Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 10 - "Vincent and the Doctor"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Also weird he's not trying to save him.

As others have said, I suppose he just doesn't know how! He still hasn't figured out what the cracks are or where they originate from, and without knowing that there's very little he can do. With Rory erased from existence, there's nowhere and no place the Doctor can travel to in order to save him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

As others have said, I suppose he just doesn't know how! He still hasn't figured out what the cracks are or where they originate from, and without knowing that there's very little he can do. With Rory erased from existence, there's nowhere and no place the Doctor can travel to in order to save him. :(

I imagine the "reset" switch will be thrown, by the Doctor stopping the cracks forming, therefore stopping their effects ever happening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Another poor episode for me... The story did nothing for me, the creature was rubbish and there visit to Paris at the end was just plain ridiculious.
    Sadly I just can't get into this series at all and It's just not nearly as good as the last four series imo :( The only good thing about the episode was the trailer for next week, and an episode that actually looks exciting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think I'm just getting one of those suspension of disbelief anomolies where I'd like to see him thinking about how. I find that unrealistic... as opposed to a telephone box hurtling through space :D It's absurd but hey, that's the human brain for you!

Of course, this doesn't really play well narratively as who'd he talk to about it? He can't discuss it with anyone, no one remembers him.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Interesting episode good for a low budget one I felt. Thought the actor who played Van Gogh was very good really understand the depression of the man.

Over the last couple of episodes though I think Matt Smith's youth as an actor has been shown up, you just don't get that urgency that you did with Tennant. Still find him a very good Doctor none the less.

Looking forward to the finale now and finding out about the crack in time and how it is all linked to his regeneration. Should be a good conclusion to a series that marked the beginning for DW again, in the sense of new lead writer, new doctor and new assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought this was an excellent "filler" episode. All the bits were handled well - humour and drama and time for some adult emotions too. Particularly liked the nods to Rory.

I really liked Matt Smith's performance this week - his eccentric movements and quirks really work for me. I've just finished watching Season 6 and now, having watched all 600+ episodes in some form or other, I can safely say he ranks very well with me.

Additional bits I really liked: Shots of Hartnell and Troughton! Again! We haven't had this much S1-S6 loving since the show began.
    Also: More dissing of the sonic screwdriver :D

Also - anyone else get a "City of Death" moment? That episode also featured an excellent British actor in a cameo role who was in the Louvre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »

Also - anyone else get a "City of Death" moment? That episode also featured an excellent British actor in a cameo role who was in the Louvre.

Second post in the thread. Keep up :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Second post in the thread. Keep up :D
    Dang it! That's what I get for watching late and rushing through thinking myself so clever....
    But I'm glad someone else got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Loved seeing Bill Nighy in this episode, and actually felt it was one of the better monster of the week type episodes we've seen in this series so far, I think next week also looks good

Just a pity they almost wasted most of the first part of the series

Oh, and when are we going to get to see Amy's Aunt, as was promised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Sorry about the late reply,only just watched the episode! Have tonights one ready to go but just wanted to read what you all thought. Agree with almost everything,good episode,loved the end,loved that his personal timeline remained as it had been,the doctor said rory :eek: wtf?, agree the invisible monster didn't have to be there,matt smiths' acting was much improved....The only thing off for me is that Amy,I can't stand her..
    Can't wait to see next one,love James Corden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Only got around to my second viewing of this episode now and I have to say its probably my favourite of the season (so far anyway - still 2 to go)... The last 5-10 minutes had me in tears - it was fantastically written and very well acted from all involved...
    I also loved the subtle comparisons between Van Gogh and the monster, and I liked how the monster of the week was merely a side story - I'm not saying I'd always want it to be this way, but it really is nice to have that once in awhile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

angelll wrote: »
    Sorry about the late reply,only just watched the episode! Have tonights one ready to go but just wanted to read what you all thought. Agree with almost everything,good episode,loved the end,loved that his personal timeline remained as it had been,the doctor said rory :eek: wtf?, agree the invisible monster didn't have to be there,matt smiths' acting was much improved....The only thing off for me is that Amy,I can't stand her..
    Can't wait to see next one,love James Corden :D

That's it, you and I will never agree on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

That's it, you and I will never agree on anything

:D

Advertisement