Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscaping the housing estates and fees and participation

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Firstly I apologize for the typos in the poll-couldn't go back to correct them.
    Now, we are having problems in our residents association with collecting landscaping fees. Many not contributing are absentee landlords who get an income of these properties. Lack of maintenance of the estate grounds would surely affect the income returns from these properties as well as their capital value. We are looking at ways to increase participation and reduce costs. Any suggestions?

How should we go about landscaping our estate 1 vote

Hire a lawnmower and use resident volunteer to cut the grass
    0% 0 votes
    Get quotes from other landscaping providers and if cheaper ask current provider to match them
    100% 1 vote
    Keep current provider and avoid potential complications.
    0% 0 votes
    Leave the grounds in state of dereliction and care for your house only
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Where's the option to get the council to take over estate mgt? :D

EDIT: or option to change providers...

Personally I would ignore anything I get in the door from a residents association, as I did when lived at home, most likely this is what is also happening to you. Not much you can do really, there is no obligation on anybodies behalf to pay anything to a RA for anything.

Whatever the lowest cost to people is the most realistic option to go for as at least then you are more likely to get people to pay small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Rather than billing each household for 'their share' of the costs of making the area more presentable why don't you organise fundraisers to put money towards getting landscaping etc done? It can bring the community of the estate together and can be a lot of fun, ask local shops and businesses for sponsership, ask residents to donate items for raffles, make cakes, etc. It would be a better way of getting money together than sending people an extra bill.

Edit: Does your local council not maintain public grass areas? I'm pretty sure a large tractor lawnmower goes around all the estates in our area cutting the grass, I always assumed that Council provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

Thank you all for your suggestions...keep them coming. In times like this thinking out of the box is the best way around this- good ideas Cathooo, worth trying.The council takes an awful long time to take over around here in Meath. The estate next door is about 7 years older and they are still not taken over yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you or your contractor have insurance to do this work?

Can you ask the council for a contribution?

If you are looking for the best price, draw up a concise document and put it out to tender to the current and prospective contractors.

Advertisement