Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bib shorts

• 04-06-2010 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

What are the advantages over normal cycling shorts?

And do team shorts tend to only come in bib form?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

You don't show your backside off to the world.

The crotch doesn't hang down and won't get snagged in the tip of the saddle

And much more comfortable as Lumen said...

I can't believe they even still make non bib shorts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

the dont have a waistband which cuts into you on any long cycle.

they stay in place.

they are much much much more comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Mine are plain black and I feel like a skinny wrestler when I wear them. I consider this an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've only been wearing them a few weeks now (having been wearing baggies before) and the only downside I can find is that they make you sweat a little more on your lower back when it's very warm out. Your nipples can also come in for some chafing if the straps aren't lined up right.

I used to use padded undershorts, but the padding and the comfort just doesn't compare to the bib shorts. They're also very charitable on the midrift if you're paunchy like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

im sold, i have been looking at normal shorts and bib shorts for a while, is there anything i should look out for in the shorts. (price, brand etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

These questions were discussed in some detail recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055929717&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

except that thread is mainly about the Assos BIB which are bit pricey for an entry level cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

You can expect to pay at least €30 for a pair of shorts.

These are pretty good shorts but are in white=fair weather cycling

Often shorts will be on special if they are bigger sizes, or sometimes smaller sizes.

Perhaps wait till after the UK budget for a better exchange rate, but I think vat is expected to rise aswell? Maybe these online stores will wait a while before passing on the vat rise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

The difference is, once you wear bibs, your shorts will be demoted to the back of the closet. I thought shorts were fine, until I tried Bibs-wore shorts maybe 5 times in the last two years and that was on rides less than an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

Bicycle line texas are good if you're near a stockist. Around the €50 mark in most shops.

www.chaindrivencycles.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seamus wrote: »
    I've only been wearing them a few weeks now (having been wearing baggies before) and the only downside I can find is that they make you sweat a little more on your lower back when it's very warm out. Your nipples can also come in for some chafing if the straps aren't lined up right.

thats why i always wear a baselayer under the straps !

one of these on a warm day
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2715

normal thermals on cool days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Does anyone know what the Rapha Bibshorts are like?

Vélo wrote: »

£145 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

£145 :eek:

Assos can be dearer.

Assos can be dearer.

true - dont have any of them either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I have the 3/4 length which I think are great, and suit perfect for most of the year. I also have the team shorts (from 2008, got them in a sale) which are very nice. Quality is excellent and certainly up there with Assos I would think. Don't think you would be disappointed, although ROK ON can prob give you more info on them as he would have more miles up on them than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Am I the only one who finds bibs less comfortable? I tried bibs and felt like I was getting a wedgie all the time.

Got some dhb shorts I really liked so ordered about 3 more, got a couple of pairs of dhb leggings and love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Am I the only one who finds bibs less comfortable?

Yes!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I think this weeks cycling weekly had a review of ten bib shorts, and rated assos ahead of them on chamois quality afair

They also gave the skins shorts a good rating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement