Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where exactly is the new primary school in Doughiska going?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Is it the front bit of the park between the Racing Lodge and the Centra between the park and the Doughiska road?

Or is it the area, that is "behind" Tur Uisce and Coill T and to the left off the park?

I assumed that it was the bit between Tur Uisce and Coill T but there was a flyer from Frank Fahy last night "announcing" the school and saying that access was from Fearnn Ri?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I believe the plan is to erect Portacabins on the land in between Centra & the Racing Lodge close to the road. You can see the site fenced off and a horse probably in it.
    The long term plan is to actaully build a proper school behind Tur Uisce. This site is also fenced off and is used to store some building materials belonging to a building contractor.
    In the last few weeks Galway City Council took over the responsibility of the roads, footpaths and lighting in Tur Uisce. This all relates to the proposed school that will be down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sgthighway wrote: »
    In the last few weeks Galway City Council took over the responsibility of the roads, footpaths and lighting in Tur Uisce. This all relates to the proposed school that will be down the back.

Really? First I heard of this, are the management company still looking after landscaping etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Zzippy wrote: »
    Really? First I heard of this, are the management company still looking after landscaping etc??

Yes, they are. And as far as I know, it doesn't include the pavements. Just the roads and the lighting.

I don't think it was taken over just because of the schools. The roads and lightening for An Fiodan were also taken over and possible Coille T.

Management company, and their fees, will still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe the plan is to erect Portacabins on the land in between Centra & the Racing Lodge close to the road. You can see the site fenced off and a horse probably in it.

Correct (though I don't know about the fence and horse!). There was a public meeting a month or two ago where the plans were outlined for a temporary school to go close to the Centra end of that area, with road access from the road into Fearrrin Ri (spelling!). I believe it's currently going through the planning process (details here), and has been designed to provide enough facilities for three years while the permanent national school is built.

The long term plan is to actaully build a proper school behind Tur Uisce.

The proposal is for two schools: one national school and one secondary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Sorry to be off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread for a quick query. Does anyone know if the teaching jobs were advertised when the announcement about the new school was made?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The school does not exist yet

The schools are in a ppp bundle , this bundle has not even gone to tender and it is unlikely that construction will start for one year afterwards and that any school will open for a further year after that again. The schools may exist sometime between mid 2012 and mid 2013 but not before mid 2012.

Considering that these schools were announced about 10 times by various ministers and TDs that is a disgrace. Announcements take priority over construction 100% of the time in FF and in the Greens .

http://www.ndfa.ie/TenderCompetitions/schools_ppp_programme3.htm
    On 16th December 2008, the Minister for Education & Science announced the third bundle of schools to be delivered by PPP. The third bundle consists of seven schools on six sites in Gorey, Co. Wexford, Tramore, Co. Waterford, Doughiska, Co. Galway (a primary and post primary school sharing a single campus), Athlone, Co. Westmeath, Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim and Letterkenny, Co. Donegal. In September 2009, the Minister for Education & Science approved the inclusion of an eighth school at Doon, Co. Limerick. The eight schools are to provide accommodation for approximately 5,560 students.
    Applications for Outline Planning Permission for the schools at Tramore, Doughiska, Athlone, Ballinamore and Letterkenny were submitted by the Department of Education and Science to the relevant Planning Authorities in the week commencing 10th August 2009. Application for Outline Planning Permission for the school at Doon was submitted by the Department of Education & Science to Limerick County Council on 25th September 2009. Application for Outline Planning Permission for the school at Gorey was submitted by the Department of Education & Science to Wexford County Council on 9th October 2009. Final grant of permission has been received with respect to the Ballinamore, Tramore, Letterkenny, Gorey, Doughiska and Athlone sites.
    The project is expected to be handed over to the NDFA for procurement in Q2 2010. The NDFA will be responsible for all aspects of the PPP procurement, including the construction period, up to the point of delivery of the new schools.

However the Dept of Finance tells us that the scheme is currently at a stage where they are "Drafting the Public Sector Benchmark" and you may ring the persons listed in there yourself and find out when they intend to get the finger out and tender and build the damn things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The school does not exist yet

The school building does not yet exist.

But very detailed architectural work on the temporary buildings does exist, as does a plan-B (at least, maybe C as well) in case they don't get planning.

And I'm pretty sure that the legal entity does exist, and that the process to recruit a principal is under-way. I'd expect (though this country may be different!) that teacher recruitment won't start until the principal is appointed. They're opening with two classes only, so won't need many teachers to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

One word-redeployment. CGVEC is well overquota and recent developments mean redeployment will be rife within it. As for Primary teachers...no idea...

Advertisement