Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Uk mobile from Ireland

Options
  • 04-06-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Guys,

I make a number of calls to the uk each week. Can't beleive how much I am charged each month. Some bills come to 200 quid. I use skype on some occasions, but sometimes I don't have access to wireless network. Anyway I have decided to act and try save myself a few quid. i would appreciate any suggestions ..

I was wondering if it would make any difference if it I called an irish mobile (based in the uk) or would that person be charged extra?

Alternatively I beleive three mobile let you use your minutes to call uk mobiles?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭muffinhead

If you gave the person you call in the UK an Irish O2 or Vodafone simcard they could receive calls for free in the UK if they opt in to the free O2 Travel or Vodafone Passport services. Then you would only pay the cost of calling an Irish mobile.

http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/passport/
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Travelling+Abroad/O2+Travel/

Alternatively, you could get a Three UK simcard (requires a 3G phone) and take advantage of this offer which allows you to receive calls for free whilst roaming on Three Ireland but also to make calls for 10p per min back to UK mobiles:

http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/International/ROI_Promotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tcjjr

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Have a look at voipstunt.com It works really well, for calls to landlines and to mobiles.

Another possibility would be www.freespeech.ie

I use both of the above, and am very happy with them. You might find that voipstunt.com works for you, or freespeech.ie might do the trick. Well worth checking out though.

I have no experience of blueface.ie, but some friends speak highly of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

On three contracts you can use half of your minutes to call UK numbers. From section 3 of their terms and conditions.
    3. You may use up to 50% of your Flexi-unit voice minutes to make voice calls to the United Kingdom from the Republic of Ireland. All other usage, i.e. (i) when calling from Republic of Ireland to outside of Republic of Ireland, or, (ii) making calls when outside Republic of Ireland (including calls to Republic of Ireland), or (iii), receiving calls when outside Republic of Ireland, are charged at out of allowance rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

7cent a minute from these:http://13434.ie/mobilerates.php

That excludes the price of the call to the dublin number, which would depend on your price plan, but it would just come out of you minutes if you have any left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 is a no brainer if your calling the uk the whole time. You can use your relax units to call the UK, I do ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

3 is a no brainer if your calling the uk the whole time. You can use your relax units to call the UK, I do ; )

Does this include calling to UK mobiles?

sean72 wrote: »
    Does this include calling to UK mobiles?

Any UK landline or Mobile. It comes out of your felxi units. It uses 2 units instead of one. Nothing ends up on top of your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Any UK landline or Mobile. It comes out of your felxi units. It uses 2 units instead of one. Nothing ends up on top of your bill.

Sorry drunkmonkey but does this include all uk mobile networks? Just checking for sure as this could mean me switching all my phones to 3. A lot of my friends and most of my family are in the North or England and they are all getting rid of their landlines. Phoning their mobiles is a very costly business

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I am on Vodaphone pay as you go and can ring UK mobile and land lines at a rate of 10c per minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its a brainer if you travel around Ireland. I know so many business men that went for three cause of their unlimited plan to get free calls and free uk calls and free iphone. All of them have regrets that the coverage is crap. They keep having no signal, dropped calls and no availability. Instead of speaking to the person they go to their voicemail.

So if you travel around alot it might not be your best option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A lot of my friends and most of my family are in the North or England and they are all getting rid of their landlines.

Lovely. They put the cost on you so that they can save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sure what would ya need a landline for at this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Skype is on the better 3 mobiles.
    It works over phone network although you cannot make free calls in ireland, only abroad.
    Have had some probs recently though logging on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Viber all the way.

sean72 wrote: »
    Sorry drunkmonkey but does this include all uk mobile networks? Phoning their mobiles is a very costly business

Yea you can call any UK mobile or landline, 3 have always allowed you to use your units for calling the UK.
    I'm on 3 a good few years and never paid for a call to the UK or NI, you've also free roaming for voice and data if your in the UK as long as your on the 3 Network over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

€0.20 cents to UK mobile and €0.09 cents to UK landline from Tesco mobile.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx

They double your topup when you topup by €10 or €20. You can only use free call value to Ireland calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

get a blueface account.. www.blueface.ie you get a voip number / account also you get a normal number in dublin you can ring from your mobile or landline and connect your calls via voip, so you ring the dublin number first then when it answers you put in the international number you want to call.

the dublin number comes out of your phone minutes.. and the international part of the call comes out of your blueface account..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alfa_D

Viber or Skype from smart phone seems the easiest way forward. Looking at this lately myself.

Advertisement