Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda to recruit over 100 trainees

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

cushtac wrote: »
    There's always been a large pool of candidates to choose from as the competition has always been massively oversubscribed. To say now that we're somehow going to get a better class of candidate in the current competition is very insulting to those who've successfully completed the competition and gone on to become Gardaí.

Yes, however, having an even bigger pool to choose from is better again. I didn't say we didn't get a good class of candidate in the past nor did I say serving members of AGS were better or worse candidates than future prospective candidates.

i.e. if up until now we were seeing a rate of 75% of successful candidates being supreme quality and perfect for the job and the remainder being good, bad or indifferent. With a larger pool of people to choose from we can (in theory) push the rate of supreme/high quality candidates higher than ever.

Overall having more people to choose from is a good thing. It is even better when the pool of people have a wide variety of educational, skills and/or life experiences.

It's very naive to think that the only "new" people you are going to get coming to the table are those that have lost their jobs and are desperately looking for employment. There is huge mix of people that will come to the table that may not have been available a few years ago. Those that were in full time education who wanted to receive a non-policing formal qualification before joining, or a police related qualification such as Law etc, those thay felt that at 19 or 20 two or three years ago was too young to join and wanted to get some life and/or work experience before committing to a 30+ year career.

Don't think that just because you have previously been through the competitions that you are somehow more entitled to the job or that you are more suited because you wanted this three years ago.

cushtac wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that having a degree should over-qualify them for policing is arrogant, somewhat naive and obviously has no appreciation for what the job demands.

I agree. Not sure why your telling me this. I specifically mentioned in my previous post that I wasn't just talking about educational qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Yes 100 % close this site, people are arguging over stupid things, anyone see the independent today, gardai advertsing , campaign starts 2010

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't think I can close the site. I can close the thread though. Everyone knows the news by now so the thread has served its purpose.

Thread closed.
    rugby wrote: »
    Yes 100 % close this site, people are arguging over stupid things, anyone see the independent today, gardai advertsing , campaign starts 2010

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement