Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to feed my Rottie pup

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hey GuysMy rottie pup is now 6 and half months old and is flying along,But lately she has gone off her food and struggleing with which type to use now!Originally when i got her she was on Bento Krowin,But she stopped eating it and i left her for a fews bacause I thought she was just been fussybut she would not eat it,So I changed her to feedwells but she got an eye infection from it the vet said it has to much wheat in it and thats what gave her the infection.So I tried pedgree cum and she likes that,But I am worried as everyone on here says it's muck and I don't want to be giving her that if it's bad for her,So can anybody suggest a good food,I've recently lost my job so I wudn't be able to afford royal caine at the mo unfortunitly,Can someone please recommed a cheaper alterative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Small children dipped in gravey can be tasty;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Burns do a pork and potato food, its about €40 for a 15 or 18kg bag(not to sure) which should last you a month or so.
    Its quite a good food and the ingredients look good and are cereal free as far as I know.
    Its far, far better than pedigree, which will cost you just as much I'm sure as they eat more and poop more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I feed my rottie Clinivet and hes doing great on it.

Ive also fed Arden Grange before too and Red Mills Leader Supreme. Whatever you do, do not feed her Hills Science Plan as its makes them break out in hot spots (wet excema).

If you are on a budget, then i recommend Red Mills Leader or Leader supreme, its about 35-40 for a 15 kg bad which should last over a month id say.

Is that price ok or do you need something cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

andreac wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do not feed her Hills Science Plan as its makes them break out in hot spots (wet excema).
    /QUOTE]

Is that just in that breed or does it cause that in other breeds??

Not sure Book keeper but ive heard a lot of dogs reacting badly to Hills. My dog only had some of the Hills mixed in to his normal feed and it caused it, not nice.
    Rotties are prone to hot spots anyway but i did hear of other breeds like Shar Pei's reacting to the Hills too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Thanks for that.
    Also looking to change my golden retrievers food. She's currently eating James Well Beloved but she's not too keen on it and her poo is a bit on the soft side. Had thought about introducing Scienceplan but maybe one of the ones you recommended above might be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

sral1 take a break, and read the charter before you come back please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

sral1 wrote: »
    Small children dipped in gravey can be tasty;):D

tats just pure ignorance and lack of knowledge of the breed next time u want to comment on something like this make sure you know what your talking about before you do.thanks everydody else you have been real helpful anybody know where i would get Clinivet?and how much it is

I get mine online but it is a little pricey so might be out of your budget.
    What would be your budget to spend on dog food per month and we can try recommend something for you?

I get mine online but it is a little pricey so might be out of your budget.
    What would be your budget to spend on dog food per month and we can try recommend something for you?

about €30 a month,

• Advertisement

The id probably go with the Red Mills Leader. Im not sure what other ones are out there for about 30 but someone else might be able to help recommend another for you, but Red Mills is quite a good one in that price range.

Gain also do a new large breed one which might suit as well.

The id probably go with the Red Mills Leader. Im not sure what other ones are out there for about 30 but someone else might be able to help recommend another for you, but Red Mills is quite a good one in that price range.

Gain also do a new large breed one which might suit as well.

Ah tanx a mill andrea u have been really helpful! :) do you know by any chance where i would get the gain?I'm based in north dublin!

http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/puppy

Theres the link to the Gain Big dog feed. Not sure where they are supplied but if you contact them they should be able to give you a list of suppliers in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about a raw food diet? I switched my dogs onto it over a year ago and I find it much cheaper than dried food. It does take preparation time and a bit of organisation. The resulting poo's are smaller and harder so easier to clean up!

What about a raw food diet? I switched my dogs onto it over a year ago and I find it much cheaper than dried food. It does take preparation time and a bit of organisation. The resulting poo's are smaller and harder so easier to clean up!

what is the raw food diet??I've never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

lisar201 wrote: »
    what is the raw food diet??I've never heard of it

It is what it says - feeding your animal raw food! Feeding dogs raw meat and some veg, with no kibble or other commercial dog food, also referred to as BARF. More info here---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wolfsshadow

i go to the butchers and get offcuts where they are trimming the meat, its good for the larger breeds, they need more fat and oil due to smaller stomach to wieght ratio, they get nuts as well but the meat helps them keep good condition, have you tried going north for dog food it's a lot cheaper, different foods suit different dogs, i wouldn't use redmills, to much ceral, but if it suits your dog it's fine, gain is good, their greyhound food is meat based and about €25 for 15kg, clinivet is also good, if you go north look for Aurterky summer years, it's about £17 and meat based, look at the ingredients and analasys, if ceral comes fist thats whats mainly in it, you need at least 12% oil and 22% protien, if you give him raw meat remember raw bones even chicken is fine never give cooked bones because they are brittle and will splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whatever you do, do not feed her Hills Science Plan as its makes them break out in hot spots (wet excema).
    /QUOTE]

Is that just in that breed or does it cause that in other breeds??

This happened to our golden retriever pup too! :mad: The rubbish vet said he was overweight and it was causing his lameness (he'd been lame for a month or two at this stage but he's ok now ) and told me to put him on Hills r/d so he'd drop the weight quickly. Luckily I only bought a small bag because I don't like Hills and went back to see the other vet the following week and she told me his weight was fine and that he could go back to his Burns! :pac: On the Hills his tummy was itchy and he had bald patches from being so itchy!
    Loads of people have commented on how much calmer our guy is since switching to Burns a few months ago too. I get it from zooplus.co.uk but some vets sell it too - the veterinary hospital in Fairview stand is one of them.

Thanks for all ur help i'm gona go with the gains for the moment and then i might try her on the raw diet when she is over a year

this is her a 3 months and the second one is of her now

Hi Guys thanks for all your help i have her on the gains big dog puppy food now and she loves it,and it's only €23!!!

• Advertisement

Hi Guys thanks for all your help i have her on the gains big dog puppy food now and she loves it,and it's only €23!!!

Ah thats great Lisar, just one question, where did you manage to source it?

Ah thats great Lisar, just one question, where did you manage to source it?

I got on to gains themselves and they sent me the stocklists in north dublin petmania in santry and a new pet shop out in balbriggan stock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I got on to gains themselves and they sent me the stocklists in north dublin petmania in santry and a new pet shop out in balbriggan stock it

Just had a look at their website www.gainfeeds.com They don't seem to give the ingredient list for their different pet feeds on the website - sent off an email to them to ask.

They have a link on their website for getting the nearest stockist to you - just fill out a form and send it off. And I think they reply with an email.

Its certainly very cheap - I suppose Gain would be on par with some of Red Mills feeds.

I wonder why they don't list the ingredients on their website? Red Mills are the same - and with Red Mills Leader the ingredients on the back of packet lists animal derivatives, etc.

paultf wrote: »
    Just had a look at their website www.gainfeeds.com They don't seem to give the ingredient list for their different pet feeds on the website - sent off an email to them to ask.

They have a link on their website for getting the nearest stockist to you - just fill out a form and send it off. And I think they reply with an email.

Its certainly very cheap - I suppose Gain would be on par with some of Red Mills feeds.

I wonder why they don't list the ingredients on their website? Red Mills are the same - and with Red Mills Leader the ingredients on the back of packet lists animal derivatives, etc.

yeah i emailed them and they got back to me the next day, there 27% proetin and 15% essential oils i think and a very low % of wheat.which is what i was looking for

yeah i emailed them and they got back to me the next day, there 27% proetin and 15% essential oils i think and a very low % of wheat.which is what i was looking for

I was looking at Gain Complete on the website and they list the percentages of protein, oil, fibre, etc.

But they don't give the ingredients i.e. what meat is used? cereals? etc And their percentages. Do they use chicken or beef or rice....? They don't just list it on the website.

paultf wrote: »
    I was looking at Gain Complete on the website and they list the percentages of protein, oil, fibre, etc.

But they don't give the ingredients i.e. what meat is used? cereals? etc And their percentages. Do they use chicken or beef or rice....? They don't just list it on the website.

Just out of curiosity I sent an email to Gain to get a list of their ingredients. Seems similar to Red Mills Leader but cheaper in price. Here's the reply from Gain:-

"The ingredient listing for all Irish manufactured products are
    in categories and the declaration for Gain Adult is: Cereals, meat and
    animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein
    extracts, oils and fats, minerals, vitamins."

Advertisement