Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoints

Options
  • 04-06-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Only Garda checkpoints I ever come across in galway are either on merchants road down by the docks or out on the dual carriageway going towards Oranmore, any others I should be aware of:)?

Comments

Guilty conscience?

They have some on the Tuam road by the post office sorting office / Kenny's Garage / entrance to racecourse sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Loads of guards on the roads these days OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EBONY00

Ya ive seen them on the tuam road once before but that wasnt even a checkpoint and not worried about so much but find them irritating to say the least, find it hard to stomach to site of them boys in blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

2 speed traps on motorway between Bsloe and the city yesterday
    Another this morning.
    They are flat out..

Relevant to galway city and its environs only please? thanks tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They should be ashamed of themselves doing it on the motorways, I heard them on TV recently saying they would be placing speed traps at dangerous locations not on the safest roads in the Country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, if someone blasts down the motorway at 160 with other cars there they are still dangerous in the sense that reaction time is more limited.
    That said the motorway is definitely more safe than the back roads with 100 signs.

Only ever saw garda on Merchants Rd checking for tax/nct etc.

I disagree Biko primarily because the vast majority of drivers on the motorway are already able to drive and usually have full licences as they are required to by law whereas a large proportion of drivers around this city and county drive on a provisional but just dont put the L plates to avoid unwanted attention. A big problem on the roads these days

EBONY00 wrote: »
    I disagree Biko primarily because the vast majority of drivers on the motorway are already able to drive and usually have full licences as they are required to by law whereas a large proportion of drivers around this city and county drive on a provisional but just dont put the L plates to avoid unwanted attention. A big problem on the roads these days

A full license isn't a sign of competence :rolleyes:

Just because they can keep two hands on a wheel, and follow certain other guidelines for 30 odd minutes one day, doesn't mean they are safe drivers forever after.

Some of the worst drivers i know passed their tests first go. Big difference between driving at 30mph with someone watching you and driving on a motorway/main road by yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

The fact that motorways arent included in the driving test means that an awful lot of people don't drive properly on them, so I can see the logic of having them on motorways tbh

• Advertisement

A full license isn't a sign of competence rolleyes.gif

Just because they can keep two hands on a wheel, and follow certain other guidelines for 30 odd minutes one day, doesn't mean they are safe drivers forever after.

Some of the worst drivers i know passed their tests first go. Big difference between driving at 30mph with someone watching you and driving on a motorway/main road by yourself.

Not so, it actually is a sign of competence otherwise what are we doing having driving test's or licences in the first place. I agree alot of bad drivers do pass it but the main aim of it is to encourage better driving by the masses and result in people taking driving lessons as opposed to just hoping on the roads whenever they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

A full license isn't a sign of competence rolleyes.gif

Some of the worst drivers i know passed their tests first go. Big difference between driving at 30mph with someone watching you and driving on a motorway/main road by yourself.

Not so, it actually is a sign of competence otherwise what are we doing having driving test's or licences in the first place. I agree alot of bad drivers do pass it but the main aim of it is to encourage better driving by the masses and result in people taking driving lessons as opposed to just hoping on the roads whenever they feel like it.
    Did i just read correctly that passing the test is not a sign of competence?

Its the very definition of competence irrespective of personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

seen them check at the top of Eyre Square, Bohermore direction (near the council buildings). Also seen them in Ballybrit (mainly Customs though) along the access route to the industrial estate there.

Definitely on the Tuam road near Kenny's.

And (though not in Galway City) out in Spideal near the petrol station (where I had my first ever breathalyser test in 15 years' driving.) Oh - and speed checks usually in Furbo village.

Not even going to start the 'crappy driver' discussion again, it's too upsetting...(yesterday seemed to have been 'dumb indicator day'. SO many people either not indicating, constantly indicating, or indicating incorrectly. aaargh).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pay your taxes and you'll be grand OP.

I really dont want to pay my motor tax tho, its 232euro every 3 months and where's it going, im certainly not benifitting from them, roads are a disgrace as everyone can see

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I really dont want to pay my motor tax tho, its 232euro every 3 months and where's it going...
    ...Central Exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They set up at different places on the N17 on a regular basis checking tax & insurance but that's about it. I really wish they'd start pulling people for going to slow on that road, people doing 70klm on that road should get you points.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Currently there is a checkpoint outside the galway race-course on the tuam road side .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Barna Road in the lay-by where there's a load of B&Bs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I really dont want to pay my motor tax tho, its 232euro every 3 months and where's it going, im certainly not benifitting from them, roads are a disgrace as everyone can see

It goes into paying for scroungers on the social welfare system, medical card holders, free state housing etc. You wouldn't happen to be one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Passing through as they were setting up. Thankfully he let me pass through without checking. I was shting it though. I have no nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

3fullback wrote: »
    Currently there is a checkpoint outside the galway race-course on the tuam road side .
    Good job I was reading boards on my smartphone driving home or I would have been caught drunk driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Got stopped 3 times lastnight, very thorough, they're obviously looking for something. Saw a fair few undesirables on my travels lastnight,, different crowd often about for Bank Hol. Joys of being the designated driver, you see everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Passing through as they were setting up. Thankfully he let me pass through without checking. I was shting it though. I have no nct.

Just Book your NCT and keep a copy of the booking in the car with you and you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

No NCT = 5 penalty points if the Garda so wishes.

Nobody likes paying motor tax but it has to be done. If the amount you pay irks you that much then get a smaller or lower emission car that doesn't cost as much to tax.

Driving around wondering where the next guard is going to be or not being able to park on the street is no way to be. You'll get caught eventually and the tax will be backdated to when it was last paid so there's no way out of it. Sure we don't see much return for our motor tax money but I sincerely doubt any traffic Corp Garda would pay much heed to such principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Most of the Garda Traffic Corps cars now have front and rear facing cameras, with number-plate recognition linked to a database of un-taxed cars.
    They don't even need to catch you at a checkpoint for out of date tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

dilallio wrote: »
    Most of the Garda Traffic Corps cars now have front and rear facing cameras, with number-plate recognition linked to a database of un-taxed cars. They don't even need to catch you at a checkpoint for out of date tax.

tis true, there's a yank in charge, she's introducing us to all her law enforcement tech awesomeness... it'll be great, can you imagine an episode of !!:eek:COPS:eek:!! filmed on the mean midweek highways of Ballinasole or a June Bank Holiday weekend in Galway?!?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So you're driving something with an engine capacity of between 2,101 to 2,200 c.c.

Maybe downsize...?

Otherwise have fun looking over your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I deeply despise paying the motor tax (600 on my 1.8 diesel) as i work in Athlone, so pay €20 in tolls every week. So i pay 600 road tax, and effectively €1k more road tax.

And dont anyone dare say "Move to Athlone".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I deeply despise paying the motor tax (600 on my 1.8 diesel) as i work in Athlone, so pay €20 in tolls every week. So i pay 600 road tax, and effectively €1k more road tax.

And dont anyone dare say "Move to Athlone".

Moving to Athlone would be a good option though if you despise it so deeply.

Alternatively you could get the train or bus.

Advertisement