Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bar - Thomond?

Options
2»

Comments

The clientele that used go to SideTrax were generally a very friendly crowd, of all the niteclubs in Cork it was one of the few where the majority of the security was on the door, they'd have the odd stroll around inside but there was rarely trouble in there. They had a good system of who they allowed in. Btw I'm referring to the few years prior to it closing, not 10 years ago ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

The old "regulars only" line :)

Used to go in the odd Sunday after work with a friend of mine many people in their late 30's to mid 40's just looking to hold onto that bit ofyouth , a dark shadow was cast over the place though since 'the incident' , sad really.

Ian Mac wrote: »
    The old "regulars only" line :)

Used to go in the odd Sunday after work with a friend of mine many people in their late 30's to mid 40's just looking to hold onto that bit ofyouth , a dark shadow was cast over the place though since 'the incident' , sad really.

Yep, chap on the door used to say when questionned that he didn't know you, so you weren't getting in, 'twas almost sort of an exclusive members club. I notice on of the barmen from Sidetrax is in the Grafton doing interior security.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep, chap on the door used to say when questionned that he didn't know you, so you weren't getting in, 'twas almost sort of an exclusive members club. I notice on of the barmen from Sidetrax is in the Grafton doing interior security.

Heavy fella , glasses?

He's the manager.

Heavy fella , glasses?

He's the manager.

Ah no, I mean the SideTrax bouncers, 'twas the ole grey haired lad that looked like someones grandad.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the ''interior security'' bit.

I was referring to the ''interior security'' bit.

No, young fair haired lad that looks like he couldn't drop a hard sh1t, doesn't look the part at all, more the talker sort bouncer HBs and Reardans have on the door backed up by two traditional looking bouncers :)

No, young fair haired lad that looks like he couldn't drop a hard sh1t, doesn't look the part at all, more the talker sort bouncer HBs and Reardans have on the door backed up by two traditional looking bouncers :)

No idea to be honest *scratches head* , the days of the traditional bouncer are long gone , mind over matter really , no need for juiced up lads on any door , alot of these average lads have good training in an array of self defence. The bouncer is your best friend on letting you in and your worst enemy on getting you out , tough job that doesnt pay well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tong po

some of the posts on this thread realy make me laugh. rugby rocks end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

tong po wrote: »
    some of the posts on this thread realy make me laugh. rugby rocks end of.

Take a bow kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Fabio wrote: »
    Take a bow kid.

Tommy Bowe.? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Thomand has the same crowd as when it was The Pitz.

Which was the most incredibly ironic name it had - shamelessly honest at least! Aside from Instinct, never seen a bar with so many screaming wans.

shoegirl wrote: »
    Which was the most incredibly ironic name it had - shamelessly honest at least! Aside from Instinct, never seen a bar with so many screaming wans.

The Pitz of the mid 80's was the place to be , possible replenishment was hoped at the time of the rebranding , alas all but a dream :p

shoegirl wrote: »
    Aside from Instinct, never seen a bar with so many screaming wans.

Do lots of screaming wans go to Instinct ? Are they lesbian screaming wans ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Walshy1981

If people stopped having preconceptions and actually came and a look you might be surprised !

Yes, it was Waxys and the Pitz ! But it's been Thomond since before the summer and it's a he'll of a lot different !

And for anyone semi interested or for a die hard rugby fan, it's the place to be ! Or any sport for that matter !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Walshy1981

Thomand has the same crowd as when it was The Pitz. The Grafton is owned by the guy who owned SideTrax, certainly not a yuppie crown in there from my experience.

Clearly you don't drink their ! Very different crowd !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Walshy1981 wrote: »

Enjoy working there, do you?

Don't post on this thread again or I will go with my strong assumption that you are a shill and you'll be banned.

Or any sport for that matter !

Went in there on Sunday night to watch the 2nd half of Spanish football, Rela Madrid were playing Villa Real, TVs everywhere and the big screen on. Showing a repeat of an earlier Italian football game :rolleyes:

I go in there every so often to watch some football and it is a nice bar, I used to go in when it was the Pitz too, also to watch the football.

You are quoting a comment I made 6 months ago, if you reckon the crowd in Thomand on a Friday, Saturday night was much different to the crowd who went to the Pitz back in August you must be joking. Can't really comment on Waxies as it's year and years since then.

Sure if ye wanted the crowd out I would think the Karaoke lady would have been ditched.

As you say though, I would reckon folks should go in and have a drink and a looksee, it's quite a cosy bar now, nice lighting etc and very friendly and pleasant staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Faith wrote: »
    Enjoy working there, do you?

Don't post on this thread again or I will go with my strong assumption that you are a shill and you'll be banned.
    Surely if Thomond is Walshy1981's place of work and it is being painted in a poor light here then he/she has a right to respond. Boardsies can see that the account was probably set up for this sole purpose and should know to take what is said with a pinch of salt.

@ Walshy1981 If Thomond start showing all of the Spurs CL games I'll certainly be willing to check it out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Used be a regular when it was waxy's but stopped when it changed back to the pitz. As far as i was concerned it really did go to the pits:D
    But now the bar is far better, A nicer crowd and a lot more laidback inside,
    Staff seem good aswell.

Thumbs up from me anyway.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Surely if Thomond is Walshy1981's place of work and it is being painted in a poor light here then he/she has a right to respond. Boardsies can see that the account was probably set up for this sole purpose and should know to take what is said with a pinch of salt.

@ Walshy1981 If Thomond start showing all of the Spurs CL games I'll certainly be willing to check it out ;)

If s/he identifies him/herself as the owner or an employee, then grand. But just pretending to be a satisfied customer and not admitting an association is called shilling, and is the biggest no-no in the boards.ie world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If s/he identifies him/herself as the owner or an employee, then grand. But just pretending to be a satisfied customer and not admitting an association is called shilling, and is the biggest no-no in the boards.ie world.
    Fair enough
    I presume so that if he/she identifies themselves as such they will then be allowed to post on this thread?

Fair enoughI presume so that if he/she identifies themselves as such they will then be allowed to post on this thread?

I would allow a post or two to defend themselves against posts they feel were unfair on the thread. However, they may not continue to post about how great the place is. If they want to attract customers, they can pay for ad space like everyone else has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Fair enoughI presume so that if he/she identifies themselves as such they will then be allowed to post on this thread?

I would allow a post or two to defend themselves against posts they feel were unfair on the thread. However, they may not continue to post about how great the place is. If they want to attract customers, they can pay for ad space like everyone else has to.

Anyone know what happening to this place? Closed for last couple of weeks. The sign on window says something about issues to do with the licence. Wonder if it's gone for good - it seemed to be doing quite well of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

evilivor wrote: »
    Anyone know what happening to this place? Closed for last couple of weeks. The sign on window says something about issues to do with the licence. Wonder if it's gone for good - it seemed to be doing quite well of late.
    Was talking to a manager in there last year. He was saying that the goal they had was to make the place a kind of Hub for Munster Rugby in cork but they seem to have failed pretty miserably. I think the main reason was for as long as i remember that place was regarded as a rough spot when it was waxys or the Pitz and I don't think they were ever able to shake that reputation. The few times i went in there, as far as i could see the crowd were pretty much the same as the Waxy's days. Because of that, the crowds going out to watch Munster and Ireland games wouldn't have been attracted to the place and the old waxy's crowd weren't exactly turning out in droves to watch rugby so I think the place fell between two stools and ended up pleasing nobody. Shame it didn't work as it would be good to have an alternative to the Rob Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not gone for good, the sign in the window clearly says they're back open on December 2nd, and they've posters on the windows with a full week's worth of entertainment/events for the opening week too.

I'm no rugby head, but it's a grand spot for a few before you go to one of the normal watering holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It's always pretty packed for higher profile games but it just has a strange atmosphere then. Maybe it's the layout or something. Other times it's a grand pre-pub but empties out pretty quickly.

Advertisement