Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle Recommendation

• 04-06-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

The saddle on my bike has been held on with masking tape for the past year or so. It fell off the other day so I figure it's finally time to actually get a new one!

The bike is a basic Raleigh mountain bike. I use it mostly for cycling to work, and within town. I sometimes go on big cycles looking for geocaches and such.

I really have no idea what to look for in a saddle, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I have a lovely Selle Italia gel saddle for sale. Very comfortable. Yours for 20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hard to recommend saddles really, very personal things. Some shops have "test" models, they are bright orange versions of retail saddles, awful looking things to stop you walking off with it. You can generally try one out for a few days before bringing it back and trying another.

I'm afraid that this is the only way really. You can recommend a saddle based on weight or looks, but not on feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Thanks for the offer ckeego, but I'd like to look at a few saddles before I buy any.

DirkVoodoo, that makes sense! I thought some saddles might be more appropriate for cycling on roads as opposed to rough terrain and such. Thanks for the advice, I'll see if the cycle shop near me has any to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Hey ckeego - which Selle Italia is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Sorry Limestone but just sold the Selle Italia one. I have ONE other gel saddle left, It is a Selle San Marco gel saddle...Yours for 15.

[IMG]file:///Users/ckeego/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]If you are not interested in that, I also have a Bontrager Race XXXLIte, somewhat more pricey at 60.

See link for Selle San Marco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I am testing a fizik Arione, at the moment.
    It's one of those bright orange ones, with test saddle written on it.
    I have to return it to Worldwide Cycles, in Clonmel, soon.:)

I didn't find it very comfortable, It's a little too narrow for me:( but saddles are a personal thing. What suits one person, might not be comfortable for another. :(

Perhaps I shall try the fizik Antares next:)
    I did buy an Fizik Aliante, with my own money:) Good saddle, very comfortable but a little squidgy. I also tried a Specalized Toupe, some swear by these. again I just found it incredibly uncomfortable.

As you can see, I have tried several of the current lightweight saddles, available. The San marco Rolls, is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden, but it looks out of place on a modern racing bike:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's one of those bright orange ones, with test saddle written on it.
    I have to return it to Worldwide Cycles, in Clonmel, soon.:)

I didn't find it very comfortable, It's a little too narrow for me:( but saddles are a personal thing. What suits one person, might not be comfortable for another. :(

I did buy an Fizik Aliante, with my own money:) Good saddle, very comfortable but a little squidgy. I also tried a Specalized Toupe, some swear by these. again I just found it incredibly uncomfortable.

As you can see, I have tried several of the current lightweight saddles, available. The San marco Rolls, is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden, but it looks out of place on a modern racing bike:rolleyes:

Can you touch your toes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can you touch your toes?

I can touch my toes easily, I can even touch the floor with the palms of my hands, so hamstring flexibillity is not an issue:D

I would also take the Fizik marketing Bull-S**t, with a grain of salt:p

All jokes aside, the fizik arione is a well designed piece of kit.
    It's 3cm longer than a conventional saddle, allowing the rider to slide back a little on the climbs, for more power/torque.
    And forward during accelerations:)

At the end of the day, any saddle has got to be comfortable.
    Otherwise cycling just becomes a painfull and horrible activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

I got the Antares with my new bike. First ride a 80km race thought I found heaven..then on a few training spins and races later I am in big pain.. no matter what position I move the saddle. Luckily I have a 4 week trade back for the saddle with any other type. The Antares is a flat and wide saddle with very little padding so comfort is low down on the list. Note the weight is only 170g. If comfort is an issue and it always should be then you are likely to be in the mid 230g- 280g for a saddle. Check out this article http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/fizik-antares-versus-road-saddle

Advertisement