Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bar - Thomond?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to that new bar where Waxy's used to be? It's called Thomond, passed it yesterday, it looks like they're trying to make it a big rugby venue. It's draped in munster flags and stuff. Guess they're trying to change the clientelle, would be fair to say the place was a wee bit rough before. So has anyone been in there? Was thinkin of checking it out for the Barbarians match later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

not ANOTHER rugby bar.

Jesus, i'm sick to death of seeing munster flags outside every pub now.

Wasn't this called the Pitz recently too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

TBH, I felt sick when I walked past it.

I have a real dislike for rugby fans as it is, but a bar called Thomond in cork just begging to be a Rugby bar is plain old sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Well there's enough Soccer bars, bet ye wouldn't complain if there were pubs called Anfield or Old Trafford. Should there be flags of english teams that have nothing to do with Ireland outside every pub to keep all the scumbags happy? If a sport that Irish people are actually good at bothers you that much then go bitch about it elsewhere.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Well there's enough Soccer bars, bet ye wouldn't complain if there were pubs called Anfield or Old Trafford. Should there be flags of english teams that have nothing to do with Ireland outside every pub to keep all the scumbags happy? If a sport that Irish people are actually good at bothers you that much then go bitch about it elsewhere.

No, actually I'm not too big a fan of them either. Conversation is Dull as to me.

The reason I don't like rugby fans is becuase I worked in Thomond park and musgrave, in general they are alot more ignorant and bitchy than any other events punters. They complain about everything to the lowest staff, even if it has nothing to do with them.

I was working on tickets and had people complain to me about parking for gods sake, and they weren't just making banter, they thoguht I could do something about that.

In the course of a year, I had something in the line of 150 complainers, whereas I had feck all at soccer matches and only a handful at music gigs.

I reserve the right to dislike any group of people I wish, it doesn't mean I hate them all, just that I won't engage in any discussion remotely related to their chosen fandom.

As an aside, I also worked a couple of leinster rugby matches and found the fans to be nothing short of courteous and nice. So, maybe it's just munster fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

As an aside, I also worked a couple of leinster rugby matches and found the fans to be nothing short of courteous and nice. So, maybe it's just munster fans.

Ohhhhh man.......

(stands back and awaits the inevitable rabbling)

• Advertisement

TBH, I felt sick when I walked past it.

I have a real dislike for rugby fans as it is, but a bar called Thomond in cork just begging to be a Rugby bar is plain old sad.

+1, well said Mr Dazzler dude, knob ends for the most part are rugby fans, and most of the current crop of Munster fans are only fair weather fans who wouldn't know their local club from a lineout. Heino cup loike, also when they are chanting, it's Munster, not Monster, lose the marbles from the mouth folk :eek:

Back to the bar, the clientelle hasn't changed at all.

bothers you that much then go bitch about it elsewhere.

he's quite entitled to bitch about it here, if you don't like a post report it and the mods can decide is it ok or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

some_dose wrote: »
    Ohhhhh man.......

(stands back and awaits the inevitable rabbling)

i'll be honest,

i've only a passing interest in rugger,and i have to say every time munster plays i've seen leinster fans support them.

was on a stag last year in galway.....munster fans were a disgrace....not cheering on leinster @ all..

so much for supporting your own.:rolleyes:

stick to the gaa....YER ONLY MAN;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

thebullkf wrote: »
    i'll be honest,

i've only a passing interest in rugger,and i have to say every time munster plays i've seen leinster fans support them.

was on a stag last year in galway.....munster fans were a disgrace....not cheering on leinster @ all..

so much for supporting your own.:rolleyes:

stick to the gaa....YER ONLY MAN;)

Why should Munster fans cheer on Leinster when its not the team they support. FFS you wouldnt see a liverpool fan supporting Man Utd in the Champions league just because theyre English. I never get why people wear Leinster jerseys at Munster matches and vice versa. If its to show your Irish and a 'half supporter' then that is stupid IMO

EDIT: GAA supports are the worst :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why should Munster fans cheer on Leinster when its not the team they support.FFS you wouldnt see a liverpool fan supporting Man Utd in the Champions league just because theyre English. I never get why people wear Leinster jerseys at Munster matches and vice versa. If its to show your Irish and a 'half supporter' then that is stupid IMO

why not???

comparing' pool united' is stupid IMO

half supporter???? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why should Munster fans cheer on Leinster when its not the team they support. FFS you wouldnt see a liverpool fan supporting Man Utd in the Champions league just because theyre English. I never get why people wear Leinster jerseys at Munster matches and vice versa. If its to show your Irish and a 'half supporter' then that is stupid IMO

I was over at the Heineken cup final there to weeks ago and i must say it was great to see all the different jerseys of different clubs around the place even though it was two French teams that were playing. And yes i did wear my Munster Jersey going over to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

No harm having more rugby pubs (simply because the demand is there) but I agree that "Thomond" sounds ostentatious at the very least. Beside this, there is also point that Thomond is in Limerick - while it is undoubtedly the spiritual home of Rugby, we are in Corcaigh now. I hear there's another place open on the Tramore Rd. called "Musgrave", far more spacious than Thomond and it also sells food.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the name of the place, without ever having set foot inside, but the name of a pub is very important and it does make a statement. This one shouts too loudly "I am the rugby pub! I am the Munster pub!" without having done anything to earn that. The likes of Peter Clohessy and Trevor Brennan, despite having credentials to call their pub "Rugbyland" if they wanted to, see the benefit of a bit of subtlety or originality. Even the Gaelic footballers who lack the creative finesse of their more cultured counterparts would at least take an honest and traditional approach to naming their pub, see Larry Thomkins / Pat Spillane.

And so I can see "Thomond" filling up with American fans of Munster and people from Skibbereen who have never been to Limerick in their lives (except for that time when they had to pick up their uncle from Shannon).

Illkillya wrote: »

And so I can see "Thomond" filling up with American fans of Munster and people from Skibbereen who have never been to Limerick in their lives (except for that time when they had to pick up their uncle from Shannon).

It will fill up with the same clientelle it always had ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Illkillya wrote: »
    Even the Gaelic footballers who lack the creative finesse of their more cultured counterparts would at least take an honest and traditional approach to naming their pub..

meeoww!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Apart from the Evergreen, what bars are 'soccer bars'?

Also, anyone see that new pub 'The Grafton? There's a new one down on the street by Cork Art Supplies too. Popping up everywhere.

Kold wrote: »
    Also, anyone see that new pub 'The Grafton? There's a new one down on the street by Cork Art Supplies too. Popping up everywhere.

Had a look inside, looks nice enough, catering for the yuppie crowd as far as I can tell. Haven't had a drink there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DoubleR

Was in it recently. Food and drink of the highest quality. Seems to be more than just a rugby bar. Lots of sports memoribilia all over the place and big screens for the GAA matches!

Because you clearly have no affiliation with the place whatsoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd rather a bar be a bar. Not a rugby one, a football one, a GAA one...just a bar.

And if I saw a pub here called Old Trafford or Anfield etc I would be liable to burn it down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Had a look inside, looks nice enough, catering for the yuppie crowd as far as I can tell. Haven't had a drink there yet.

Yuppy my ass. My sisters friend got punch by another girl for bumping into her there recently. They reckon the crowd in there is worse than Mangans and the catwalk put together. It also gets the "classssy" working class estate single mother types.

Because you clearly have no affiliation with the place whatsoever...

I actually dont. I was on a weekend in Cork with the girlfriend about 2 weeks ago and we both thought it was brilliant!

Thomand has the same crowd as when it was The Pitz. The Grafton is owned by the guy who owned SideTrax, certainly not a yuppie crown in there from my experience.

DoubleR wrote: »
    I actually dont. I was on a weekend in Cork with the girlfriend about 2 weeks ago and we both thought it was brilliant!

Sure as your post count increases over the coming weeks it will be obvious to all you're not affiliated ;)

sure as your post count increases over the coming weeks it will be obvious to all you're not affiliated wink.gif

To be honest, I have very little interest in this. A workmate is going to Cork in 2 weeks. I googled the Thomond for an address as I was reccomending it to him and thought I would give it a review. I have this account a number of weeks and posted 2 items but whatever happened they were not accepted. I am in no way affiliated with the place. I went to Soho after Thomond and into a night club I think called Social. The Social place was a bit weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

gimmick wrote: »
    Yuppy my ass. My sisters friend got punch by another girl for bumping into her there recently. They reckon the crowd in there is worse than Mangans and the catwalk put together. It also gets the "classssy" working class estate single mother types.

well it is located on the old sidetrax premises :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was walking past today or yesterday and one of the guys setting up the outside area was throwing a massive tantrum because he was having trouble dragging the barriers that line the outside area into the right place. It was hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

Alot of armchair pessimism here , in these times we should be supporting any business thats willing to take a shot in the dark , yes a rugby pub it is but its a good way of covering up the image Waxys had , it takes time to change clientele not gonna happen overnight , I was affiliated with the Waxys/ Pitz conversion at the start , cleared out all the 'scum' as such raised the age to 23's , to much of the older clienteles delight , although the 18-22 range werent one bit happy a dress code was in place after 6 also , infairness it worked for a while until the guards were basically saying that these people have nowhere to go etc , about a month into it we left it to the hands of the guy doing the door it went downhill from there really IMO.

Changed hands then to two pretty determined lads and like anything theyre taking the good with the bad riding the wave and earning a living to put food on the table.

Support them at least!

Faith wrote: »
    I was walking past today or yesterday and one of the guys setting up the outside area was throwing a massive tantrum because he was having trouble dragging the barriers that line the outside area into the right place. It was hilarious!

Mr. Perfect is his name :p

Heavy ol things to be fair!

• Advertisement

Fantastic setup in there , got a bit cheap on the toilets though , same clientele I agree on that , simple really nobody is forcing anyone to go :p

Advertisement