Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurobarometer on attitudes to sport

• 04-06-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

This isn't cycling specific but just happened across it and thought I'd share:

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_334_en.pdf

The headline news is that more Irish people exercise "regularly or with some regularity" than members of any other EU nation. Am I alone in finding this surprising?

(Incidentally the country at the other end of the scale is Greece which, since they invented marathon running, seems equally surprising.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Turning to the results from the individual EU members, Ireland emerges as having more people (23%) who play sport ‘regularly’ (5 times a week or more) than any other European nation;

Er, no. It shows that Ireland has more people who claim to play sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

An important - and correct - distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Does binge drinking count as a sport now? That's the only explanation that spring to my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Irish people or people resident in Ireland?
    Also with our age profile we should be the most active.
    ‘5 times a week or more’ is a lot, We’re kind of a land of extremes maybe we do have quite a few who do that. Just as many who do F*** all exercise.
    We probably have a relatively high percentage of tea-totalers, while being the amongst the leading binge drinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Irish people or people resident in Ireland?
    Also with our age profile we should be the most active.
    ‘5 times a week or more’ is a lot, We’re kind of a land of extremes maybe we do have quite a few who do that. Just as many who do F*** all exercise.
    We probably have a relatively high percentage of tea-totalers, while being the amongst the leading binge drinkers.

Closer examination reveals that we only have 26% never doing any sport, which is at the lowever end of the scale (average is 39%, top is Greece 67%, bottom is Sweeden 6%).

I find it hard to believe that 74% of people 'play' sports at least once a year. I suppose Golf is pretty popular but still.

What ever about binge drinking, watching sport on TV is obviously considered a sport in ireland, as is lying (which is heavily encouraged by the government) .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Here's the Ireland fact sheet:

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_334_fact_ie_en.pdf

It's important to stress that the survey is on sport and physical activity, so excise from walking a tiny bit or going to the gym every so often is included. And we're still talking about very low percentages:
    How often do you exercise of play sport?

Answer: Regulary

EU27 9% - IE 23%

Also notable are some of the differences between where exercise is done:

Where do you engage in sports or physical activity?

In a park, out in nature: EU27 48% - IE 43%
    On the way between home and school/ work/ shops: EU27 31% - IE 25%
    In a fitness centre: EU27 11% - IE 16%
    In a club: EU27 11% - IE 16%
    [etc...]

And 19% of Irish respondents (compared to an average of 10%) answered that they did not know what is preventing them from more regular activity. Irish were lower than the average here for not having enough time being the main reason, but elsewhere 51% agreed (mix of strongly agree or tend to agree) with the statment "there are opportunities to be physically active in my area but I do not have the time to take advantage of them."

EDIT: Also: The main report says:
    At the country level, the Member States where most people are active ‘regularly’ are Latvia (44%), Denmark (43%), the Netherlands (43%), Hungary (41%), Estonia (40%) and Sweden (40%)...

The vast majority of EU Member States have citizens who are physically active at least once a week. Leading the way by this measure are Denmark (85%), the Netherlands (84%), Sweden (84%) and Slovenia (80%).

...Sweden (2%), Bulgaria (3%), Denmark (4%), Finland (4%), Slovenia (5%) and Netherlands (5%), where the fewest respondents are never active.

My highlighting -- These are all known for high levels of commuter cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Physical activity", eh? That explains it.

Advertisement