Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell has launched its 5-inch Android-based Tablet

• 04-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

Dell-Streak-price-and-specifications.png

Out now, only in the UK and on O2 only. future releases to be confirmed.

http://www.o2.co.uk/dellstreak

Interactive Demo -
    http://www.selflearning.co.uk/o2/o2shop/dell/streak/

Full Specs -

Size and Weight.
    Height - 152.9 mm.
    Width - 79.1 mm.
    Depth - 9.98 mm.
    Weight - 220 g.

Display.
    5 inches 800 x 480 WVGA.
    In-cell TFT LCD supporting multi-touch.

Camera.
    5.0 Megapixel colour rear-facing camera with video capture.
    Auto-focus and dual LED flash.
    Secondary VGA front-facing camera.

Video supported formats
    H.263/H.264, 3GP, MPEG4, WMV

Audio supported formats
    MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, Midi, WAV

Messaging
    SMS
    MMS & Email.
    Instant messaging.

Platform.
    Android v1.6 (multi-touch UI).

CPU.
    1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250.

Storage.
    ROM - 512 MB.
    RAM - 512 MB.
    Expansion slot - 1 user accessible MicroSD™ cardslot expandable to 32GB.
    Internal memory - 2GB (for system & applications files only - not user accessible).

Network bands.
    UMTS 900/2100 MHz.
    GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.

Internet.
    3G/HSDPA
    HSDPA 7.2Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
    Wi-Fi
    WLAN 802.11b/g

Browser.
    WebKit (Android)

Bluetooth.
    Bluetooth® 2.0 EDR

Power and battery.
    1530 mAh

Connectors.
    3.5mm stereo audio jack
    USB 2.0

Sensor.
    Ambient light sensor
    Proximity Sensor
    Accelerometer
    Capacitive sensor keys

Location.
    e-compass
    GPS
    Google Maps

Accessories.
    Data cable
    Stereo headset
    Home dock with HDMI out
    Travel, car and wall chargers

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It's just a big awkward phone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Too big for a phone for most people, too small for a workable tablet.

People question if the tablet market that the ipad is aimed at exists, let alone the in between phone and tablet market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Inquitus wrote: »
    Too big for a phone for most people, too small for a workable tablet.

People question if the tablet market that the ipad is aimed at exists, let alone the in between phone and tablet market.

The tablet market most definitly exists and it has the potential to be absolutely huge.

Tablets have been out for a good while now with touchscreen technology, the Ipad wasnt the first...

Us Military engineers use tablet pcs
    Weapons manafacturers and their employees are big into tablets.
    Its msotly been used by alot of military and government agencies , mostly in america, for the last number of years.

But the market outside of that is still huge... Doctors replacing their clipboards, teachers replacing their massive folders, students replacing their books...the possabilities are endless.

But the ipad isnt the anwser, and truth be told it wont be apple that win this market over as far as im concerned. The people that went and bought ipads, probably did so because it was the new apple product, it would be big news and its the hottest trend.

But I'm pretty sure when tablets become mainstream in the workplace, it wont be an apple product, on a large scale anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TheDoc wrote: »
    The tablet market most definitly exists and it has the potential to be absolutely huge.

Tablets have been out for a good while now with touchscreen technology, the Ipad wasnt the first...

Its msotly been used by alot of military and government agencies , mostly in america, for the last number of years.

But the market outside of that is still huge... Doctors replacing their clipboards, teachers replacing their massive folders, students replacing their books...the possabilities are endless.

But the ipad isnt the anwser, and truth be told it wont be apple that win this market over as far as im concerned. The people that went and bought ipads, probably did so because it was the new apple product, it would be big news and its the hottest trend.

But I'm pretty sure when tablets become mainstream in the workplace, it wont be an apple product, on a large scale anyway :)

Its not an area Microsoft do very well for now. Android has potential, but at the moment its probably worse than iPhone OS for a tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I really want one, Dell seem to have done a great job on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would have to agree that the potential market for tablets is huge and chances are that in around 5 years time they will probably outstrip laptops as the general device your average consumer will buy. I'm sure there will be laptopesque docking stations available that you will be able to insert them into so you have the "old" laptop experience etc.

I think the problem so far is that there hasn't been a user friendly OS for the market up untill now. I don't think any windows or linux distro really sits well on a tablet and this has been their Achilles heel, coupled with their price up till now which always put them at the high end of the laptop market

Now with iphone OS and android we are getting to the point where these OS are nearly complete enough OS's for a tablet I think the market will soon take off.

However back on topic I still don't see the point in the dell streak and the problem is either do dell. They have said they don't see it as a smartphone however you can only buy it in o2 on a mobile price plan?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

TheDoc wrote: »

Apple products are to costly and to restrictive for mainstream business use not to mention most consumers are just not prepared to buy it either when other more popular and cheaper options are available.

With Microsoft looking so lost in the tablet market I can see an Android based tablet really doing well. This Dell product in its current form is just pointless as its too big to be used as a phone and way to small to replace netbooks and laptops which it where the tablet form factor fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Take a look at the Notion Adam Ink.
    Not on the market yet, but looks a superb piece of kit. Android based too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

johnp wrote: »
    Take a look at the Notion Adam Ink.
    Not on the market yet, but looks a superb piece of kit. Android based too.

I have a funny feeling that this has turned into vapourware:(

This hopefullt may come out and looks to be a lot cheaper if the Qi screen is included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rukkus

I see that the dell streak is now available in the CPW in the UK. Does anyone know when it'll be available in the CPW in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

rukkus wrote: »
    I see that the dell streak is now available in the CPW in the UK. Does anyone know when it'll be available in the CPW in Ireland?

aint heard anything yet about ireland. as far as i know, its exclusive to O2 uk customers at the moment and dell will start to sell direct towards the end of the current quarter, according to one review that i read linked off another forum here last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

there is definetely a market for these - but personally think the dell is too large for a phone and too small for a tablet.

7" is the smallest screen size I'd go for a tablet and it would be this since it can be read outdoors!
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/samsungs-7-inch-tab-to-run-android-2-2-on-1-2ghz-a8-processor/

the Notion Adam looks wicked tho - especially the eReader part of the screen cool tech having both screens on one device :)

I have an eReader and a tablet wouldn't replace it due to battery life and readability of the screen but if the Adam isn't vapourware I know what im getting next year!

the iPad will be like a fisherprice tablet compared to whats coming out soon :D

The iPad felt too big for me, when I tried it. I think 7 or 8 inches would be the ideal size in terms of screen area and portability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I use a tablet for college work. It is brilliant. Unlike most students I actually have a reason to take a laptop into college other than facebook and weight training :D

Windows 7 is a good operating system for tablets (I had to upgrade it a good bit though).

This android tablet is a bit too inbetweeny for my tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Well been using the streak for a few days and I haven't turned the laptop on since I got it, yes its big for a phone and small for a tablet but it works great as both. Got it on ebay for a lot less than o2 or CPWH are charging and it works perfectly with my Irish o2 simply. Had been using a HTC desire for a week before this and I won't be going back, all I'm waiting for now is froyo.

gbob wrote: »
    Well been using the streak for a few days and I haven't turned the laptop on since I got it, yes its big for a phone and small for a tablet but it works great as both. Got it on ebay for a lot less than o2 or CPWH are charging and it works perfectly with my Irish o2 simply. Had been using a HTC desire for a week before this and I won't be going back, all I'm waiting for now is froyo.

It's a terrible shame they are not available in Ireland yet. Did the seller have any more listed by any chance?

How much did it cost you, gbob? I was thinking of recommending one to my dad instead of an iPhone.

Paid 330 sterling plus 10 p&p from a private seller who probably got it as an upgrade and decided to sell for a profit, i've since seen them cheaper though. Seriously the only down side to them is the size, but the size is also the reason i wanted it. my previous phone the htc desire is almost identical to the iphone in terms of overall size and screen, but after comparing them i really prefered the desire to the iphone, and the dell is just like a larger desire. I was in an o2 shop yesterday showing the dell off and they were amazed at it, and they've no idea wether o2.ie will be getting it. Froyo (aka android 2.2) is supposed to be being released for it within a couple of weeks and should make this thing even better than it is.

Cant recommend this highly enough.

I see these have just appeared sim free on dell.co.uk. Hopefully it wont be long until they appear on dell.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi all, I was reading the previous posts and see that gbob reports success using an Irish O2 sim card with the streak. However, I'm on a pay as you go card (with O2), anybody know if this is still likely to work? Thanks

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    Hi all, I was reading the previous posts and see that gbob reports success using an Irish O2 sim card with the streak. However, I'm on a pay as you go card (with O2), anybody know if this is still likely to work? Thanks

I'd guess that a payg sim should work just as well as any other o2 sim.

I've just upgraded to 2.1 and setting up the streak again, and still working perfectly with my o2.ie sim, my son's have payg o2 sims, i'll try one and get back to you.

Great! Thanks very much

Darwin wrote: »
    Great! Thanks very much

Just checked the son's payg sim and it works perfectly, so your's should too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Looks great etc etc but....

Am I the only one who is thinking ''but is made by Dell''?

Proprietary dock connector the ****? over the top branding even compared to Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Baza210 wrote: »
    How much did it cost you, gbob? I was thinking of recommending one to my dad instead of an iPhone.

Why?

Unless they know they want Android - chances are they should not be using Android.

Would you install a Linux Distro for him?

gbob wrote: »
    Just checked the son's payg sim and it works perfectly, so your's should too.

Great stuff, will definitely be picking one up soon. Thanks for checking :)

Advertisement