Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahinch Accomodation

Options
  • 04-06-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in the West Coast Lodge? Thinking of staying there with some friends and get the Double rooms.
    Got some ladies coming along so want to make the surf experince as pleasant as possible and all houses seem to be taken for the Weekend we're going.

Thanks,

Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Hey,

Yeah I stayed there last easter and it was very good = http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2010/04/surf-trip-lahinch-easter-weekend-april.html

I'd totally recommend it; its clean, friendly and modern. Only a stones throw from the beach as well. A Small bit more pricy than other hostels but you notice the difference.

the breakfast is very good - big spread of breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt - all you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

check out this - http://www.dreamireland.com/site/Summercove_Holiday_Homes.19236.html I'll be heading there this weekend renting 2 houses. Review to come mid next week. Surfing weekend.

I think for the 2 we are paying about 650 for the 2 nights (total)

my bad; here is the link we contacted: http://www.self-catering-lahinch.com/rental-houses.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

+1
    yeah go the lodge, it sh1ts all over the hostel and its pretty good value given the breakfast you get. filter coffee, ceareal toast fruit.
    dorms (18 a head) a separated into blokes and women and are pretty basic but the double rooms are nice and clean and for 25 pps (well it was anyway) its savage value.

They also have an awesome golden retriever pup who wanders about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Sniipe wrote: »
    check out this - http://www.dreamireland.com/site/Summercove_Holiday_Homes.19236.html I'll be heading there this weekend renting 2 houses. Review to come mid next week. Surfing weekend.

I think for the 2 we are paying about 650 for the 2 nights (total)

my bad; here is the link we contacted: http://www.self-catering-lahinch.com/rental-houses.htm

Thanks, checked there before but booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moyda

Can't talk for the other rooms but I found this place to be absolutely the worst place I've stayed in for years. The website makes it look to tempting.

We were in a large 12 bed dorm (that's fine). However we had to share one stinking toilet (complete with broken shower) between the lot of us. The fan extractor was broken. There is no bin in the toilet. There are no other communal bathrooms. On the first night I asked a staff member for another toilet was and I was told to "go in that garden over there", pointing across the road. Unreal.

When I told a staff member the next day about the shower he admitted we should not have been sold the room. The electrics in the room are also a joke. You can't turn on the bathroom light without turning on all the lights in the room so when people come in late everyone has to be woken up for someone to brush their teeth.

There are two doors in the room. One of which someone (mistakenly) tried to come in at 3am during the night (for some unknown reason they had a key??)

Other gems from the web site
    iPod stations in the rooms" - there isn't.
    "Flat screen satellite TV" - there isn't
    "Power showers" - the control knob was broken and any staff member who glanced at it would see that.
    "Wifi" - there is absolutely no wifi signal in the room (tried on 3 different devices)

We tried to book in to the place across the road but it was full so we were stuck there. Breakfast was fine but nothing to write home about.

I really really wanted this place to be good. Never again. Zero attention to detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

moyda wrote: »
    Can't talk for the other rooms but I found this place to be absolutely the worst place I've stayed in for years. The website makes it look to tempting.

We were in a large 12 bed dorm (that's fine). However we had to share one stinking toilet (complete with broken shower) between the lot of us. The fan extractor was broken. There is no bin in the toilet. There are no other communal bathrooms. On the first night I asked a staff member for another toilet was and I was told to "go in that garden over there", pointing across the road. Unreal.

When I told a staff member the next day about the shower he admitted we should not have been sold the room. The electrics in the room are also a joke. You can't turn on the bathroom light without turning on all the lights in the room so when people come in late everyone has to be woken up for someone to brush their teeth.

There are two doors in the room. One of which someone (mistakenly) tried to come in at 3am during the night (for some unknown reason they had a key??)

Other gems from the web site
    iPod stations in the rooms" - there isn't.
    "Flat screen satellite TV" - there isn't
    "Power showers" - the control knob was broken and any staff member who glanced at it would see that.
    "Wifi" - there is absolutely no wifi signal in the room (tried on 3 different devices)

We tried to book in to the place across the road but it was full so we were stuck there. Breakfast was fine but nothing to write home about.

I really really wanted this place to be good. Never again. Zero attention to detail.

Can't say I've had the same experience, although I wouldn't expect much from one of the 12bed dorms tbh.

I've stayed in a double room about 4 weeks ago and it was great - big room, ipod docking station, flat screen tv with around 12 channels, wifi signal.

For the price I think it's the best around Lahinch. I usually camp, but their was a bigger gang this time and some weren't keep on camping and worked out around the same price as camping would have. If you want fancy or more homely then go to a B&B or hotel, but for us it was a place to surf during the day, few cans in the hostel common room and then head out (then repeat :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moyda

I guess what I am saying is...
    if offered the 12 bed dorm... go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Stayed there in May, thought it was fantastic, couldn't ask for better!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

moyda wrote: »
    I guess what I am saying is...
    if offered the 12 bed dorm... go somewhere else
    I stayed in the 12 bed dorm a few weeks back and found no problem. It doesnt have all the frills but it is clean and spacious and yes only one bathroom but I think that is pretty standard for a 12 bed dorm.

Moyda, seriously where else in Lahinch would you suggest?!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

CRenegade wrote: »
    I stayed in the 12 bed dorm a few weeks back and found no problem. It doesnt have all the frills but it is clean and spacious and yes only one bathroom but I think that is pretty standard for a 12 bed dorm.

Moyda, seriously where else in Lahinch would you suggest?!

It sounds about the same as the lahinch hostel. Except its only a communal showers/toilets there.

You get what you pay for, if you expected flat screens and ipod docks in a 12 bed dorm maybe hostel stays aren't for you. I'd recommend a stay in Doonbeg golf club for your next coastal visit! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Its a bit of a party hostel.

I found it clean, comfortable and LOUD

Advertisement