Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

U105.8 fm interview with Irish Times' Ronan McGreevy

hah hah bitter much Ronan, a good example of old fashioned impartial journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

U105.8 fm interview with Irish Times' Ronan McGreevy

I love that he said "I felt sorry for Axl."

"I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dms!

allanb49 wrote: »
    MYSPACE, What is this 2004, Come on that's bebo talk :pac:

Haha true, never really seen stuff like that on bebo though! It was more like
    "I listen to da deadly tunez wit da ladz sum buzz~"

those chain messages were all over myspace in it's day though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Axl gave everyone a fair warning

Fair to who? The 13,000+ people who had paid good money for tickets and weren't throwing anything?

Let's face facts. Axl thinks he can treat everyone around him as he pleases, including people who have made him a very rich man, but that he himself should be considered a deity who is entitled to act as he pleases if people irritate him in any way.

Irish people don't do star-worship like some other countries. If we feel like we're being had, the artist is going to know about it. I don't condone bottling, but Axl cannot expect to piss off thousands of paying punters without any negative response whatsoever.

Incidentally, I can't imagine what else MCD could have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

JAMM222 wrote: »
    i suppose it was the scumbags fault that he was an hour and a half late as well!
    The man is supposed to be a rock n roll star and he is afraid of a plastic bottle, what a wuss:eek:

Well anyone who is a real GNR fan would know that being an hour and a half late is what Axl has been doing for years. If you can't accept that as part of the gig then don't waste your money going to the concert. And definitely don't act like an utter scumbag by attempting to assault someone with a bottle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Well anyone who is a real GNR fan would know that being an hour and a half late is what Axl has been doing for years. If you can't accept that as part of the gig then don't waste your money going to the concert. And definitely don't act like an utter scumbag by attempting to assault someone with a bottle

you obviously think its "rock and roll" for him to treat his fans like that and people who pay to see a " tribute " band ??? people like you make me laugh , saying you guys are real fans because you know this is what axl does???, its not rock and roll at all , real "rock and rollers" would laugh at him the way he goes on !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

kona wrote: »
    IMO :
    DJ Ashba > Slash

sorry.

LMAO :D

Anyway, this is how you preform GnR classics for fans that have made you a multi millionaire:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

the man cant sing, dance or play any instrument anymore he looks like Mickey Rourke, he is too fat, and anyone who is afraid of a little plastic bottle is a wuss, it didnt even hit him

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

So to summarise:

* 14k odd people buy tickets for a rock singer/band that is legendary for his primadonna tendencies, stopping gigs if stuff gets thrown on stage and his habit of arriving up to 2 hours late on stage.
    * 14k odd people are then surprised when said singer/band arrives onstage 45 minutes late
    * 14K odd people are more surprised when said singer/band dislikes having shít/liquids thrown at him, his band and the electrical equipment on stage
    * 14k odd people listen to the singer warn the crowd that if shít continues to be thrown he will stop the gig
    * Small number of gobsheens (possibly just 1) decides to píss on everyone's night by continuing to throw stuff.
    * 14k odd people (especially the ar$e that thought he was great for thowing shít at the band) are even more surprised when the singer stops the gig after more shít is thrown
    * 14k odd people hear a weak excuse about technical difficulties
    * 14k odd people hear the promoter ask for patience and say that he is trying to convince the singer/band to return to the stage but people need to stop thowing shít
    * Unknown number of people ignore this and leave
    * Unknown number of people listen, stay and eventually the gig starts up again, fulfilling the band's contract with the promoter
    * Singer in a huff decides he's not gonna run around the stage thus probably improving his vocal performance for the rest of the gig.
    * Crowd doesn't like this because Liam Gallagher is the only person allowed to stand still at a gig
    * A disturbingly high percentage of posters condone the bottling, throwing of liquids at bands on stage (almost forgot that one)
    * The boards thread begins
    * People complain about being up past their bed times at a rock and roll gig
    * W. Axl Rose is unofficially crowned the devil with the title becoming official as soon as Joe Duffy makes time for him
    * Thread continues for ever and ever and ever until everyone get's bored.

* 14k odd people hear the promoter ask for patience and say that he is trying to convince the singer/band to return to the stage but people need to stop thowing shít
    * Unknown number of people ignore this and leave

I was one of the people who left - here is the scenario - it was NOT just to people 'Ignoring This' as you put it...

Axl & band leave stage at 10:50pm.
    Representative of Promoter / O2 try to calm crowd down (citing tech difficulties).
    Promoter then comes on himself to try same with crowd, explaing trying to get band back etc..
    Approx 11:05pm Main O2 House Lights Come On.
    Crowd wondering what's going on - certainly not a sign of a band about to return to the stage!
    11:15pm with Main O2 House lights still on & no further updates having being provided to the crowd, the local O2 Staff / Security people nearest me, indicated that the gig was now finished / over etc.. They told people that once the house lights came on, it signalled the end of the show & that the band would NOT be returning to the stage.
    They directed people to the exits & told them to contact MCD.ie to request the refunds everyone was asking about on the way out!

The band did come on after many had left - many who were told the gig was over & who had been directed towrds the exits etc.. Those people should be entitled to a refund - I don't care by who - but certainly a refund!

the man cant sing, dance or play any instrument anymore he looks like Mickey Rourke, he is too fat, and anyone who is afraid of a little plastic bottle is a wuss, it didnt even hit him

If I threw a bottle at you and I missed what would you do? Would you stand there and wait for me to throw another one at you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

OutlawPete wrote: »
    LMAO :D

Anyway, this is how you preform GnR classics for fans stupid c**ts that can't ever leave their poxy cameras in their pockets who have made you a multi millionaire:

bit more like it

If I threw a bottle at you and I missed what would you do? Would you stand there and wait for me to throw another one at you?

i would throw it back at you, or just ignore it,its a plastic bottle how much damage can it do? the biggest mistake he made is telling people to stop throwing bottles, if you tell drunk people not to do something the first thing they will do is the opposite of what you tell them,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was hit in the back with two bottles on separate occasions while waiting in the crowd last night. They were increadibly light. Annoying, but not something to run away crying over.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Have to disagree with this. I saw G'N'R ,sorry, Axl Rose back in the RDS in 2006. I don't remember him being 1 and 1/2 hours late for that concert. In fact, IIRC I thought it was a pretty decent concert (the duet with S. Bach from Skid Row being one of the highlights).

Yet silly old me thought that he'd do the same last night, maybe be a few minutes late but you know, we weren't the Reading Festival organisers so what has he got against us. Alas, same sh*t , different country. So I don't hold with this excuse of "ah well, he's been doing it for years, what did you really expect" because my personal experience contradicts this. And I wasn't at that gig on my own, I'm pretty sure there were several thousand others with me.

i would throw it back at you, or just ignore it,its a plastic bottle how much damage can it do? the biggest mistake he made is telling people to stop throwing bottles, if you tell drunk people not to do something the first thing they will do is the opposite of what you tell them,

Ah right then, so Axl should have told those fools to continue throwing bottles because they would have done the opposite and would have stopped because they were drunk. You should be Axl's PR man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Well apart from the fact that his voice sounded great, he had no issues playing the piano for November Rain and he has been dancing the same way for 25 years....

And it's a rock gig! I couldn't give 2 f*cks what the singer looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

How much are you paying? :D

Ah right then, so Axl should have told those fools to continue throwing bottles because they would have done the opposite and would have stopped because they were drunk. You should be Axl's PR man

no he should have ignored them, or he should have been on time in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Well apart from the fact that his voice sounded great, he had no issues playing the piano for November Rain and he has been dancing the same way for 25 years....

And it's a rock gig! I couldn't give 2 f*cks what the singer looks like!

You were probably the only person who heard his voice, it was mostly drowned out by his monkey's instruments. As for dancing when he came back on there was none, it was like watching a child who was told he couldn't go out, he just stood still and muttered the vocals we would've been better off if he didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

What type of musicians would you prefer?

In the spirit of 1916, probably volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bambi wrote: »
    bit more like it

I was at that gig. Great night it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

apart from everything else that's been said, there's something I don't really get.

Axl does this regularly, turning up late etc - as we know.

Yet he seems surprised and irritated when an audience who have been left waiting for ages seem roiled up by the time he gets there.

He's been doing this a long time I would understand it better if he could make it easier for himself IE

a) he was late anyway, and didn't give a f*ck and just got on with rocking peoples socks off, while taking a bit of flak along the way (people would come around)
    b) he realised that he can't/won't handle doing a show in the face of the such a reaction and got there at a reasonable hour to avoid it...

you can see from loadsa Youtube clips that he seems to have an almost identicle pre-rehearsed routine to deal with crowd trouble "stop!".."now, we're all here to have fun right?".."well we'd like to have fun...etc etc"

he's a bit mad really...

where did you get your statisics? Now 17??

The CSO published that yesterday.

Did you not read the Government report on 'Trends in Modern Popular Music in Ireland and the Correlation between Bad Taste and IQ'?

Joint study with the Departments of Health, Justice and Education and the ERSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

You were probably the only person who heard his voice, it was mostly drowned out by his monkey's instruments. As for dancing when he came back on there was none, it was like watching a child who was told he couldn't go out, he just stood still and muttered the vocals we would've been better off if he didn't bother.

No sh*t he didn't dance last night! I was replying to someone saying he can't sing, dance or play an instrument anymore when he quite evidentally can. I agree that he was like a spoilt child when he came back on but the man is still very talented regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

no he should have ignored them, or he should have been on time in the first place

Or handle it with style like Mike Patton who got coins thrown at him: 4 mins in:

zuutroy wrote: »
    I have to say the level of drunkenness was quite something.
    The sale of alcohol should be banned at gigs then. Like that's gonna happen.

MM, if you had a few pound in the pocket, standing beside a bar waiting hours for the hired entertainment to show up what do you think would happen? If GNR turned up on time less people would be racing to the bar and getting upholstered drunk unless they were total gack altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I don't drink. Makes no difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mataguri wrote: »
    Or handle it with style like Mike Patton who got coins thrown at him: 4 mins in:

Mike Patton has style though. Senor Rose, eh..... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was there last night, lots of bs being written here

first up the supporting band were still playing till 9.15pm so no chance were gnr coming on stage at 9. they did hit the stage at 10.25pm, axel got soaked with the first drink thrown at him and i could see he was mega pissed, the second bottle was just thrown on stage and he left

at no time did security tell us to leave btw so anyone who did leave (i assume a good 1/3 of the crowd) left of their own accord, i saw many leaving as soon as the band left the stage

if one thing comes out of this its hopefully that drinks are banned from the 02, what is it with irish gigs and people throwing liquids, i remember linkin park been showered with bottles in the rds a few years ago, pearl jam in june was insane, the floor was a river at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

I was not at the Gig but from everything I have heard it sounds like there is blame to be shared all round. most of the blame lies with MCD and Axl IMO. but the ****heads who threw bottles and those who support them are at fault too. it is never ok to throw missiles. yes other acts have laughed it off and not made an issue out of it but that does not make it ok. i think Axl was a whiny piece of **** but we know that about him. but for MCD to come out and say what they did today makes them to most guilty party in my book. they claim that people should have known GNR would have been late, so if thats the case then why book a support act in the first place, and why make them play for over an hour. people have to travel and rely on the last luas, bus etc to get home so when you book GnR to be on stage for 10:45 and claim people should have known they will be an hour late then makes you a bunch of *****. and when Axl stormed off to sulk you took waaaay too long to make any statement and the O2 staff were clearly told the gig was over.

Advertisement