Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PHANTOM 105.2

• 04-06-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

as above this would be my favourite station good dj's great music(no pop) all the sport on saturdays. what do you think? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

as above this would be my favourite station good dj's great music(no pop) all the sport on saturdays. what do you think? :cool:

Music is good, but too much talk, I hate the news reports with the added little quirky music "news" at the end, it can be quite tedious evry hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Meh. It's probably the best of irish radio, but still not great.
    I got a great little app on the mobly that streams nearly any radio station in the world you can think of so I tend to rarely listen to Irish radio, and mostly listen to BBC Radio 1 and a couple others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

**** music and **** djs. Don't like it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Being in Donegal, I rely on the web streams (128k stream is great, take note RTÉ), I reckon the station is very good.

It should aim to get national coverage on DTT/DAB, I think :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Never listened to the licensed version bar a few attempts. It is rather hard to listen to for any amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They play ok music in the evenings but I hate listening to the same generic indie bands during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Phantom was brilliant until it went legit. Now it's boring and only slightly better than FM104 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

It's better than the other stations in terms of the music they play, but I dislike many of their DJ's. Too much waffle. Bring back Sinister Pete in the mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

I've noticed a change with Phantom recently, somethings different and I can't put my finger on it. It's like they've gotten some advice on how to increase revenue for a radio station and they've gone a bit corporate/formulaic.

Introducing those guess the 'whatever' games with listeners ringing in (like 2fm, fm 104). And instead of winning prizes with them via email or the iphone app, they're using sms competitions only (which can be expensive and take in large revenues).

Anyone notice 'pop' sounding songs appearing more frequently? The artists in question may not yet be popular but the music definitley sounds pop, so much so I end up checking what radio station I'm on. Used to know I was on Phantom without a doubt.

I know in order to stay ahead of the pack change is needed but I reckon this isn't heading in a good direction ...anyone else notice these small things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Just for the record almost all our competitions use entry via SMS. This is because its the easiest means of entry for our listeners.

When O2 began sponsoring our textline in 2009 we switched to a short code 51052 for logistical reasons. This shortcode is priced at standard operator rates and is not a premium number. All competitions are for the enjoyment and entertainment of our listeners and we don't make any revenue from SMS.

Just to clarify that point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I adore Michelle Doherty. I could listen to her voice all day. She plays some great tunes too, especially the ninties lunchbox.
    The couple in the morning are half decent too.

There is far too much waffle in the afternoon though.
    Sometimes I think I'm listening to Spin 1038 its so bad.

Richie can be hit and miss. Nice bloke but there is something dull about the programme. Can't put my finger on it.
    I'd rather listen to George Hook at that time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Phantom rocks! No pop sh!te decents upcoming Irish bands, and quite a few sexy presenters :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I imagine Phantom has been taken over by management who don't have a radio background. Certainly sounds that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I'm a big Phantom fan and listen it a hell of a lot. The one thing that gets me is the obsession with Bruce Springsteen. He's sh**e, get him off.

Other then that, I think they should look into going national, or at least try for a license in University cities. I know my friends back home in Galway would listen in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eth0_ wrote: »
    Phantom was brilliant until it went legit. Now it's boring and only slightly better than FM104 etc.

I dunno... I still like the station.. although I admit I never heard much of it when it was a pirate. Still - going legit was the only way to survive and saying it's only "slightly better" than arguably one of the if not THE most successful ILR's in Ireland can be taken as quite a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I enjoy the speciality shows, The Far Side, Metal Notes etc. And I sometimes listen to Michelle Doherty.

The Morning Show does my nut in though. Might be just me, I either want music or current affairs at that hour of the morning, not reviews of the tabloids, prank calls and all that shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

It's OK. It's gotten pretty craptacular in the last few months though. Music is pants! And 'decent Irish bands' as a previous poster mentioned? There hasn't been one in God knows how long. They all play the same poppy rubbish imo. Best bands around are coming from the States these days, again imo.

Anyway, I hear the same music over and over on Phantom, and two door cinema club? They're absolute gash and they're always on. That's how bad it's become music wise. I don't mind the show in the afternoon, bit of inane chat and some tunes is grand as far as I'm concerned. And they tend to talk about stuff that's somewhat quirky which I like.

two door cinema club had a bigger crowd at oxegen than arcade fire. Thats no mean feat.

and how is it only slightly better than 104?

britney spears, beyonce, jay z, jedward, and all that sh!te??

phantom give lots of small irish bands a foot in the door, and youd never hear any of that manufactured pop tripe on it.

Also i won 2 VIP camping tickets to Indiependance festival from Phantom, so im a little biased.

as for there not being any decent irish bands;
    Chalets
    Tinhoola does the hoola
    fight like apes
    jape

crap my boss is coming... theres lots more great irish music.

PHANTOM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

two door cinema club had a bigger crowd at oxegen than arcade fire. Thats no mean feat.

and how is it only slightly better than 104?
    britney spears, beyonce, jay z, jedward, and all that sh!te??
    PHANTOM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehhh no Ted....Phantom hasnt rocked for a long time........

They play dance music now too....Kele OK-Ray-k or wtf he's called ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQioZHYpvQ&feature=related....put yer hands in the air.....:p

And all those whiney beeatch groups....Marina and the machine ...:rolleyes::rolleyes:......:mad::mad:

the clue is in their slogan, "alternitive" and kelly wtf his name is, is the lead singer of Bloc Party, hardly dance, but I do know what you mean, the solo stuff does sound a bit dancey, i think its good though. 2 great singles so far, 1 more and its time i bought the album :D

Marina & diamonds gets over played, and so does Florance, but its Phantoms way of showing off, they have been playing florance since her 1st album in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I first listened to it when I was in Transition Year or thereabouts, 1998. It was decent enough at the time, but when it start to go legitimate it became a bit meh. I remember when Podge and Rodge invaded, might have that on tape somewhere. :pac:

Thankfully Nova will be back in August/Sept.......................;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sids Not wrote: »
    Thankfully Nova will be back in August/Sept.......................;)

No it won't.

A brand NEW station called Radio Nova 100, which has nothing to do with the original pirate station "Radio Nova", will be launching then.

Bard wrote: »
    No it won't.

A brand NEW station called Radio Nova 100, which has nothing to do with the original pirate station "Radio Nova", will be launching then.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....dont ya just hate PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY'RE smart arses...:p

They should have stuck with The Rock.........;)

Advertisement