Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get line art ready to print?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

This is a follow on from the 'very very basic photoshop question' thread...

I have my line art all done, and looking good but what do I do now? I want to print it 2 ways, one on photo paper and one as a poster.

How do I save it? What do I do with the layers? What format do I save it in?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭majnus

Save it as PDF, but ask for specification of the file that printers are accepting, for example one magazine I am dealing with wants PDF v 1.3 and they won't print anything else...

Don't forget about resolution not smaller than 300dpi.

What software did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you mean to print it yourself? What is the size and resolution of the document and what size do you want to print the poster. Presumably the one on photo paper will be 100%.

If you are just printing yourself it doesn't matter too much about the layers etc, you could save it as a psd. However it would be better to save (a copy) as a .tif with no layers to make it accessible to other systems, and a reasonable size file.

If you made it at a resolution of 72dpi, which is the default, your 100% will be ok, though it would be better at 150 for a desktop printer. If the poster is to be bigger than 100% at 72dpi, then your printout may not be that great, you can not really increase Photoshop documents more than about 10-20% before the quality starts to deteriorate and if it is 72 dpi I would not increase it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭flycruise

majnus wrote: »
    Save it as PDF, but ask for specification of the file that printers are accepting, for example one magazine I am dealing with wants PDF v 1.3 and they won't print anything else...

Don't forget about resolution not smaller than 300dpi.

What software did you use?
    looksee wrote: »
    Do you mean to print it yourself? What is the size and resolution of the document and what size do you want to print the poster. Presumably the one on photo paper will be 100%.

If you are just printing yourself it doesn't matter too much about the layers etc, you could save it as a psd. However it would be better to save (a copy) as a .tif with no layers to make it accessible to other systems, and a reasonable size file.

If you made it at a resolution of 72dpi, which is the default, your 100% will be ok, though it would be better at 150 for a desktop printer. If the poster is to be bigger than 100% at 72dpi, then your printout may not be that great, you can not really increase Photoshop documents more than about 10-20% before the quality starts to deteriorate and if it is 72 dpi I would not increase it at all.

Thanks for all the info.

I am taking it to Harvey Norman tomorrow to print the poster and picture.

I used photoshop.

So can i save it as a .psd onto a usb and just bring it to a photo booth?

Looksee, re saving the copy as a tif, how do I save it without layers?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭majnus

flycruise wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info.

I am taking it to Harvey Norman tomorrow to print the poster and picture.

I used photoshop.

So can i save it as a .psd onto a usb and just bring it to a photo booth?

Looksee, re saving the copy as a tif, how do I save it without layers?

Just merge the layers before saving as tiff (Layer > flatten image).

I wouldn't save it as a .psd, I doubt they will have photoshop at Harveys... PDF or TIFF would be the best option to go with.

Re resolution, 72dpi is not good to print at all, 72dpi is a screen resolution, 150dpi is a minimum for a desktop printer, 300dpi is recommended print resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭flycruise

Thanks majnus,

Will be doing this tonight so hopefully it will work out,

Thanks for all your help,

No doubt I'll be back with more q's again! THANKS :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement