Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of bike?

• 04-06-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, this may be done to death and if so I apologise! Had a quick look around but didn't see anything that fitted my questions exactly.

Just bought a house, moving in a couple weeks all going to plan and it now gives me to opportunity to cycle to work. Roughly 7 miles each way, mostly good roads I think - not sure if they are from a cyclists opinion though!

Here is roughly the route I would be taking: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/lucan/698127565324385615

I went to cycle superstore yesterday and the young lad working there really knew his stuff and gave me some good advice, I would be buying through the cycle to work scheme and in my mind feel the best value is going for the full €1000 limit however the more I look into different bikes the more lost and confused I get. I don't think I would notice the difference between a €700 and a €300 bike with regards all the different quality of different parts. (bearing in mind I havn't cycled a bike in years) I took a Giant Rapid 3 out into the car park to get a feel for it and like it.

I was looking at hybrid bikes online and in the shop yesterday, would this be the best type of bike for the above commute? I would be using the bike hopefully 3-5 times a week for the commute all going to plan, anyone got any advice or suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

If you're only going to use the bike for a reasonably short commute then a hybrid probably makes most sense as it'll have a more upright position and probably wider tyres than a regular road bike. It'll also have good brakes and plenty of gears so there'll be nothing stopping you venturing further at the weekend if you have the urge. Generally the more you pay, the bike will have better quality components and be lighter.
    Many bikes in a particular class, such as hybrids, will look very similar and in a very large shop like the Cycle Superstore, the choice can be overwhelming. I guess the best thing to do is decide on your maximum budget (allowing for helmet, lock etc) and do as you did - try a few different bikes around the carpark. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I got a Boardman from halfords the comp version and find it great would be one to have a look at.
    Mike

Advertisement