Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

sabrewulf wrote: »
    It's amazing to see how GNR haters follow this thread all night just to tell everybody over and over again that they don't like the band...

I will have a kickin' time at the Dublin show... and something tells me all the haters will be back the next day reading the reviews and start bitching again... :D

haters1.jpg

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

An absolute disaster!! My girlfriend has been a big fan for years and couldnt wait to finally see them live ( even though it wasn't the original line up) We we're getting soaked up at the side of the stage from people throwing things, it didnt matter a tap to her she was in her element!! Then once they stormed off she was in tears about the whole situation...... We had to leave just after 11 to catch the last dart and were told outside by someone from the o2 to keep are tickets and email mcd for a full refund today, there isn't a hope i am letting this go with them untill i get a full refund.. Its an absolute disgrace that went on at a gig, peeople were thinking of leaving before they came on because they expected a riot to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I was at that gig. Great night it was.

I think you should go back and read that user's 'edit'.

Unless you think I'm a c*** too ;)

On a lighter note.

I was hoping that cute brunette that was on her b/f's shoulder would flash her bewbs, would have been nice of her ;)

Thought the bouncers telling her and others to get down was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Oh god, their gonna talk about it on Xpose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i was there last night, lots of bs being written here
    at no time did security tell us to leave btw so anyone who did leave (i assume a good 1/3 of the crowd) left of their own accord, i saw many leaving as soon as the band left the stage

Security and ushers told me the concert was over when the lights came on and there have been plenty of posts all day mentioning similar conversations with staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Raoul and the Kings of Spain

Hey there. We are looking for first hand feedback on the concert last night for our website. If you were there we'd love to hear from you:

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1908

I have mixed feelings on the gig. First, I hate people who throw shyt at concerts. However, if Axl showed upon time this would have reduced the negative actions drastically. Show up on time, problem solved.

It's a shame really because these guys put on an amazing show. Coming back on stage and sulking after the fact is also lame. Overall another lost opportunity imo. I've seen this band several times and they are fantastic when all cylinders are firing. It's a shame to see this dissolve into some type of mess every night.

Anyway, you're feedback would be appreciated. Come over and tell your story, thanks. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was hit in the back with two bottles on separate occasions while waiting in the crowd last night. They were increadibly light. Annoying, but not something to run away crying over.

That's fine if you're just standing in a crowd. Ever tried to play on stage with stuff being thrown at you? Doesn't matter if the projectiles are 'increadibly light' - I can assure you it's extremely off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i was there last night, lots of bs being written here

first up the supporting band were still playing till 9.15pm so no chance were gnr coming on stage at 9. they did hit the stage at 10.25pm, axel got soaked with the first drink thrown at him and i could see he was mega pissed, the second bottle was just thrown on stage and he left

at no time did security tell us to leave btw so anyone who did leave (i assume a good 1/3 of the crowd) left of their own accord, i saw many leaving as soon as the band left the stage

if one thing comes out of this its hopefully that drinks are banned from the 02, what is it with irish gigs and people throwing liquids, i remember linkin park been showered with bottles in the rds a few years ago, pearl jam in june was insane, the floor was a river at the end

Your statement above relates to you..Many others including myself were indeed told in no uncertain terms by O2 Staff / Security that once the House Lights came on that signalled that the gig was over & that the band were definately not coming back onstage. I was then directed towards the exits, along with everyone in my vicinity etc.. We did not just walk out without reason. Also after that second annoucement by the promoter, that they were working to get the band back - when the O2 Houselights just came on & as there was no follow up annoucement, - that's not the indication of a band about to come back onstage etc.. Refunds should be issued to anyone told the gig was over & directed towards the exists.. I have video evidence to support my claim & I have sent that, along with my request for a refund to: contact@mcd.ie as directed by the MCD Office when I rang this evening (after ringing the O2 to get contact info for MCD!)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I was hoping that cute brunette that was on her b/f's shoulder would flash her bewbs, would have been nice of her ;)

Yes, there was a severe shortage of dirty rock chicks last night. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I have defended this band no end on boards but there was no excuse for last night. It was a disgrace and Axl Rose and MCD have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I've said before - on both GnR threads - it ain't MCD's fault that Axl is a tool. At least give them that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Tweet from DJ Ashba:
    Many thx to all of you who stuck it out with us last night, turning a negative night into a positive one, and for not allowing a few bad apples in the crowd to spoil our fun! Here in Rome, this place is in-f%$#ing-sane!!! Wow, it's beyond beautiful here. Got to get some zzzzzzz...... ttyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Security told people to leave and many jumped on the LUAS and ****ed off thinking it was over. People were under the impression that the show would end or HAVE to end at 11.30. People were also told that if they had a car in the carpark after 12 they would be fined €100.

In terms of organisation, it was a farce.

Same happened at the Metallica gig in Marlay Park in 08. Good gig ruined by s***e organisation, and a s***e venue.

lol at the guy on the news. 2/3 left...they did like ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Many GNRs fans killed.

Many GNRs haters born.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Your statement above relates to you..Many others including myself were indeed told in no uncertain terms by O2 Staff / Security that once the House Lights came on that signalled that the gig was over & that the band were definately not coming back onstage. I was then directed towards the exits, along with everyone in my vicinity etc.. We did not just walk out without reason. Also after that second annoucement by the promoter, that they were working to get the band back - when the O2 Houselights just came on & as there was no follow up annoucement, - that's not the indication of a band about to come back onstage etc.. Refunds should be issued to anyone told the gig was over & directed towards the exists.. I have video evidence to support my claim & I have sent that, along with my request for a refund to: contact@mcd.ie as directed by the MCD Office when I rang this evening (after ringing the O2 to get contact info for MCD!)

we walked all over the floor and never once did security either tell us or usher us towards the exit, i didn't see security tell anyone else either, i can't speak for those in the seats but down below on the floor that was the case. i saw security forcefully remove one guy near the stage but that was it. i have been in that venue on numerous occasions since it re-opened and have been often told to leave (prime example was during ufc93 with my disabled friend), however i saw nothing of the sort last night

i did however see with my own eyes people taking it upon themselves to leave by the hundreds as soon as the band left the stage (within seconds)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toby13

Same happened at the Metallica gig in Marlay Park in 08. Good gig ruined by s***e organisation, and a s***e venue.

They Keep getting away with Murder!!!!!!!!

toby13 wrote: »
    They Keep getting away with Murder!!!!!!!!

The only way to hurt artists like this is to stay away from the gigs, and keep your money in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Dont know if it was mentioned but six-one news say MCD will not Refund for last night

• Advertisement

trying hard to remember the problem with metallica in marlay park in 2008, i was there, that was the one with tenancious d supporting right?? big traffic jam on the way is what i remember, been to marlay a few times since then and no traffic problems :(

as for venue marlay park >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> punchestown, i would never ever ever :p step foot in that joke of venue again after ac/dc

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    That's fine if you're just standing in a crowd. Ever tried to play on stage with stuff being thrown at you? Doesn't matter if the projectiles are 'increadibly light' - I can assure you it's extremely off-putting.

Oh boo hoo. Suck it up and rock on.

As people keep pointing out, this was a rock show. If Axel Rose can use that excuse for being late/to be expected then the audience can use the same one too.

Light plastic bottles ffs. You'd think the crowd were throwing bags of hammers.

Huge traffic jam on the way in. Myself n my brother were sent to the wrong car park for disabled parking - twice.

We then had to queue for over an hour down that stupid ****ing lane to get to the arena.

It took us over 2 hours to get out of the venue. When I rang up MCD the following day, the b*tch on the phone was as smug as anything. As long as they got the money, they didn't give a ****.

To be fair though, Axl's potential to throw hissy fits is outside of their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ger123

Some amount of bull**** been written here, especially by people who where not even at gig.

Im not going into whole story as I feel most of the stuff has already been reported, over an over.

But just want to add.

1. People standing at the barrier at the front could not hear what announcers where saying. So what does that tell you???

2. Guys smoking everywhere prior to the 10.25 start time, when complained to security, did nothing, asked them to get guards, they got their manager, and he said "nothing they can do because of the kind of concert it is...." wtf. And this was before the trouble.

3. Security didn't seem interested in peoples complaints, so why the **** would they care that stuff was been thrown.

4. Security and Stewards did indeed tell people to start leaving and go home, after band off stage for 30mins and house lights up.

5. The last 4 or 5 concerts ive been at, the main band comes on at the time printed "show starts at" and the warmup act comes on after "doors open at"
    This being the case, they where 2 and a half hrs late on.

I blame the O2 for all this, and their security and staff.

And pls stop the BS comments, Axl is known for this, 2006...... 8 o clock on the button he came on, missed the first song cause in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

RonMexico wrote: »
    In terms of organisation, it was a farce.

I agree and it's not as if people didn't expect a delay, I think we all thought we were looking at a 9.45 show.

When Danko went off the stage I went outside for 45 minutes to get food and have a beer sitting at the waterfront, many did also.

So the criticisms of people saying: "What did you expect.." - don't hold water as nobody mined a wait, we know Axl's form afterall.

It was the length of the wait when taken in context to the curfew that annoyed people.

If it turns out that MCD and O2 granted an extension to that curfew and didn't tell the crowd, then they should issue refunds, as that is THEIR fault.

They should have announced over the tannoy that concert will be running late and may go on past midnight, people could have made a few phone calls or a text and sorted arrangements.

Then all Axl would have had to say was:

"Sorry for the late start, looks like we'll be here till after midnight, is that okay with you Dublin"

There would have no boos then, only cheers.

Dublin crowds are the of the best in the world and it sickens me that this will be a reflection of us throughout the world.

I wish those drinks weren't thrown as it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened at 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

WIZE wrote: »
    Dont know if it was mentioned but six-one news say MCD will not Refund for last night

Why should they?.. They got away with the Yusef Islam farce too (same venue).

I believe the people who said security directed them outside, I was ushered out of the Yusef concert too. Then because there was trouble outside, ushered back inside but wasn't allowed back to my sit because of trouble in the seating area's.

MCD will keep the head low for a few days and things will blow over, same as it ever was!.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I wish those drinks weren't thrown as it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened at 11pm.

does the curfew exist in the o2, i know a curfew for outdoor gigs with neighbouring residents is a smart thing but indoor seems strange, you have live bands playing music in town till the early hours in pubs

pearl jam played till after 11 if memory serves me correct

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I mentioned this earlier and a quick google found the article i was looking for. It says it all. Slash talking about the Metallica/GnR tour from his bio.
    In May 1992, we announced that we would coheadline a summer tour with Metallica. There could not have been a bigger rock-and-roll bill at the time. It was too cool: they had just released The Black Album, and we were riding high with Use Your Illusion I and II.....

The tour started in Washington D.C. in July 1992. We had a meeting before it began because the Metallica camp was concerned: we were having major problems getting onstage on time. Metallica was not a band to pull that kind of **** at all, so they wisely opted to play first so as to avoid being pulled down by our bull****....

I have so much respect for James Hetfield - I think he's one of the most prolific singer-songwriter-guitarists ever. I had looked up to the band since Master of Puppets. When we set out to do that tour, part of me was excited and part of me was worried about how it was all going to work and whether Axl was going to adjust. Metallica was a no-frills, hardworking road band; they did long tours, they never went on late - there was no bull****. They were macho about their work ethic and dedicated to their fans, which I thought was commendable as well. They represented everything that mattered to me professionally, and I didn't want to see it get ****ed up; I didn't want to let them down....

From the start of the tour, Axl was out to impress Metallica and everyone else - in his way. He brought up the idea of having backstage parties every single night, themed parties...... The Metallica guys, off the bat disassociated themselves from that whole freak show....

It was humiliating and embarrassing how lame those parties were and how disappointed Metallica was that we couldn't even get on stage on time....

I think that the reason Axl went on stage so late, and never understood how offensive, selfish and inconsiderate it was to everyone involved - from the fans to the bands - was that he saw it as something other than what it was... Somewhere in his mind he thought that it was cool to keep people waiting, as if it served to build anticipation.....

Metallica were earning the exact same paycheck as we were every night, but while they pocketed the whole thing, we were blowing 80 percent both on union dues for all of the overtime we cost ourselves going on late and on these stupid theme parties. It was just bad.....

It all went down in Montreal, on August 8, 1992. Metallica went on, and midway through their set, James Hetfield caught on fire when a pyrotechnic malfunctioned and they were forced to end their set immediately. We were still at our hotel when it happened, and we were asked to go on early - it was a non-issue; of course we agreed to do so. The band headed down to the venue right away and discussed what we'd play to fill up the remainder of Metallica's slot and ours as well. We had plenty of time to go over our options but it couldn't happen because Axl did not show up.....

Not only did we not go on early enough to fill the void left by Metallica, we went on three hours later than our OWN scheduled stage time. In the end it was something like four hours between the time Metallica were forced to stop the show and the moment we took the stage, and once we did, Axl ended it early.... it was a very tense time - a major straw on the camel's back for me and for everybody in our camp. It was actually a huge issue for me because I'd lost face with everyone in Metallica. We didn't keep our promise to them, the fans, or to ourselves to put on the best show possible. I felt like an ass and I couldn't look James, Lars, or anyone from their band in eye for the rest of the tour.....

When we set off again on August 25, James had one of their techs play guitar for him while he sang; he was right out front with a big cast on his arm. That's how cool there were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Raoul and the Kings of Spain

I'm curious how many concert goers generally depend on public transportation and what time does that end?

• Advertisement

For the several hundredth time there is no curfew in the O2 because its a soundproofed indoor venue.

Advertisement