing without him. The solos got very good responses and people seemed to like the musicianship. It was difficult
    to get into things when Axl was on stage since he obviously did not want to be there.

From what I could see Axl is the weak link in Guns. The rest of the band would be able to start a great band without him. And that’ speaking
    as a big Axl fan.

None of this would have happened if he had not made an ultimatum to an increasingly angry and drunk audience. Someone was bound to
    break it. He should have just said can you please stop throwing things, thanks, or tried to pick out the person who was throwing things.
    It was not good to punish whole crowd for one drunken guy’s mistake. He squandered all the good will that he had even up to half ten,
    when he came on late.

Can i ask your age.. out of pure curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

You say Justin Bieber I say ACDC
    You say Miley Cyrus I say Led Zepplin
    You say TPain I say Guns N Roses
    You say Kanye I say Metallica
    You say Pink I say Iron Maiden
    You say Hip Hop i say shut the **** up
    You say Pop I scream Rock!
    You say hanah montana-i punch you in the face
    92% of people have turned to Hip Hop and Pop.If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music then hit the thumbs up button at the end of this post

DONTLET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE!

Guns N Roses still rock despite what happend last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

then hit the thumbs up button at the end of this post
    ** cough **

Thanks-whore!

** cough **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

exactly ....

No apology for calling me a knacker yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 axl6666

Can i ask your age.. out of pure curiosity?
    I am thirty. Any reason?

Saying all that I wouldn't say it was a bad experience (though it was probably a bad concert). It was very interesting. I've never seen that happen before in real life, and I've never seen a crowd of people that big not knowing what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Almost off topic at this stage....were they actually any good when they came back on and played the 90 or so mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

92% of people have turned to Hip Hop and Pop.If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music then hit the thumbs up button at the end of this post

WTF was that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Almost off topic at this stage....were they actually any good when they came back on and played the 90 or so mins?

They sounded brilliant and the guitarists were giving it socks. Axl was motionless and looked like he'd rather be elsewhere but still sang very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have MCD issued a gagging order on RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dms!

WTF was that??

Seriously! I expect to see stuff like that on myspace not boards!

• Advertisement

The band were very good; a lot of people agree on that. Musically excellent. Also band was very charismatic.

Axl's vocals were very good. However he didn't do anything except stand rigid and look very angry so that kind of killed the excitement.

So the music was good, but it was really difficult to get emotionally into it.

I got talking to some women around me and they (and me) were actually happiest when Axl was off stage. Because then the band could play well and get really into the music. They were working really hard to keep people on board, but it was all a bit like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Oh also the lights and stage show were amazing. Flame throwers, movies, confetti sprayers. It would have been an amazing show if only axl had got into it.

mike65 wrote: »

Are they not reporting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

WTF was that??

something he copied off facebook i assume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

where did you get your statisics? Now 17??

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

The band worked very hard and played well, and Axl's voice and singing was all the better for his not jumping around. The lack of any interaction with or connection to the audience certainly put a dampener on things, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Are they not reporting it?

MCD have connections with RTE . The usual protection for certain people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

mike65 wrote: »

There's a reporter on Twitter looking for people to talk to RTE news about last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

axl6666 wrote: »
    I am thirty. Any reason?

Saying all that I wouldn't say it was a bad experience (though it was probably a bad concert). It was very interesting. I've never seen that happen before in real life, and I've never seen a crowd of people that big not knowing what to do.

Youre post takes me back to when i was 8 years old and had a diary thats all. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop.If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music then hit the thumbs up button at the end of this post

:rolleyes: [citation needed]

I am so glad I didn't shell out for that shambles last night. I can tell you right now I would have left after the walk off when the house lights came on. I also condone the bottle throwing, since the O2 opened up, and they allowed the drinking on the floor, the natural reaction of concert attendees has been to get polluted on drink and then fire the bottles away. It's a terrible decision, thinking back to when it was the point, the crowd never got anywhere as messy since you had to go upstairs away from the gig to have a pint, whereas now you can drink uninterrupted for as long as you like. Multiply that by 14,000 angry people and you're not gonna get good results.

I think it's ironic to see the amount of people giving out about the "hired musicians" playing with Axl, if you don't think the current line-up is Guns n Roses, don't pay to see them, simple as. It seems like they were the only redeeming feature about last night. Also, I'm hating the definition between the "knackers" throwing bottles and the "real fans" that refrained from doing it. Surely everyone who was willing to pay the ridiculous ticket price earned the right to be classed as a "real fan", the fact that some were so annoyed by Axl's pettiness that they resorted to throwing bottles to show their dissatisfaction surely strengthens this.

Also, I think it very ironic when you see the amount of people complaining about how the nation should rise up and tackle the greedy politicians, developers and bankers, yet when it happens at a rock concert, a place you would expect revolution to be rife in the air, where people have paid out a lot of good money for what should be an enjoyable and memorable experience, we are expected to sit back and pleasantly smile when the egotistical singer decides to come on-stage over an hour late, only to storm off after 20 minutes.

Youre post takes me back to when i was 8 years old and had a diary thats all. Thanks

Oh ok:)

Sorry, was just jotting downs thoughts as they occurred to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

So to summarise:

* 14k odd people buy tickets for a rock singer/band that is legendary for his primadonna tendencies, stopping gigs if stuff gets thrown on stage and his habit of arriving up to 2 hours late on stage.
    * 14k odd people are then surprised when said singer/band arrives onstage 45 minutes late
    * 14K odd people are more surprised when said singer/band dislikes having shít/liquids thrown at him, his band and the electrical equipment on stage
    * 14k odd people listen to the singer warn the crowd that if shít continues to be thrown he will stop the gig
    * Small number of gobsheens (possibly just 1) decides to píss on everyone's night by continuing to throw stuff.
    * 14k odd people (especially the ar$e that thought he was great for thowing shít at the band) are even more surprised when the singer stops the gig after more shít is thrown
    * 14k odd people hear a weak excuse about technical difficulties
    * 14k odd people hear the promoter ask for patience and say that he is trying to convince the singer/band to return to the stage but people need to stop thowing shít
    * Unknown number of people ignore this and leave
    * Unknown number of people listen, stay and eventually the gig starts up again, fulfilling the band's contract with the promoter
    * Singer in a huff decides he's not gonna run around the stage thus probably improving his vocal performance for the rest of the gig.
    * Crowd doesn't like this because Liam Gallagher is the only person allowed to stand still at a gig
    * A disturbingly high percentage of posters condone the bottling, throwing of liquids at bands on stage (almost forgot that one)
    * The boards thread begins
    * People complain about being up past their bed times at a rock and roll gig
    * W. Axl Rose is unofficially crowned the devil with the title becoming official as soon as Joe Duffy makes time for him
    * Thread continues for ever and ever and ever until everyone get's bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

:rolleyes: [citation needed]

I am so glad I didn't shell out for that shambles last night. I can tell you right now I would have left after the walk off when the house lights came on. I also condone the bottle throwing, since the O2 opened up, and they allowed the drinking on the floor, the natural reaction of concert attendees has been to get polluted on drink and then fire the bottles away. It's a terrible decision, thinking back to when it was the point, the crowd never got anywhere as messy since you had to go upstairs away from the gig to have a pint, whereas now you can drink uninterrupted for as long as you like. Multiply that by 14,000 angry people and you're not gonna get good results.

I think it's ironic to see the amount of people giving out about the "hired musicians" playing with Axl, if you don't think the current line-up is Guns n Roses, don't pay to see them, simple as. It seems like they were the only redeeming feature about last night. Also, I'm hating the definition between the "knackers" throwing bottles and the "real fans" that refrained from doing it. Surely everyone who was willing to pay the ridiculous ticket price earned the right to be classed as a "real fan", the fact that some were so annoyed by Axl's pettiness that they resorted to throwing bottles to show their dissatisfaction surely strengthens this.

Also, I think it very ironic when you see the amount of people complaining about how the nation should rise up and tackle the greedy politicians, developers and bankers, yet when it happens at a rock concert, a place you would expect revolution to be rife in the air, where people have paid out a lot of good money for what should be an enjoyable and memorable experience, we are expected to sit back and pleasantly smile when the egotistical singer decides to come on-stage over an hour late, only to storm off after 20 minutes.
    basically you're saying the irish are not capable of drinking at a gig? I thought it was a positive thing th o2 allowed drink on the floor, it showed they expect a reasonable amount of maturity from fans, as opposed to the dicks throwing stuff on stage........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

basically you're saying the irish are not capable of drinking at a gig? I thought it was a positive thing th o2 allowed drink on the floor, it showed they expect a reasonable amount of maturity from fans, as opposed to the dicks throwing stuff on stage........

How many gigs have you been to at the O2? If it draws a younger crowd, yes, everybody gets sloppy. It's not a problem if everybody's on the same wavelength (Kasabian was AMAZING!!) but when you've that many people standing around, with nothing to do but drink and get stressed and hence angry, it's never gonna end well. At first I thought it was a positive and excellent thing, but there just seems to be a nastier feeling in the air in the O2 gigs compared to the point ones, plus I never once saw a fight at a gig in the point, now I'd see maybe 3- 5 per gig in the O2. Usually between people that have drunk too much or with somebody annoyed by some locked person.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

So to summarise:

* 14k odd people buy tickets for a rock singer/band that is legendary for his primadonna tendencies, stopping gigs if stuff gets thrown on stage and his habit of arriving up to 2 hours late on stage.
    * 14k odd people are then surprised when said singer/band arrives onstage 45 minutes late
    * 14K odd people are more surprised when said singer/band dislikes having shít/liquids thrown at him, his band and the electrical equipmenton stage
    * 14k odd people listen to the singer warn the crowd that if shít continues to be thrown he will stop the gig
    * 14k odd people are even more surprised when the singer stops the gig after more shít is thrown
    * 14k odd people hear a weak excuse about technical difficulties
    * 14k odd people hear the promoter ask for patience and say that he is trying to convince the singer/band to return to the stage but people need to stop thowing shít
    * Unknown number of people ignore this and leave
    * Unknown number of people listen, stay and eventually the gig starts up again, fulfilling the band's contract with the promoter
    * Singer in a huff decides he's not gonna run around the stage thus probably improving his vocal performance for the rest of the gig.
    * Crowd doesn't like this because Liam Gallagher is the only person allowed to stand still at a gig
    * A disturbingly high percentage of posters condone the bottling, throwing of liquids at bands on stage (almost forgot that one)
    * The boards thread begins
    * People complain about being up past their bed times at a rock and roll gig
    * W. Axl Rose is unofficially crowned the devil with the title becoming official as soon as Joe Duffy makes time for him
    * Thread continues for ever and ever and ever until everyone get's bored.

You forgot :
    1 guy gets to ruin 14K peoples night by acting like an absolute arse in fornt of said14K people (less maybe 30 or so ar*eholes who used him for target practice). A bit of balance please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I have to say the level of drunkenness was quite something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mrwolf

I was at the gig last night and thought it was a magic show Axel kept disapearing and reapearing ,yeah the music was great during the rare occasions they where actualy playing but axel was a complete a##+•|* no respect for fans no sorry for being so late and no thanks at the end of the show, the audiance where just left standing there he just finished the last song and then ran off to cry himself to sleep haveing scarey nightmares about flying beer and playing gigs on time,by the way anyone else who was there I lost a bottle, it's green it had carlsberg written on it oh yeah there was beer in it aswell, last seen heading in the direction of one whinebag little girly waster

zuutroy wrote: »
    I have to say the level of drunkenness was quite something.

The sale of alcohol should be banned at gigs then. Like that's gonna happen.

Mrwolf wrote: »
    I was at the gig last night and thought it was a magic show Axel kept disapearing and reapearing ,yeah the music was great during the rare occasions they where actualy playing but axel was a complete a##+•|* no respect for fans no sorry for being so late and no thanks at the end of the show, the audiance where just left standing there he just finished the last song and then ran off to cry himself to sleep haveing scarey nightmares about flying beer and playing gigs on time,by the way anyone else who was there I lost a bottle, it's green it had carlsberg written on it oh yeah there was beer in it aswell, last seen heading in the direction of one whinebag little girly waster

WTF??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

WTF??

I think this is the one so-called fan we have to blame for ruining the gig so.

Advertisement