Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How daft is this? Irish Rail ticket prices

• 04-06-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

I can get a single Adult ticket from Galway to Dublin for €15 however it's quoting €21.50 for a student fare!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Irish Rail regularly put on promotions for Adult and Children's tickets. It does seem strange that the student fare is more but I guess they'd have to discount every ticket when putting on a promotion to make it fair across all ticket types. Just book the cheapest most appropriate ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

funnyname wrote: »
    I can get a single Adult ticket from Galway to Dublin for €15 however it's quoting €21.50 for a student fare!

What's daft about that? There are 2 different classes of fare; web/telesales only which are discounted and standard ticket office walk up fares. The cheaper pre-booked fares have no extra student discount.

It is explained on the website if you cared to look: http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp#webfares

I suppose it is equally daft that a passenger who turns up at DAP and pays €200 for a seat on a Ryanair flight can find themselves sat next to a person who paid €10 for an identical journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I found it daft because the student will buy the €15 ticket not the €21.50 one, so they should have a system in place whereby the student ticket price shown is also the same adult price until such time it is actually cheaper than the adult ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So every time they have a promotional fare they must also have a proportional discounted student promotion? Waste of time, just buy the promo one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's well documented that some of IE's regular fares are cheaper than the student fare on the same journey.

There are plenty of pricing anomalies going on at IE, as highlighted by other groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's well documented that some of IE's regular fares are cheaper than the student fare on the same journey.

There are plenty of pricing anomalies going on at IE, as highlighted by other groups.
    pesky students are never happy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

So every time they have a promotional fare they must also have a proportional discounted student promotion? Waste of time, just buy the promo one

He didn't say that - he said the student fare should be the same as the discounted adult fare. It's not unreasonable to except the system to offer you the lowest price available to you instead of expecting you to know which combinations to try until you find it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

funnyname wrote: »

€15 is a limited web only fare available only at certain off peak times and only valid for the train that you book it for.

€21.50 student fare is valid on any train between Galway and Dublin and can be purchased on the web or at a booking office.

Not really comparing like with like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

markpb wrote: »
    He didn't say that - he said the student fare should be the same as the discounted adult fare. It's not unreasonable to except the system to offer you the lowest price available to you instead of expecting you to know which combinations to try until you find it yourself.

The IR website defaults to showing you the cheapest adult single fare for each journey. Sometimes it will be cheaper than the student fare, sometimes not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fwiw, I bought a ticket from Gatwick to London Bridge a few weeks ago. I only wanted a single, which was £11, but I purchased a return for £9. (Or there abouts anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

penexpers wrote: »
    Not really comparing like with like there.
    They're both tickets for the same journey with the same company.

Advertisement