Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That wasn't a review, that was a message from Tickets There - said it all in the title and I even pointed out that I was making the comment before 'rushing into a review'

Don't blame you for not going back though, that message wasn't posted to make friends.

Official sources included the Security guys and MCD. Nothing else of a factual background has been released yet and that's as close as you're going to get. Also comparing times to Belfast gig.

So your official sources have told you one thing yet told countless others on this thread pretty much the opposite. Hmmmm someones telling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

No-one is going to pay €72 to €85 for a gig if they're not a fan of the band. But being a fan doesn't mean you're blind to their glaring flaws and dick-baggery.

I bought my ticket like everyone else and I knew what could possibly happen if things went sour. I still paid it, even when I couldn't really afford it and look what happened.

I don't blame the band for not wanting to be hit by bottles, I blame the fans who threw them and the fans who put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Well, I told ye my sources, can't swear by it ad that's why it's not mentioned in the review. But the O2 Carpark just had to stay open I suppose. Was it still open at 01:00am?
    If you mean the Point Village carpark they were staying open till 1am for the concert and that was made aware to myself via a phone call to them hours before the concert started.

lordgoat wrote: »
    So your official sources have told you one thing yet told countless others on this thread pretty much the opposite. Hmmmm someones telling lies.

Sorry, I didn't realize that people were suddenly so well informed using unofficial - headline searching media outlets.

I prefer the truth rather than a bunch of people pissed off because they didn't get to see a proper concert.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If you mean the Point Village carpark they were staying open till 1am for the concert and that was made aware to myself via a phone call to them hours before the concert started.

Ah there we go!

• Advertisement

I really doubt that. That sounds like a re-written version of North Korean history.

Or maybe it is a case of Chinese Democracy....

Who knows, that's hat I was told though. Then again another poster here was told something that conflicts with times on the night so...?

Bottom line, people had to wait for 80 mins after the support. For 40 mins the stage was being set up, for the other 40 we were left standing, waiting and drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Peddle on buddy, peddle on.... Enough of this fanboi-ism *adds user to ignore list*

But you miss the fact that Danko Jones's set was extended by an hour.

Why? Because Axl was more than 40 minutes late!

Didn't notice, they played pretty much the same length they did in Belfast. They were pretty **** so I tried my best to drink it out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sorry, I didn't realize that people were suddenly so well informed using unofficial - headline searching media outlets.

I prefer the truth rather than a bunch of people pissed off because they didn't get to see a proper concert.

Well you see i find it difficult to believe you when you've already made up a curfew and are generally ridiculously biased towards "Guns".

I'd also believe regular posters in gigs/events over you as all of them have no reason to lie or make shi-t up. You however seem to have trouble accepting that the lead singer of "guns" acted like a spoilt child and is directly responsible for what happened last night.

Plus you are the only one with this story yet there are many others contradicting you. Many people > one person.

Peddle on buddy, peddle on.... Enough of this fanboi-ism *adds user to ignore list*

Well, didn't think I'd make much headway here. I know how much people spent and now consider wasted on this concert - I'm in the same boat.

I hope people will try to see there was a factoring element that drove the band off stage and appreciate that actual fans of the band are annoyed at their efforts more than the bands, who did exactly what they always do by turning up late. At least it wasn't two/three hours and at least they played a full show, drama and all.

I doubt they'll be back soon so don;t worry, yer money won't be wasted on them again any time soon. If anyone wants to continue discussing the shows, I'll be over on TT.

Sorry if I annoyed anyone, this isn't my normal forum but I saw alot of visitors coming from here and thought I'd drop by to see what the craic was.

All the best,
    Tickets There

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Well you see i find it difficult to believe you when you've already made up a curfew and are generally ridiculously biased towards "Guns".

I'd also believe regular posters in gigs/events over you as all of them have no reason to lie or make shi-t up. You however seem to have trouble accepting that the lead singer of "guns" acted like a spoilt child and is directly responsible for what happened last night.

Plus you are the only one with this story yet there are many others contradicting you. Many people > one person.

Cool, I won't try and convince you otherwise. Your entitled to believe what ever you like. Free country and all.

I hope people will try to see there was a factoring element that drove the band of stage.
    The factoring element being Axl himself, the guy was in a mood from the start even before the plastic bottle.

The factoring element being Axl himself, the guy was in a mood from the start even before the plastic bottle.

Yeah, booing probably started that.

Last comment, I promise.

Yeah right :rolleyes:, him getting dragged from his hotel room more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Agree big time. The scene of the poor guy trying chasing after him trying to get his mike sorted was a sign of bad things to come. Axl threw his first strop at that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

hmm axls lack of performance when they came back on was the nail in the coffin spoilt ****ing ****head..and this is coming from someone who has followed this band over europe!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

he wasn't 90 mins late, he was 40 minutes late. Any changeover from support to main act takes 30/40 minutes. Axl too another 40 mins on top of that.

That's 80, but half the time was changing the stage set-up. Fair enough people are pissed but at least use the facts to bad mouth them.

I rang the O2 yesterday and was told they were due on stage at 9pm:rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,332 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bottom line, people had to wait for 80 mins after the support. For 40 mins the stage was being set up, for the other 40 we were left standing, waiting and drinking.

After the support act was extended by 45 minutes because Axl was busy drinking champers in the Westbury or whatever he was doing that was so important.

Last comment, I promise.

Was it Irish fans booing that made him act like that in Reading? Or Leeds? Or when they were touring North America in January? Or basically his entire life? The guy is an all-time great song-writer, and it was for that reason I went to see him one more time. But he is a loose cannon and it takes very little for him to get in a strop. That happened last night and has been happening a lot this past year.

Gridlock wrote: »
    I rang the O2 yesterday and was told they were due on stage at 9pm:rolleyes

But the O2 are not as good as ticketsthere's "sources" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yeah right :rolleyes:, him getting dragged from his hotel room more like.
    He was too busy enjoying his room service in the 4 seasons. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right has anyone seen or heard any mention of this farrago on RTE? Newstalk and Today FM have covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

mike65 wrote: »
    Right has anyone seen or heard any mention of this farrago on RTE? Newstalk and Today FM have covered it.

Six-One news had a short piece on it,clip of the YT video posted here earlier and an interview with a guy who was at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Jesus That was the most pathetic thing ive ever seen from an act (i wasnt at the gig) im suprised the reading crowd didnt shower them in bottles after what happened there. Like 2/3 cups were thrown which was not bad considering they were very late and they pussied out

there have been much worse bottling incidences were the band continued on. this springs to mind http://www.nme.com/news/panic-at-the-disco/24084 the singer got knocked out and yet still continued on.

From MCD.ie

'they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs'
    But sher, support only finished at 9 last night, same in Belfast. Times are correct - curfew was 12:00 last night.
    Just been talking to another person that was at the concert and have come across the same thing been mentioned again and again on various other forums and comments on media sites:

The O2 last night had an 11pm curfew, the person I spoke too who was with a group of others said they were told by O2 staff the O2 was to close at 11.30 and GnR were to preform around 9 - 9:15pm and to finish up at 11pm. So that tallies up with what I and others around me were told by MCD staff in the place what time GnR were to come on, we were all told 9 - 9:15pm also.

Do the maths then, 2 hour set which is the norm. If the curfew time of 11pm is correct and they came on at 9:45pm you get a 1 hour and 15 mintue set. Now with all that happened last night in the end they played for near 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

This gig, in the words of Fr. Ted, "is a sham! And a fraud! And a...sham!" Axl Rose's stock has surely gone from hero to zero in the eyes of any fans he had left.

The "missiles" being thrown were harmless, and more intended as a reminder that people were not going to take his sh1t. He's about as rock and roll as Jedward...maybe he should take a leaf from Mike Patton's book...

there have been much worse bottling incidences were the band continued on. this springs to mind http://www.nme.com/news/panic-at-the-disco/24084 the singer got knocked out and yet still continued on.

It's a shame that they didn't catch the cunt who threw the object and barred him for life from any gig ran by the company aswell as getting the police to arrest and prosecute him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That sucks. Sorry to hear about that self inflated ego ruining the night. All I can say is remember this the next time they are scheduled to play Dublin.

Damn right. These non Irish entities coming over to Ireland making themselves think they can cash in on our naiveity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Well to all the Axl haters FUUUUCK YOU. I was still proudly blasting my GnR all day today. Fact is the majority of the crowd did not want to see the new band, only showed up to watch Axl as if he was a new circus attraction. Add to that the scum drunk off their face starting fights and generally causing crap...was disappointed to still hear the wheres slash shouts thought we had got over that by now, an example of the crowd poor Axl had to stoop to to perform last night - at one stage he was singing away, to the right there was a guy trying to get the bouncers to throw a guy out for fighting, to the left there were knackers from drogheda or navan direction feeling a foreign guys girlfriend then starting on him telling him to **** off out of the country, all in between chants of **** you axl and booing, and to top it off was some dickhead behind me shouting over and over 'we want axl', all while axl was actually performing.
    Problem being its Guns n Roses - "the most dangerous band in the world", what made Axl so famous, is now kicking him up the hole.
    Oh well, will have to travel abroad now whenever I want to see the new lineup play again.
    I say fair balls to Axl to still have the heart to get up there.....but horrible to see how he's had to succumb to the corporate monster of money and legalities by being forced to come back on stage and go through the motions. 20 years ago he'd be gone baby gone.

Advertisement