Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essay

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Do you think its safe enough to write the same essay used by somebody else last year? And used by somebody else the year before that in the same school? Its a great short story, very adaptable but is it possible it would be noticed by the examiners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

So long as it's not a story from 2009 about Ireland winning the 2010 World Cup I'm sure you'll be okay? I think you will most likely get a different examiner and even if it is the same one perhaps they forgot because of all the other papers they corrected and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Learning off essays is a big no-no.

Having some material ready to use is fine, however. Provided its not an exact reproduction. They dont care where you get your material from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Although I think learning off essays is a waste of time, even if you had the exact same examiner they will not remember the essay. Even if it looks like your essay was got somewhere else, they will not investigate it. They will just correct it as if it was its own work. Obviously, I wouldn't go writing out Lord of the Rings word for word, but there are very little essays written in the LC that are completely original.

Remember, the examiner has about 500 scripts to correct. Your essay is worth about €0.25 to him/her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

What kind of titles should I be preparing for? I'm not really sure how to study for essays...:confused:

You're not expected to 'prepare' for specific topics. You're expected to be able to respond to the material given on the day using what you have learnt about the different modes of language over the last 2 years.

Personally I think learning off a short story and then inserting it into a title on the day is a very bad idea, as if it doesn't fit the title perfectly you will lose a lot of marks in clarity of purpose, and hence coherence of delivery. It's how the marking scheme is set out to stop people regurgitating learnt off essays which prove nothing about your language skills whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

Do you think its safe enough to write the same essay used by somebody else last year? And used by somebody else the year before that in the same school? Its a great short story, very adaptable but is it possible it would be noticed by the examiners?

Yeah learn it off!:D
    Any chance you'd send me a copy of it? ha

Advertisement