Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoints

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Seem them on a fair few roads over the years.Fair play too,way too many idiots on the roads.
    I love the indignation of some people after they get caught breaking the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Seem them on a fair few roads over the years.Fair play too,way too many idiots on the roads.
    I love the indignation of some people after they get caught breaking the law.

I'd say the Gardai have lost the moral authority of the people. They have become one trick ponies now, collecting revenue for the government while serious crime escalates.

Interesting to note gentleman on Joe Duffy who tried to report Ivor Callely for fraud was told by garda on duty that it was not a matter they would consider investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

sesna wrote: »
    Moving to Athlone would be a good option though if you despise it so deeply.

Alternatively you could get the train or bus.

Neither are practical. A taxi to the bus station would result in the same net cost over the year, if not more.

And "Moving to Athlone" Is not practical either.

A useless solution, but thanks for playing the game

I'd say the Gardai have lost the moral authority of the people. They have become one trick ponies now, collecting revenue for the government while serious crime escalates.

Interesting to note gentleman on Joe Duffy who tried to report Ivor Callely for fraud was told by garda on duty that it was not a matter they would consider investigating.

Yep thats it right there-I love it.
    Joe Duffy-the lifeline to the impotent.

Neither are practical. A taxi to the bus station would result in the same net cost over the year, if not more.

Fair enough, I too despise having to pay 24 euro a week, 1200 a year going through the M50 toll - a 300 metre bridge the taxpayer is already paying 600 million for thanks to Haughey's government negotiating a dodgy deal with NTR - signatories including George Redmond (subsequently jailed), P Flynn (Class act), Tom Hand, etc.

Don't forget about your carbon tax either which Eamon Ryan contends is not to generate revenue, but to change behaviour!

Such is the country we live in, but of course the people get the government they deserve.

• Advertisement

Yep thats it right there-I love it.
    Joe Duffy-the lifeline to the impotent.

What a useless, inane comment.

Joe Duffy has nothing to with the above point. His researches contacted the person in question.

You, or your family member wouldn't happened to have earned over 80k in over time alone last year, have a good pensionable job, but yet whine to the same Joe Duffy about not being able to pay your mortage, the injustice of pension levies etc?

What a useless, inane comment.

Joe Duffy has nothing to with the above point. His researches contacted the person in question.

You, or your family member wouldn't happened to have earned over 80k in over time alone last year, have a good pensionable job, but yet whine to the same Joe Duffy about not being able to pay your mortage, the injustice of pension levies etc?

What on earth are you talking about?
    Anyone want to stay on topic?
    Ill start-I love Garda checkpoints.
    I await your rebuttal with relish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Take the back road, avoid the toll. :rolleyes:

What on earth are you talking about?
    Anyone want to stay on topic?
    Ill start-I love Garda checkpoints.
    I await your rebuttal with relish.

I'll try one of yours..

Yep thats it right there-I love it

I'll try one of yours..

Yep thats it right there-I love it

So were in agreement then.Excellent.Oh and I see you used bold type-how very creative of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

A full license isn't a sign of competence :rolleyes:

The slip of paper they give you after passing your test is actually called the 'Certificate of Competence', so ehhhhh.... :rolleyes:

The slip of paper they give you after passing your test is actually called the 'Certificate of Competence', so ehhhhh.... :rolleyes:

Not sure what point your trying to make?!:confused:... at any rate i didn't agree with the posters comment who i replied too that basically only full licensed drivers use the motor way so the guards shouldnt bother clocking there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EBONY00

Sesna. It goes into paying for scroungers on the social welfare system, medical card holders, free state housing etc. You wouldn't happen to be one ?
    I actually do work and go to college resulting in me paying both college fees and and alot of income tax. Probably contributing twice as much to the economy as someone like you that makes comments such as the above. What do you do that makes you think you can slag off other people unfortunate enough to be unemployed and unable to find work.

Sheifu. So you're driving something with an engine capacity of between 2,101 to 2,200 c.c.

Maybe downsize...?

Otherwise have fun looking over your shoulder

Maybe downsize, why should I? Somebody should be able to drive whatever car they wish, we live in Ireland not Russia. The point I was making was that the road tax we are currently paying as a nation is not going towards the upkeep and maintenance of roads which is the whole point of road tax in the first place. Maybe downsize shouldn't be the question, why do the irish public continually put up with this kind of rubbish from our governments should be question.

Gilberto eire.Not sure what point your trying to make?!... at any rate i didn't agree with the posters comment who i replied too that basically only full licensed drivers use the motor way so the guards shouldnt bother clocking there
    Every hear the expression, don't try and dig yourself out of a hole when you are in one already. The point you made was that a driving licence wasn't a sign of competence on the roads which is ridiculous as one poster pointed out that it is the very definition of competence irrespective of opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There were 4 squad cars on the quinncentennial bridge on two seperate occasions on Sunday evening blocking the bike path to facilitate the inspection of motor cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I thought there would have been a lot more checkpoints over the bank holiday weekend.

I drove to Athlone and back yesterday on the M6 and there was one speed camera just as I came onto the Motorway.

EBONY00 wrote: »
    What do you do that makes you think you can slag off other people unfortunate enough to be unemployed and unable to find work.

I pay my motortax, if I am using my vehicle on public roads.

You should try it sometime, instead of posting on boards looking for ways around Garda CP's, something a complete crusty scrounger would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Maybe downsize, why should I?

...because you can't afford to pay it? or because you don't see where your money is going to? Why give the government more money if you don't have to?

I pay my motortax, if I am using my vehicle on public roads.

You should try it sometime, instead of posting on boards looking for ways around Garda CP's, something a complete crusty scrounger would do.

So what are you commenting on this topic for? do you really have such a pathetic life that you have nothing better to do than comment on topics that you dont even like or can relate to.
    Oh, and you pay your motor tax, well done, congratulations, now why dont you go away and pat yourself on the back for that one. Leave intelligent conversations to the adults.

...because you can't afford to pay it? or because you don't see where your money is going to? Why give the government more money if you don't have to?

I can afford it, thats not the point. I really can't see where the money is going to, at all. and I dont want to give the government any more money than I have to but I am expected to if I want to continue to drive my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dilallio wrote: »
    Most of the Garda Traffic Corps cars now have front and rear facing cameras, with number-plate recognition linked to a database of un-taxed cars.
    They don't even need to catch you at a checkpoint for out of date tax.
    :eek: I didn't know the guards had that technology yet? I knew they used it allot in the UK but didn't think our government would put the money into something like that.

• Advertisement

So what are you commenting on this topic for? do you really have such a pathetic life that you have nothing better to do than comment on topics that you dont even like or can relate to.
    Oh, and you pay your motor tax, well done, congratulations, now why dont you go away and pat yourself on the back for that one. Leave intelligent conversations to the adults.

Im sorry I cant relate to being social welfare leech scrounging off the system, while lazing around the house all day in my slippers.
    Try not to be so sensitive, crusty. Luckily for society, there are not too many tree huggers like yourself who dont pay any taxes, yet leech whatever they can off the system.

Enjoy your "intelligent conversation" about evading garda CP's :pac:

Im sorry I cant relate to being social welfare leech scrounging off the system, while lazing around the house all day in my slippers.
    Try not to be so sensitive, crusty. Luckily for society, there are not too many tree huggers like yourself who dont pay any taxes, yet leech whatever they can off the system.

Enjoy your "intelligent conversation" about evading garda CP's :pac:

Did I not say I already pay taxes and quite alot of them aswell. Try and pay attention. I'd love to know what line of work you do that makes you think you can slag off those people who are unable to find work. Your probably a pencil pusher in a public sector leeching off this country in another way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Vladidim

Did I not say I already pay taxes and quite alot of them aswell. Try and pay attention. I'd love to know what line of work you do that makes you think you can slag off those people who are unable to find work. Your probably a pencil pusher in a public sector leeching off this country in another way.

I always have to laugh when I hear crustys argue that they are paying tax, because there is VAT on dutch gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Paying your motor tax is a legal obligation - I don't really care if you don't want to do it, I hope you get caught :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Maybe downsize, why should I? Somebody should be able to drive whatever car they wish, we live in Ireland not Russia.
    People usually drive the car they can afford. If you can't afford it then... well i'm sure that college education will help you work it out. :D
    The point I was making was that the road tax we are currently paying as a nation is not going towards the upkeep and maintenance of roads which is the whole point of road tax in the first place. Maybe downsize shouldn't be the question, why do the irish public continually put up with this kind of rubbish from our governments should be question.
    One guy complaining on boards won't change anything. Somehow I have a lack of sympathy for your plight.
    A discussion for politics but I think it was already well said;
    Such is the country we live in, but of course the people get the government they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This thread went off topic pretty fast.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I deeply despise paying the motor tax (600 on my 1.8 diesel) as i work in Athlone, so pay €20 in tolls every week. So i pay 600 road tax, and effectively €1k more road tax.

And dont anyone dare say "Move to Athlone".

Don't pay the tolls and use the old road which taxes did pay for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Understandably having a full license is not a sign of competance, however I'd still love to see more Garda check-points checking for them. Otherwise what incentive is there to try to prove your competance? As for the way the thread went, I'm trying to get it back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think the driving test is alright.

True there's plenty of people out there with full licences that aren't good drivers, but the practical isn't exactly easy to pass - far easier to decry it as insufficient from the viewpoint of someone who's already gone through it. Who amongst us would be willing to be retested this afternoon and if we failed have our license taken away?

I think the main problem isn't the fact that the test isn't good enough, but rather that people don't care enough once they've passed it. It's all too easy to fall into bad habits or not pay enough attention - I see it every time I drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Xiney wrote: »
    I think the driving test is alright.

True there's plenty of people out there with full licences that aren't good drivers, but the practical isn't exactly easy to pass - far easier to decry it as insufficient from the viewpoint of someone who's already gone through it. Who amongst us would be willing to be retested this afternoon and if we failed have our license taken away?

I think the main problem isn't the fact that the test isn't good enough, but rather that people don't care enough once they've passed it. It's all too easy to fall into bad habits or not pay enough attention - I see it every time I drive.
    I would happily resit it on that basis. driving lessons teach you how you have to drive to pass the test and then 47% of people can't even follow the instructions for the 20mins or so of the test.

I think the problem is with the people and not the test. As crap and all as the test as is.

We should also have to resit the test every 7-10 years

Advertisement