Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda to recruit over 100 trainees

• 04-06-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi All . I dont know if you are all interested in this but I seen it in the Irish times today
    More than 100 trainee gardaí could be taken on at the end of the year in the first wave of new recruits since the public sector jobs moratorium, it was revealed today.
    Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said an advertising campaign would run over the next few weeks to attract people to register interest in joining the force.
    It is hoped a new batch of trainees could start at the Garda College in Templemore towards the end of the year.
    “Maintaining Garda operational strength is my absolute priority, and I am very pleased that we are making the necessary preparations now so that this can be achieved,” Mr Ahern said.
    About 900 gardaí retired from the force last year, and this year retirements are running at about a quarter of that.
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan gave the approval for the new recruitment drive and Mr Ahern said it would ensure Garda numbers are kept at the optimum 14,500.
    “I indicated recently that a new Garda recruitment campaign would be needed this year,” Mr Ahern added.
    The Minister, who is in Luxembourg at a meeting of the EU’s Justice and Home Affairs Council, said the Public Appointments Service would run the campaign on the publicjobs.ie website.
    “This campaign will establish a panel of approved candidates who will be available for ongoing recruitment into the Garda College as trainees,” Mr Ahern said.
    “Trainees will subsequently be taken into the college as needed so that Garda strength is maintained at the approved level.”
    The final class of recruits, 267 gardaí, left Templemore at the end of April.
    The public sector jobs moratorium was introduced in March last year but senior Garda positions have been filled over the last year as retirements hit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking33.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

great news, presume this will be done through the publicjobs.ie website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

bryanjf wrote: »
    great news, presume this will be done through the publicjobs.ie website

Its on Public Jobs since last week for a register of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Its on Public Jobs since last week for a register of interest.

when you go on to publicjobs, its just on latest news so the only thing you can do is set a job alert for it so seat tight and wait for more news :D dont think to many will be interested;):pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

does it not seem crazy to be commencing another campaign when very few if anybody has been recruited from the last campaign two years ago!? They should at least recruit people waiting since May 08 before beginning another campaign. if its true that they are only taking 100 down at a time then it will take 3 or 4 intakes to recruit all of the May 08 candidates!! Aherne seems to be in cuckoo land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Devil08 wrote: »
    does it not seem crazy to be commencing another campaign when very few if anybody has been recruited from the last campaign two years ago!? They should at least recruit people waiting since May 08 before beginning another campaign. if its true that they are only taking 100 down at a time then it will take 3 or 4 intakes to recruit all of the May 08 candidates!! Aherne seems to be in cuckoo land
    Nah, they will get a much better quality of candidate with a new competition.

• Advertisement

you gotta be takin the piss!?

the reason in my opinion they are startin a new campign is because the want to have a reserve of people waitin to be called to the college so they can keep the number up if you get me i m in no doubt the people woth everything done will be soon callled and be in its just you cant have no one not waiting because that would be pointless this way they always have a class ready to go. so everyone just needs to relax a small bit about the whole thing :pac: :cool:

Hardly.

They will get far more quality candidates applying now for a small amount of places. Have you noticed the current economic depression?

Hardly.

They will get far more quality candidates applying now for a small amount of places. Have you noticed the current economic depression?

They will still need to go through the exact same criteria all previous candidates did! and candidates from the last campaign will still be recruited before canditates from the new campaign! Regardless of how 'quality' you think theyll be! I find it hard to believe that just because there is a recession that there is going to be thousands of brain surgeons applying for AGS!! In fact it will be the opposite! People sitting on the scratch for the last two years will not do too favourably at interview!!

Hardly.

I would rather people who applied the last time rather than people who have loads of qualifications that now find themselves out of the job and will apply for AGS.....the very job they would have snubbed their well educated, well paid noses at years ago in the celtic tiger era......I will have no time for people wwho only apply because they have nothing else to do!!:mad:

Far more academicly qualified does not make you right for AGS. Infact it can be seen that its the very opposite....common sence is needed......something that seems to be lacking from the celtic tiger big time employee who is "educated"

In fact if they have any brains they will only take people from the last few campaigns and the GR!!!

• Advertisement

I would rather people who applied the last time rather than people who have loads of qualifications that now find themselves out of the job and will apply for AGS.....the very job they would have snubbed their well educated, well paid noses at years ago in the celtic tiger era......I will have no time for people wwho only apply because they have nothing else to do!!:mad:

Far more academicly qualified does not make you right for AGS. Infact it can be seen that its the very opposite....common sence is needed......something that seems to be lacking from the celtic tiger big time employee who is "educated"

In fact if they have any brains they will only take people from the last few campaigns and the GR!!!
    It is a fair point but I think a lot of quality people would have never considered AGS in the good times but they would have great potential. TBH I would have been like that before and if I know what I do now I would have joined back in 2004. Publicjobs have an obligation to get the best possible candidates and that doesn't have to be somebody who has been dead set on joining since they were 10 years old.

Publicjobs have an obligation to get the best possible candidates and that doesn't have to be somebody who has been dead set on joining since they were 10 years old.

No.....but it does have an obligation to get candidates suited to the job that will stay with the job......not ones who will run off for greener pastures once the current resession finishes......:mad:

Remember being a Garda is for life....not just for Christmas....:pac:

No.....but it does have an obligation to get candidates suited to the job that will stay with the job......not ones who will run off for greener pastures once the current resession finishes......:mad:

Again a fair point, but these sorts can be quickly found out in interviews.

Again a fair point, but these sorts can be quickly found out in interviews.

I live in hope that they will......

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

It annoys me to think that people are going to apply cause they have nothing better to do when peolpe have wanted to join since they were 10!Dedication to join AGS will be questioned in your application and if someone says they are joining cause they got laid off won't stand a chance...its going to be a tough campaign but I'm sure the interview panel will pick the best of the best whether your an ex architect or not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nurseskeff

i hope you are right nice guy always.i hope they will go for people with some common sense and some life experience.well thats what im praying for.

you can be sure that there will be loads of people applying who have more qualifications to their name than hot dinners but may not be suited to the job.i just hope the selection process will be carried out fairly and sensibly.

good luck to everybody who intends applying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0605/1224271907227.html

according to this 300 on panel waiting to be called..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

nurseskeff wrote: »
    i hope you are right nice guy always.i hope they will go for people with some common sense and some life experience.well thats what im praying for.

you can be sure that there will be loads of people applying who have more qualifications to their name than hot dinners but may not be suited to the job.i just hope the selection process will be carried out fairly and sensibly.

good luck to everybody who intends applying

i don't understand this attitude that everyone with more than five d grades in the leaving cert is an unsuitable candidate. sounds like a way of consoling oneself to be honest. I personally "have as many letters after my name as i have in it", if you want to put it like that, but have always wanted to be a garda. I know I'll make a good one because I am a people-oriented person who wants to make a difference, and I know the fact that have worked in genetics research for the past couple of years will have no bearing on my ability to run down the road after a thief. But my work shows that I think logically and can solve problems with common sense very quickly.

But at the end of the day, all those people who got their leaving cert and sat on their holes when they could at least have developed their mind a little bit more can certainly expect to be cut from the list of hopefuls at the first hurdle.

And deservedly fcuking so.

genericguy wrote: »
    and I know the fact that have worked in genetics research for the past couple of years will have no bearing on my ability to run down the road after a thief.

You plan on doing that for 30+ years? I'd be dissapointed if I was 5 years there and still on patrols.

i don't understand this attitude that everyone with more than five d grades in the leaving cert is an unsuitable candidate. sounds like a way of consoling oneself to be honest. I personally "have as many letters after my name as i have in it", if you want to put it like that, but have always wanted to be a garda. I know I'll make a good one because I am a people-oriented person who wants to make a difference, and I know the fact that have worked in genetics research for the past couple of years will have no bearing on my ability to run down the road after a thief. But my work shows that I think logically and can solve problems with common sense very quickly.

But at the end of the day, all those people who got their leaving cert and sat on their holes when they could at least have developed their mind a little bit more can certainly expect to be cut from the list of hopefuls at the first hurdle.

haha great post, well said

• Advertisement

You plan on doing that for 30+ years? I'd be dissapointed if I was 5 years there and still on patrols.

1 - what do you expect to be doing???

2 - reality check....IF you join AGS you will be on the regular for 5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭rossi272

you may well be disappointed so...when you join you'll be the most junior there and will have to wait your turn unless of course you have someone pulling for you which may well be the case..Disappointed to be doing regular patrols after five years...this sounds to me like someone who either doesn't understand policing or someone who has no interest in policing but has more interest in climbing the ladder without gaining enough experience first... if you're lucky enough to become a garda enjoy it and learn each day. you'll find that those first five years have flown in and you're still on the regular enjoying the job of policing in whatever district you get stationed in. but then again some people aren't able for it and go searching for the handy number .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Excuse me but are you for real ???? I for one am waiting too be called for my medical , where abouts are you at this stage, waiting too apply is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

It is a fair point but I think a lot of quality people would have never considered AGS in the good times but they would have great potential. TBH I would have been like that before and if I know what I do now I would have joined back in 2004. Publicjobs have an obligation to get the best possible candidates and that doesn't have to be somebody who has been dead set on joining since they were 10 years old.

Does anyone know if there is a way to apply As a mature student ? The reason i ask is I'm missing a grade in one subject to qualify from my leaving cert. I'm just wondering if there is any other way in ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

lil_tuts wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to apply As a mature student ? The reason i ask is I'm missing a grade in one subject to qualify from my leaving cert. I'm just wondering if there is any other way in ?

Thanks

No, the only way to apply is through the normal way. There is no such thing as a mature student to join the guards. The age limit is 18-35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I am just back from being away for a month and absolutely ecstatic over this - my GR application is still in the waiting for medical stage.. I'm not gonna give up and will definitely be going through the full time process when it comes around..

It's gonna be the toughest competition ever and only the best candidates are gonna get through..can't wait!

edit: i've noticed a lot of interest in this in my area from people bored of current jobs/looking for work. I really hope they're not doing this for the wrong reasons because there are people out there that really really want this!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

This is not directed at anyone in particular but just a post about the hundreds of posts I've read on here.

An awful lot of posters seem to be overly concerned about others applying for AGS who have not shown previous interest, are bored of their current job or just decided recently that they want to do it.....

Personally I could'nt care less who or why anyone decides to go for it.

If someone else makes the top whatever it is and I don't, Its because I did'nt prepare enough for it. If someone else passes the interview and I don't it's because I did'nt show the right qualities to the panel or have enough relevant exp in my own life to be considered the "better" candidate.

In other words - It's nothing to do with anyone else and suggesting that it is sounds like excuses to me.

So for these people who apparently REALLY want it, people who see AGS as their dream - If there's the possibility of a huuuge bowl of disappointment to follow any failure to make the Grade for AGS...You'd be best to concentrate on what it is that makes or can make you the better candidate and not reasons that you may not get in.

Oh good luck everyone ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Cullen82 wrote: »
    This is not directed at anyone in particular but just a post about the hundreds of posts I've read on here.

An awful lot of posters seem to be overly concerned about others applying for AGS who have not shown previous interest, are bored of their current job or just decided recently that they want to do it.....

Personally I could'nt care less who or why anyone decides to go for it.

If someone else makes the top whatever it is and I don't, Its because I did'nt prepare enough for it. If someone else passes the interview and I don't it's because I did'nt show the right qualities to the panel or have enough relevant exp in my own life to be considered the "better" candidate.

In other words - It's nothing to do with anyone else and suggesting that it is sounds like excuses to me.

So for these people who apparently REALLY want it, people who see AGS as their dream - If there's the possibility of a huuuge bowl of disappointment to follow any failure to make the Grade for AGS...You'd be best to concentrate on what it is that makes or can make you the better candidate and not reasons that you may not get in.

Oh good luck everyone ;)

Well said Cullen. Concentrate on your own goals lads don't worry about what anyone else is doing. I'm going to echo one of the most common mottos around here 2 years ago around the time of the last competition. Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail.
    Good luck to everyone applying this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

I would'nt really agree with you on that. There are min. requirements. If someone reaches them they can apply. Even if they have just the very min. Somebody who has just the min. requirements could get a high score in the initial test. Could ace the interview etc etc. Could have just the type of people skills required to be a police officer. Just because someone has'nt got letters after their name dosent mean they 'sat on their holes' as you put it and had'nt 'developed their minds' as you put it. There could be numerous reasons why someone did'nt 'formally' continue further education. One does'nt have to have numerous letters after their name to be a top candidate. It's often the case that the guy or gal who thinks he'd be great for the job ususally is'nt.

• Advertisement

DustyMan wrote: »
    I would'nt really agree with you on that. There are min. requirements. If someone reaches them they can apply. Even if they have just the very min. Somebody who has just the min. requirements could get a high score in the initial test. Could ace the interview etc etc. Could have just the type of people skills required to be a police officer. Just because someone has'nt got letters after their name dosent mean they 'sat on their holes' as you put it and had'nt 'developed their minds' as you put it. There could be numerous reasons why someone did'nt 'formally' continue further education. One does'nt have to have numerous letters after their name to be a top candidate. It's often the case that the guy or gal who thinks he'd be great for the job ususally is'nt.

Here here, finally some one with the cop on too stand up too certain people on this trend , i couldnt agree with you more :D

you basically just made my point again for me - what i said in my post was that education doesn't make somebody a better garda, but that coupled with a bit of life experience and the enhancements in cop-on that come with a bit of education would certainly be of benefit. I am very aware that it is the person that makes a quality garda, not the paper.

i can't understand all the people in this forum who complain because others want to join and they feel it may hinder their chances of entry. I personally know I could murder the examination portion of recruitment, I'm highly intelligent and a formidable athlete, but at the end of the day I could attend the interview and the panel may think I'm a useless cunt. The recruitment process for the gardai is very fair and balanced, so all this self-defence shyte derogating qualified people in particular who wish to join is ludicrous.

BTW, I've been told by someone from HQ that degree-qualified over 21s are the preferred group for this drive.

That's what I thought. They can recruit honest slogs any other year, may as well get a few future ACs now.

you basically just made my point again for me - what i said in my post was that education doesn't make somebody a better garda, but that coupled with a bit of life experience and the enhancements in cop-on that come with a bit of education would certainly be of benefit. I am very aware that it is the person that makes a quality garda, not the paper.

i can't understand all the people in this forum who complain because others want to join and they feel it may hinder their chances of entry. I personally know I could murder the examination portion of recruitment, I'm highly intelligent and a formidable athlete, but at the end of the day I could attend the interview and the panel may think I'm a useless cunt. The recruitment process for the gardai is very fair and balanced, so all this self-defence shyte derogating qualified people in particular who wish to join is ludicrous.

BTW, I've been told by someone from HQ that degree-qualified over 21s are the preferred group for this drive.

Ok. But are you standing over your statements;

"But at the end of the day, all those people who got their leaving cert and sat on their holes when they could at least have developed their mind a little bit more can certainly expect to be cut from the list of hopefuls at the first hurdle" "And rightly f£$"^%* so".

I believe this to be grossy unfair to many candidates. There could be so so many reasons that somebody did'nt pursue a formal education after the leaving cert. It was'nt that they "sat on their holes" as you say. Perhaps some did. But probally not all. I have been to Uni and all that and have 7 letters after my name (I'm not bragging, just making a point, in fact it does not make me a better person believe me) and am a professional. Have worked for the Govt. (including the DOJ) and was quite an athlete myself. I'd like to think I'd be a good Garda as I've dealth with the public for the past 11 years now but I'm not going to make such an assumption that I WOULD be a good Garda. Of course it puts someone in better stead if the have qulaifications and life experience but they can't be the only factors.

On another matter not directly related to your point but I feel woth making is this impression that someone who 'deals with the public' in their current job (and therefore this would make them a good gaurd etc) is often banded about as a good 'quality'. Believe me some of the people I have come across who deal with the public on a daily basis I would NOT like to see some of them become Gaurds!!

Excuse spellings and grammer in my post. I cant' be bothered to correct them! :)

Excuse spellings and grammer in my post. I cant' be bothered to correct them! :)

i wouldn't be that pedantic buddy :)

man, we're making the same argument here. i'd agree that what i said was a little harsh perhaps, but realistically anyone who will say that that education is a waste of time is not worth the time of day in my book. that's ignorance of the highest order.

i'd have to point out that AGS pays more for people with degrees than those with five Ds in the leaving certificate - that in itself is an advertisement of the value they place on having a well educated force. having a degree, while certainly not the be all and end all, demonstrates a capacity to learn above and beyond basic reading and writing, which is all the leaving cert is.

but seriously, i'm not arguing with you at all - i agree entirely with your point.

• Advertisement

man, we're making the same argument here. i'd agree that what i said was a little harsh perhaps, but realistically anyone who will say that that education is a waste of time is not worth the time of day in my book. that's ignorance of the highest order.

i'd have to point out that AGS pays more for people with degrees than those with five Ds in the leaving certificate - that in itself is an advertisement of the value they place on having a well educated force. having a degree, while certainly not the be all and end all, demonstrates a capacity to learn above and beyond basic reading and writing, which is all the leaving cert is.

but seriously, i'm not arguing with you at all - i agree entirely with your point.

A whole lot harsh , but im not going too argue with you on this, cause its a complete waste of time.. best of luck applying for the guards , hope you have loads of patience , like the rest of us waiting the last year and a half here

It's good to talk. I hope you did'nt think that I think that education is a waste! But of course you know that it need not be a 'formal' one. I can tell you I know people without a Degree who can read and write better than I can!

You mentioned in your earlier post;

"I personally know I could murder the examination portion of recruitment".

I'd be carefull of that if I were you. I sat the PSNI IST and just passed it ) by a whisker (did'nt go any further with that application for personal reasons) and I've got the UNI exams and all that. Be carefull with the inital test. The questions examine how you think and your under pressure from the start. It wont be a walk in the park.

At the end of the day the best applicants will make it, some won't have the Uni Degree etc, some will have the 5 passes in the leaving etc but hopefully all will make fine police men and womem. Allthought a few, let me say, questionable applicants could slip through the cracks, hopefully not many.
    But I can't even apply!!!!!!!!!! I'm to old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 41 ;-(
    Maybe I should go back to the PSNI or go for the US Army (42 cut off)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

It is a fair point but I think a lot of quality people would have never considered AGS in the good times but they would have great potential.

In other words, people who didn't have enough interest in the job to go for it when times were good will now be desperate enough to apply this time around.

They're really the sort of people you want in the job.

cushtac wrote: »
    In other words, people who didn't have enough interest in the job to go for it when times were good will now be desperate enough to apply this time around.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

cushtac wrote: »

I'm guessing you were being sarcastic but it is actually true.

People who could add a lot to AGS were being drawn away by more lucrative jobs. AGS now has a chance to pick these people up.

I really don't see what's wrong with that and you are just being sentimental in wanting everyone who applies to AGS to think of it as a dream job.

• Advertisement

SugarHigh wrote: »
    People who could add a lot to AGS were being drawn away by more lucrative jobs. AGS now has a chance to pick these people up.

If they had really wanted to be a Garda they would have applied during the last period of recruiting. There are plenty of Gardaí out there, myself included, who gave up positions with better pay & conditions in order to do the job. If people are that committed to the job, why didn't they try for it before? This is something that could be asked of them.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I really don't see what's wrong with that and you are just being sentimental in wanting everyone who applies to AGS to think of it as a dream job.

There's nothing wrong with people going for the job because they're now unemployed, but the idea that somehow we're now going to get a better class of candidate is horse****.

I am far from sentimental about the job; it's demanding, stressful, quite often dangerous and people need to be fully aware of that before they go for it. I do not want to be out there with anyone who's not fully committed to it. I similarly don't want to see students getting out on Phase 2 & then chucking it because the job is harder than they imagined; they've just wasted a slot that could have been filled by someone else who's into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah, damn those "educated" people and their hard work in getting qualifications while there was a recruitment freeze in AGS. They're fooling no one with their hard-earned certs, diplomas and degrees. :rolleyes:

Also, having common sense and being educated are not mutually exclusive qualities.

Good to see that recruitment is open again though.

Yeah, damn those "educated" people and their hard work in getting qualifications while there was a recruitment freeze in AGS. They're fooling no one with their hard-earned certs, diplomas and degrees. :rolleyes:

There was about six years of constant recruitment and the recruitment freeze is a recent occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

For those who think a better class of candidate will be found now that the alternatives are limited they should think again. I know many well educated guys who applied in previous campaigns. AGS is one of the most sought after professions in the country.

I would take the view that there will be many less educated, not so qualified, "just giving it a shot cos there aint nothing else candidates" in this campaign.The real best and the brightest either still have their job or have left the country.The "possibly better candidates" that have been mentioned have always applied for AGS.

As has been said, concentrate on your own application. Best of luck to all who apply or waiting to be called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Why is everyone arguing over this crap and most of you are trying to make the same point but trying to sound better and more intellectual than others......
    At the end of the day it's just a ready made excuse in case you dont get through....
    Put the head down and starts preparing, if your good enough you'll make it.
    They will put everyone who is good enough on a panel but some will wait longer than others.
    Don't go in with a cocky attitude that your more intelligent than others cause you went to college etc..This will not stand to you in the aptitude test nor the interview, everyone has the same chance regardless of education and those with the wrong attitude will fail and then whats the excuse????
    Just get started in your preparation and stop fighting over this nonsense.

Best of luck everyone who is applying regardless of the reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Regarding my earlier comment about hoping that the applicants this time around really want this job - my reasoning for this:

From reading the comments in this thread, especially the last 10-15 posts, I don't think I'd blame any new candidate for feeling that the odds are somewhat stacked against them, "anyone without a college degree over 21 will be rejected"

I don't have a college degree and I'm 23, but I've progressed in my career very rapidly since leaving school - have been lucky to fill my CV with good work experience and other skills I've picked up on the way.

Those people referred to as "snubbing" the guards when times were good, sure they'll apply this time around and they'll probably do very well, they may even be over qualified - but who's to say they won't leave in the middle of training, or a year or two after graduating when (if) things pick up in the economy again and their original jobs return to the market.

I'm definitely not letting this stop me from applying, I'll do everything I can to be prepared for the recruitment - but I do believe there is some merit to people's concerns about the volume and quality of applicants for this particular drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

This time around the AGS will (should) have a much larger pool of people to choose from. Any Irish citizen or inhabitant of the country will see this as a good thing. The more people to choose from the higher number of better qualified/High quality (each of whom may not necessarily be highly educated) candidates.

Anyone, including current members of AGS who think that this is a bad thing is protectionist, sentimental and driven purely by their own ambitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

itsallgood wrote: »
    Why is everyone arguing over this crap and most of you are trying to make the same point but trying to sound better and more intellectual than others......
    At the end of the day it's just a ready made excuse in case you dont get through....
    Put the head down and starts preparing, if your good enough you'll make it.
    They will put everyone who is good enough on a panel but some will wait longer than others.
    Don't go in with a cocky attitude that your more intelligent than others cause you went to college etc..This will not stand to you in the aptitude test nor the interview, everyone has the same chance regardless of education and those with the wrong attitude will fail and then whats the excuse????
    Just get started in your preparation and stop fighting over this nonsense.

Best of luck everyone who is applying regardless of the reasons.

Agree 100%...it is entertaining but perhaps the thread needs to close!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

itsallgood wrote: »

Quite Ironic you may aswell have copied and pasted my previous post :D

Uriel. wrote: »
    This time around the AGS will (should) have a much larger pool of people to choose from. Any Irish citizen or inhabitant of the country will see this as a good thing. The more people to choose from the higher number of better qualified/High quality (each of whom may not necessarily be highly educated) candidates.

There's always been a large pool of candidates to choose from as the competition has always been massively oversubscribed. To say now that we're somehow going to get a better class of candidate in the current competition is very insulting to those who've successfully completed the competition and gone on to become Gardaí.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    Anyone, including current members of AGS who think that this is a bad thing is protectionist, sentimental and driven purely by their own ambitions.

Anyone who thinks that having a degree should over-qualify them for policing is arrogant, somewhat naive and obviously has no appreciation for what the job demands.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement