Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Irish Bank Wont Take Cash

Options
  • 04-06-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Ok so im on social welfare and they will not pay into a bank account. I get my social welfare money walk down to national irish bank and pay it into my account over the counter. This week my branch went cashless so they now dont take cash which is a real pain now as i cant pay my bills. NIB say they are coming online with the post office but it will be a few months before this happens. Im thinking I will have to move banks does anyone know of a bank that offers a basic bank account with no credit facilities? I do not want to go with AIB as I have had issues with them in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ulster Bank have a step account, which is a current account with no credit facilities etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I too have problems with banks. I left AIB as they were unable to see my direct debits although they had been set up and were active for about 3 months and they also didn't do availability balances. I went to Halifax and was very happy there, but they left! :(
    I'm now with Permanent TSB for about 3 weeks and am really disappointed with them. Their website was down the first week "due to maintenance" and their phone lines were down too but the message said to check their website for details!!
    They tell me they are stopping DD and then let them go through, they say they are letting DD go through "this time" then stop them.
    Their laser Debit card doesn't work online, they plan to bring out Visa Debit cards in August, but you will only get one once you use your laser card in an ATM or purchase something with it.
    This morning alone, I'm having a huge problem because I want to pay seller fees on eBay but TSB only do online Credit Card transactions. I don't have, or want, a credit card.
    I now want to move banks again, but I believe the four Irish banks are as bad as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

cardol wrote: »
    I too have problems with banks. I left AIB as they were unable to see my direct debits although they had been set up and were active for about 3 months and they also didn't do availability balances. I went to Halifax and was very happy there, but they left! :(
    I'm now with Permanent TSB for about 3 weeks and am really disappointed with them. Their website was down the first week "due to maintenance" and their phone lines were down too but the message said to check their website for details!!
    They tell me they are stopping DD and then let them go through, they say they are letting DD go through "this time" then stop them.
    Their laser Debit card doesn't work online, they plan to bring out Visa Debit cards in August, but you will only get one once you use your laser card in an ATM or purchase something with it.
    This morning alone, I'm having a huge problem because I want to pay seller fees on eBay but TSB only do online Credit Card transactions. I don't have, or want, a credit card.
    I now want to move banks again, but I believe the four Irish banks are as bad as each other.

I can only say, go with Ulster Step account + Visa Debit, I have this and works ok with paypal, also their online banking is OK (but could be better)

I spoke to someone yesterday at Ulster Bank and she was very helpful.

However, there is one thing I don't get.
    When I was with AIB, Halifax and recently TSB, they all allowed Euro transactions to UK without a charge. There was a €12.00 charge if the transaction was urgent and it would arrive the next day as opposed to 4-5 working days normally.
    But Ulster Bank told me yesterday they have a standard charge of €12.00 per Euro transaction and a more expensive charge for urgent transactions. She said she couldn't understand why I hadn't been charged before in the other banks.

Does anyone have a similiar experience with transfering money to UK with other banks?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I spoke to someone yesterday at Ulster Bank and she was very helpful.

However, there is one thing I don't get.
    When I was with AIB, Halifax and recently TSB, they all allowed Euro transactions to UK without a charge. There was a €12.00 charge if the transaction was urgent and it would arrive the next day as opposed to 4-5 working days normally.
    But Ulster Bank told me yesterday they have a standard charge of €12.00 per Euro transaction and a more expensive charge for urgent transactions. She said she couldn't understand why I hadn't been charged before in the other banks.

Does anyone have a similiar experience with transfering money to UK with other banks?:rolleyes:

As mentioned the Step A/c with a Visa Debit is a good account. UB are aware that the online banking does not allow for paperless F/X transfers and it is something that will be address in the coming months. When done the charge should be less.

The charge is standard but the price can vary massively depending on the time frame picked for the transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Afaik bank of ireland to not charge for euro transfer to the Uk, I know it costs 12.50 for an urgent transfer.

gogo wrote: »
    Afaik bank of ireland to not charge for euro transfer to the Uk, I know it costs 12.50 for an urgent transfer.

Yes, odd than none of them charge except Ulster bank. Will have to look more closely into banks in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yes, odd than none of them charge except Ulster bank. Will have to look more closely into banks in Ireland.

That is odd. Considering that most other banks charges are far higher than UB.
    I know BOI have it on there online banking which is great. So maybe that's how its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Will have to look more closely into banks in Ireland.

lol,:rolleyes: get in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm NIB aswell but I'm happy enough to stay with them. Never had any problems over the 8 years I'm with them.

I was disappointed my local branch stopped taking cash but I got around it. I give a relative the cash and they write me a cheque. Another option is a postal draft, if you can afford it (€3 I think) until you can lodge directly at the post office later this year.

Another benefit is the lack of queues in my local branch plus there is always parking in their tiny customer car park! I used to have to queue just to get a spot at that sometimes. Plus I know and am friendly with all the staff. It has actually made a positive difference to my banking experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement