Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese recipes

Options
  • 04-06-2010 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows what the recipe is for cantonese style sweet n sour chicken like they make in the chinese takeaway?

I tried another recipe that I found online but it was some american one and was a bit of a disaster really. I'd like to get the chicken as they do and also the sauce.

Anyone know how both are done and the recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I think that Chinese takeaways make most of their stuff from packets because it is virtually identical everywhere. I could be wrong of course, but that's my theory. You probably wouldn't go too wrong by going to a Chinese supermarket and asking about it there... btw I think there was a similar post to yours a little while back so you could do a search for that.

One thing I would say it that sweet and sour is a clear sauce so it is probably thickened with arrowroot and not flour/cornflour.

Anyway, do let us know if you find a good recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Not sure of the exact measurements.

To make the chicken us a chicken breast, cut it into nice thinish strips. Marinate it in some sesame oil, salt and white pepper. 15 to 20 minutes should be enough. Add in an egg and mix til all the chicken is coated. Then put some potato starch (can get in the asian shops) into a bowl, one by one put each chicken piece into the potato starch. Deep fry the chicken til golden brown.

For the sauce I usually use the following, pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar and sugar. Again I'm the type of cook that doesn't follow exact measurements becasue I make it so often and use my instinct, sorry !

Heat up a pan, add some oil and fry some onion, green peppers, pineapple pieces, carrots- if you want- doesn't take long to cook- less than a minute. If not you can just add a cup of pineapple juice, 3 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar to a pan. Add more vinegar if it's not sour enough. Let it boil on medium heat. To thicken sauce up you can use some corn starch, put 2 tablespoons into a bowl, add some water, not alot just enough that the corn starch has mixed into the water, 2 tablespoons should be enough, if it hasn't mixed through properly then add a little bit more water little by litte. Add this to the sauce, again little by little while stiring. This should thicken the sauce up. Then add your chicken.

This is roughly how I'd do my sweet and sour chicken :) Again with sweet and sour sauce measurements, just taste as you go along and see what it is missing, e.g. some sweet, add ketchup, some sour, add vinegar !

Advertisement