Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave and privacy

Options
  • 04-06-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Where I work I am required to complete a form every time I'm off sick, even if it's for a single day. If I'm off for more than 2 days I need a medical cert. No problem with that.

The form asks for details on the nature of the illness. I know that they are trying to root out people who are ill just because of a hangover, but really do I need to tell them every time I need a day off for menstrual issues? (BTW I take on average 3-4 days a year when it's too bad for me to work for this so not like it's every 4 weeks, and even if it was, hardly something that's avoidable). If it were more than one day I could see the need - but that should be covered by medical certificate. They don't require the cert, so why do they require me to spell it out?

At what point is the reason none of their business and a breach of privacy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It depends on your type of work, if for example you work with food then even a slight gastric ailment would preclude you from working, if your illness was viral they may need you to get a cert to say that you are fit to return to work as well.

if they are paying you, they have a basic right to basic information, im sure your doctor will be able to dress it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

I just work in an office so food is not the problem, I also have no issue with needing something "dressed up" - I only take the time legitimately. I'm just wondering how it sits purely from a privacy perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Employer is perfectly entitled to request employees to complete the form to which you refer if it's stated in your contract of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

If a company asks what is your illness your obliged to explain to them. Just say I have womans problems do you want me to go in to detail? 99% of the time they'll say no they won't want you to be uncomfortable explaining the nature of the problem.I think once they know it's of that nature they won't pry into it any further.I had a male boss and like yourself have bad periods now and again and he asked why was i off and i told him "womans problems"and he was like right right i heard enough ok lol

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

if you dont supply a medical reason for your absence, how can they differentiate your day here and there from others who have hangover days here and there?

you cant just take a day here and there and not expect your employer to ask why you did this- maybe an order gets held up, or your colleagues get landed with your work as well as their own

just because you might not be paid for absence does not mean you dont owe them any explanation employers contract you to do a certain set of hours per annum, if you fail to do these - paid or unpaid - you do owe them an explanation of your absence.

being evasive about your reason absence will only arouse suspicion that you skived off as opposed to genuinely being ill.

there is also a health and safety aspect to consider for the employer - another poster mentioned gastric problems have to be cleared if you work with food etc.

having menstrual cramps, unless especially severe due to something like endrometriosis does not normally require sick days. so if you have some medical information to explain why yours are worse than the other women in the office, you should let them know this so they will be more understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sounds perfectly fine to me. In my job we can take up to 2 days off work without a doctors cert but we I still need to write a letter to HR telling them why I was off work even if it is just for one day.

Advertisement