Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackstairs 150 on Sunday

• 04-06-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Lads/ Ladies ,

Anybody on here from the Barrow wheelers ? I wanted to do this on Sunday but can't work out from the club site if this is a sportif or a club outing for experienced racers etc . Would be interested in doing it if it was a sportif but not interested if I have to hare around for 150K ....... anybody help ?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It's a sportif, open to all. I did it last year, great hospitality and great food stops, so well worth doing. There are a few long drags on it and of course Mt Leinster, so it's a bit of a challenge. There was mix of abilities last year including a few elite riders who went at a very fast pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

coastwatch wrote: »
    It's a sportif, open to all. I did it last year, great hospitality and great food stops, so well worth doing. There are a few long drags on it and of course Mt Leinster, so it's a bit of a challenge. There was mix of abilities last year including a few elite riders who went at a very fast pace.

Grand , thanks for the reply , no problem with Mt Leinster , did the Mt. Leinster challenge a few weeks ago . excellently run as well . Was just afraid it was for, as you put it " elite riders going at fast pace" ....... map reading skills not the best if I was to get end up on my own about 60 k out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I did this in 2007 and 2009. Good event, broke my fingers after 1km in 2007 (mental note do not adjust computer sensor whilst riding ever again). Pretty tough going up Mt Leinster with one hand I can tell you, almost as tough as coming back down. Longest day on a bike I ever had.

Last year it was on later in the season and I was an intruder in that group of "Elite Riders" who were tearing each other apart all day long (dropped by the front men on Corrabut but somehow recaptured the group one painful 10km TT later and held on thereafter).

There is a wide range of abilities present though, so just stick with a group whose pace you are comfortable with and enjoy a great day of rolling, sticky roads. I personally find it tougher and thus more fun than the Mt Leinster because of the roads particularly in the last 3rd of the ride. The route is pretty well marked also and you are handed a map at the start just in case.

There are also lots of cakes as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hope to do this sunday myself .its only over the road from me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Just back home after this . Excellent day out , loads of food and drinks , well marshalled and road markings top class . The latter was so important 'cause there was quite a small turnout and you could be left on your own for long spells . Congrats to the Barrow Wheeler lads/ ladies on an excellently run sportive , would definitely put that in my diary for next year . As for you wimps who had a look out the window and seeing the rain pouring down early in the morning , then decided to roll over in the feathers , you missed a great day out in blistering sunshine :D Well done to the Barrow Lads n' lassies again .....most enjoyable ..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Just back home after this . Excellent day out , loads of food and drinks , well marshalled and road markings top class . The latter was so important 'cause there was quite a small turnout and you could be left on your own for long spells . Congrats to the Barrow Wheeler lads/ ladies on an excellently run sportive , would definitely put that in my diary for next year . As for you wimps who had a look out the window and seeing the rain pouring down early in the morning , then decided to roll over in the feathers , you missed a great day out in blistering sunshine :D Well done to the Barrow Lads n' lassies again .....most enjoyable ..........

thats me looked out the window at 7 ,lashing so had a lie in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Deisetrek wrote: »
    As for you wimps who had a look out the window and seeing the rain pouring down early in the morning , then decided to roll over in the feathers , you missed a great day out in blistering sunshine :D Well done to the Barrow Lads n' lassies again .....most enjoyable ..........

Ok, so I was nearly one of those wimps, decision was made by the toss of a coin at the check-in - no joke, heads we go home, tails we cycle, we cycled and it turned out to be a good day.
    Rain stopped soon after the start and then, believe it or not , the sun came out.
    It was all very civilised until Bagenalstown and then all hell broke loose.
    I have to say it was a very enjoyable course with nice food stops. I'd certainly do next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Think i may have twisted your arm to do it but glad to see yea enjoyed your day. Unfortunately when you passed me on the descent of Mt. Leinster; i wasn`t just helping a guy to fix a puncture. I`d hit the deck at 44mph after hitting a stone. Pertty lucky to be in almost one piece. If you`re up there anytime soon have a look for lycra/ layers of skin/ some ground up aluminium mixed finally with horrendously rough tarmac. It`s all mine. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Think i may have twisted your arm to do it but glad to see yea enjoyed your day. Unfortunately when you passed me on the descent of Mt. Leinster; i wasn`t just helping a guy to fix a puncture. I`d hit the deck at 44mph after hitting a stone. Pertty lucky to be in almost one piece. If you`re up there anytime soon have a look for lycra/ layers of skin/ some ground up aluminium mixed finally with horrendously rough tarmac. It`s all mine. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Jaysus, sounds bad. Hope you recover soon.
    Just as well you weren't on the good bike.

When I passed you I saw 2 tubes on the ground and 1 bike up side down, so just thought that one of you had punctured, hence the shout "have you everything you need" I wouldn't have expected your shout back to include new clothing, some skin and various bike parts.

BTW those funny long things attached to your handlebars are brake levers, when you pull them back towards the bars you slow down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Cheers, not TOO bad 24hrs later. Loosing 6 inches of skin is pretty sore though. Those lever things never got a look in. It was- hit stone - hit the deck- Wham! Bam !Thank you & Good Luck with surviving!!!!!!! Be in touch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement