Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading-in a car with scratched bumpers

Options
  • 04-06-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of trading-in my current car to get a larger one (family getting a bit bigger). My current car, a 2006 Volvo s40, is in fairly good nick but has scratches on the front and rear bumper. I'm getting a quote today to see how much it would cost to repair but I'd like an opinion whether I'm better off getting the scratches repaired myself or bring it as is to trade-in and let the garage knock some of the value off in lieu of repairing??

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

No point in repairing them. It wil always cost you more to fix than what the gargae will take off. They will be able to repair it for a lot less than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't bother to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id probably just get some t-cut and some polish, clean it up as best you can without actually repairing it , you might save yourself some loss that way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

From my experience, it doesn't matter how well a car looks with regard to how much you'll get for it. They usually only give open market selling price no matter how much money is put into it. On the other hand, they will deduct money if certain things have to be done to it.

As someone said already, just get some rubbing compound and polish/wax and do a good job on it. No point paying money when you won't get it back.

Advertisement