Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you read the ticket today? Who is it?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Did you read the revolver column in the ticket today?

Any idea who this 'amazing' album is by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

What's the point in having a press session if it's not being released and they can't publish anything about it? (though I would like to know who it is)

Here's the article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2010/0604/1224271774641.html
    The best one I was ever at was this week. We pitched up at an anonymous big house in a city centre. Nothing on the door revealed what goes on in the big house (it’s actually a venue of sorts). After handing over our mobile devices, we were whisked upstairs to a very large room where we mixed with a bunch of Australian media who had flown over to Europe for the session. If you fly from Australia to Europe just for a listening session, you know the album is a very important one.

The first song comes on. It’s marvellous – like Arcade Fire playing Cajun music as if their career depended on it. And it just gets better from there: different moments remind you of bits of Love’s Forever Changes , The Flying Burrito Brothers version of Wild Horses , Hamburg-era Beatles, Tom Petty, Bill Hailey, crooner-era Elvis. Bits of David Sylvian and Tim Buckley in there.

It’s a stunning piece of work – one of the best things I’ve heard in the past five years. It’s by a big-name star – one of the biggest – but sorry, we’ve been asked not to say just yet. It’s not that there’s a veil of secrecy around the album, it’s more that nobody still really knows who played what or who wrote what on the album. News of the album’s later-this-year release date is out there, but details are weirdly scant. It will be top of many people’s album-of-the-year list, though.

When the last track ends, the man behind the album steps forward from the back of the room and says casually “I was just passing by and thought I’d come in for a few words”. He, too, realises how artificial and stilted these listening sessions can be, and he says something along the lines of having had many surreal moments in his career but this being possibly the biggest. Which is really saying something if you knew his back story.

He tells us the album was recorded in just two weeks (“****ing phenomenal”, as he says himself) and was played by a bunch of people who had “nothing to lose”. A tip of his hat, and he’s gone. So beautifully mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Pure guess, just for the fun of it, would be that it's some sort of "supergroup" effort, with Dave Grohl at the helm, possibly the second Them Crooked Vultures album, but despite John Paul Jones' multi-instrumentalist role, some of the comparisons to other acts don't exactly strike me as being fitting.
    I'm guessing this purely on the basis of the references to Hamburg-era Beatles (he was in the Backbeat studio band) and Tom Petty (he's a huge fan). Plus the lines about the fact that it's "more that nobody still really knows who played what or who wrote what on the album" and the one about "having had many surreal moments in his career but this being possibly the biggest. Which is really saying something if you knew his back story".
    My wife, sir, she loves Dave Grohl...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Pure guess, just for the fun of it, would be that it's some sort of "supergroup" effort, with Dave Grohl at the helm, possibly the second Them Crooked Vultures album, but despite John Paul Jones' multi-instrumentalist role, some of the comparisons to other acts don't exactly strike me as being fitting.
    I'm guessing this purely on the basis of the references to Hamburg-era Beatles (he was in the Backbeat studio band) and Tom Petty (he's a huge fan). Plus the lines about the fact that it's "more that nobody still really knows who played what or who wrote what on the album" and the one about "having had many surreal moments in his career but this being possibly the biggest. Which is really saying something if you knew his back story".
    My wife, sir, she loves Dave Grohl...
    Dave Grohl and David Sylvian do not belong in the same sentence. I'm intrigued but haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Going off 'big star' (singular) and the genre of music I'd go with Nick Cave or Tom Waits.

They both haven't relased anyting in a while either I think.

judas101 wrote:
    Going off 'big star' (singular) and the genre of music I'd go with Nick Cave or Tom Waits.
    I'm gonna hazard and guess and say Nick Cave too. After reading it again, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. Especially the back story and the room full of aussie journos. That or Bernard Fanning's (Powderfinger) new solo album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a big-name star – one of the biggest

hardly Nick Cave based on that description, besides his next album is supposedly from his "Grinderman" project. The aussie journalists thing is a red herring - perhaps they weren't bothered doing a session in Australia so invited them to the European one.
    News of the album’s later-this-year release date is out there, but details are weirdly scant.

here's a list

perhaps this? - his last album was highly acclaimed, and featured cajun and country influences...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I read the last parargraph first and thought... EMINEM
    Then I read
    The first song comes on. It’s marvellous – like Arcade Fire playing Cajun music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

loyatemu wrote: »
    perhaps this? - his last album was highly acclaimed, and featured cajun and country influences...

Good guess I'd say. The only thing saying it wouldn't be him is he isn't really regarded as a "big" solo artist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What's Bowie at these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

loyatemu wrote: »

Looks like this was bang on, this was posted over in the gigs and events section...

http://manicnirvana.com/newswire/?p=943

• Advertisement
Advertisement