Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elderflower Champagne

• 04-06-2010 11:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I had a bash at making this last year with reasonable results.
    My main problem is whether or not you leave it to ferment out like a proper beer or just leave it a couple of days as per most of the recipies.
    I left it a week last year before bottlling into plastic bottles and they swelled up like balloons..also the stuff never seemed to clear properly.
    I'm gonna start a batch hopefully next week so would appreciate any feedback from more experienced brewers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've never made it before, how did you do it last year?

I take it that you use normal sugar as the food for the natural yeast present on the Elderflows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've never made it before, how did you do it last year?

I take it that you use normal sugar as the food for the natural yeast present on the Elderflows?

From what i remember i combined elderflower heads with sugar,lemon zest,lemon juice and white wine vinegar.
    The idea is that the natural yeasts in the flowers will start to ferment but in practise i found that this didnt happen.
    On the advice of a boardsie i added beer yeast and left it for 5 days wherupon it was fermenting like mad.
    The recipie calls for it to be bottled at this stage but i think i was premature as it hadnt finished fermenting and was still very cloudy.
    What i might do this year is add yeast and leave it to ferment out completely,this isnt part of the traditional recipie but i reckon it'll probably work better and should certainly be stronger alcohol-wise,i found the brew last year to be very sweet.

Degsy wrote: »
    From what i remember i combined elderflower heads with sugar,lemon zest,lemon juice and white wine vinegar.
    The idea is that the natural yeasts in the flowers will start to ferment but in practise i found that this didnt happen.
    On the advice of a boardsie i added beer yeast and left it for 5 days wherupon it was fermenting like mad.
    So you're essentially fermenting sugar and using the Elderflowers for flavouring then?

The recipie calls for it to be bottled at this stage but i think i was premature as it hadnt finished fermenting and was still very cloudy.
    What i might do this year is add yeast and leave it to ferment out completely,this isnt part of the traditional recipie but i reckon it'll probably work better and should certainly be stronger alcohol-wise,i found the brew last year to be very sweet.
    For some reason nearly all recipes for alcohol beverages call for the brew to be bottled too early. It's best to let things go the distance. The only way to know when it's fully done is to pick yourself up a Hydrometer.

i found the brew last year to be very sweet.
    Probably because it wasn't fully fermented. You could also try using honey instead of sugar.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So you're essentially fermenting sugar and using the Elderflowers for flavouring then?

I suppose so yes..what role do the lemons and white wine vinegar play though?

I think we should all try it this year,maybe using slightly different metods and see how it goes..after all its nearly free to make :)

I suppose so yes..what role do the lemons and white wine vinegar play though?
    I'm not sure, but at a guess I would assume they're there to balance the sweetness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Didnt HFW River Cottage make this a few years back? looked delish. His looked pretty clear because he ran it through muslin.....

yep, here is how he made it

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html

gaz wac wrote: »
    Didnt HFW River Cottage make this a few years back?
    Yes, yes he did. ;)

the traditional recipie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

:D ha sorry didnt click the link

gaz wac wrote: »
    Didnt HFW River Cottage make this a few years back? looked delish. His looked pretty clear because he ran it through muslin....

Oh yeah...i forgot to mention it needs to be strained to get rid of insects,flower fragments etc.
    It wasnt enough to clear it though when i tried it.

Storing it in the fridge (conditioning) for a few weeks will help it to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

My brother makes this, with mixed results! But one year he gave me a bottle and it exploded on the drive home! So just be careful with your bottles!

Sonovagun wrote: »
    My brother makes this, with mixed results! But one year he gave me a bottle and it exploded on the drive home! So just be careful with your bottles!

Actually i've been concerned about this..i was gonna use the swing top ikea bottles but if anybody has any other suggestions..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

The infamous HFW made Gorse wine too. Going to give that a lash as my first attempt at home brewing.

There seems to be some differing information around using sugar, cane sugar or honey. I know in theory all the sugar will turn to alcohol (to a greater or lesser extent depending on the fermentation process) but does anyone have any preferences on using one over another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Caribs wrote: »
    The infamous HFW made Gorse wine too. Going to give that a lash as my first attempt at home brewing.

It sounded lovely too, kind of coconutty they said, I wouldn't mind giving that a go either actually.

Right.Elderflowers are good to go at the moment,gathered several dozen heads earlier and the second attempt at this brew is underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Right.Elderflowers are good to go at the moment,gathered several dozen heads earlier and the second attempt at this brew is underway.

Going to make a new thread with the pics of the winning brew ;)

Des wrote: »
    Going to make a new thread with the pics of the winning brew ;)

Time will tell..my brew will naturally be superior to yours! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I have a brew on the go at the moment as well.
    I added a pack of champagne yeast along with the flowers. It's bubbling away quite calmly as we speak.

I have the afore-mentioned IKEA bottles at the ready.

The recipe I was using said to just leave the brew for 6 days and then bottle. Tomorrow will be 6 days since I started.

The initial reading on the hydrometer was 1028 and it's currently at 1020.

Should I still go ahead and bottle or wait until the hydrometer's happy?
    Also, it isn't very fizzy. Should I add some priming sugar to the bottles?

All advice mightily appreciated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

I would advise you to make sure that the brew has finished fermenting before bottling. You can tell it is finished when you have two identical hydrometer readings a few days apart.

If you bottle before it has finished, you end up with an unpredictable amount of fermentation in the bottle, which might result in gushers when you open them or even bottle bombs.

You will need to prime the bottles with sugar if you ferment out the brew before bottling, but this will give you a predictable level of carbonation. I usually add about 5g of sugar per litre of beer (in this case elderflower champagne) which is about a teaspoon per litre.

I would advise you to make sure that the brew has finished fermenting before bottling. You can tell it is finished when you have two identical hydrometer readings a few days apart.

If you bottle before it has finished, you end up with an unpredictable amount of fermentation in the bottle, which might result in gushers when you open them or even bottle bombs.

You will need to prime the bottles with sugar if you ferment out the brew before bottling, but this will give you a predictable level of carbonation. I usually add about 5g of sugar per litre of beer (in this case elderflower champagne) which is about a teaspoon per litre.

Are you gonna have a bash at it this year?I remember buying some yeast off you last time but i still bottled it too soon.
    What kind of abv strength can i expect from a 7-8 day ferment?

• Advertisement

Are you gonna have a bash at it this year?I remember buying some yeast off you last time but i still bottled it too soon.
    What kind of abv strength can i expect from a 7-8 day ferment?

My fermentor space is full of export strength stout and turbo cider. If I get a chance to bottle the cider I'll be replacing it with a golden ale. No room for Elderflower Champagne in my brew schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My fermentor space is full of export strength stout and turbo cider. If I get a chance to bottle the cider I'll be replacing it with a golden ale. No room for Elderflower Champagne in my brew schedule.

Does it really need a temp controlled fridge?

No, but it does need fermentor space. My house is very small and I am not the only one living there, which is why it is not completely full of fermenting beverages of various kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I've bottled the elderflower champagne, smells cracking (hopefully that isn't a portent that the bottles will crack).

I noticed a slightly yellowy scum on top of two fo the bottles.....am I looking at an infection do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Making elderflower champagne this year. Have 6 lites of the water, sugar, white wine vinegar and lemon juice on the go since yesterday. Hoping to get some sort of fermentation going without adding yeast. Will prob leave for six days although some recipes I've seen just say 1 day.
    I also have 8 bottles of dandelion wine corked and maturing. Should be ready by Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Just put mine on to ferment. Don't have a hydrometer, so I'll have to wing it a bit, but it sounds in this case that more time is better.

I read in a couple of places that venting/burping the bottles prevents the inevitable explosions; any thoughts on this?

Advertisement