Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords provide Dryers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

surprised at all the comments about Ireland being backwards...renting in the uk and don't have a dryer and none of the places we looked at had one. If you've ever rented in the US you'll find most apartments and alot of houses there don't have washing machines let alone dryers. Lived on a the 5th floor of a block in New York with no lift and had to drag washing done to the basement wash room which was always flooding and full of roaches and other people left in a state which was still a step up from the next place in Queens were I has to walk 8 blocks to get clothes washed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

planetX wrote: »
    ...I dry clothes on the radiators - and yes, it makes the house mouldy.....

No it doesn't. Either theres a problem with a leak/damp or the house/room is not ventilated properly. Which is why mould may only occur with some tenants and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Think about a dishwasher in the future too. Hell would freeze over before I'd rent a property without one. With the glut of rentals flooding the market you need to add as much value to your product as possible.

I'm the exact opposite - have had dishwashers in the last three places I've lived and have NEVER used one of them, never will. I would much rather more cupboard space!

I wouldn'r mind a combi washer/dryer - just to get the sheets/towels started off drying in the Winter - but it's not essential at all. Clothes horses work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I provide dryers, lawn mowers, good quality hoovers, sweeping brushes, mops etc it is my interest that the house is well maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

BostonB wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Either theres a problem with a leak/damp or the house/room is not ventilated properly. Which is why mould may only occur with some tenants and not others.

Def no problem with ventilation in this house - don't even need the windows open for a lovely draughty breeze. Damp is inevitable in an old house and this climate. Drying clothes without a dryer is a terrible problem, especially if you have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

No real need for a dryer, in relation to the regulations even if no clothes line, a clothes horse inside provides drying facilities.
    I do agree its a nice thing to have and would make property more rentable but if you can't afford it then don't worry about it.

One thing to consider too, not sure if you bills are included in rent or not, if not fair enough, if they are and you get a dryer you'd need to consider increasing rent to cover the extra electricity used.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thanks folks for all the input.

I have decided that is a good idea in terms of dampness as well as tenant satisfaction to put one into the house. However I have told my tenants that it would be closer to winter/autumn before I would do it.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If the landlord does provide a dryer, does it have to be in working order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Oink wrote: »
    Honestly, in this day and age, who does not provide a freezer and a dryer?

Quite a few actually. Most places just have a washing line out the back.
    A lot of places, especially in Dublin, still don't have a washing machine, or have a communal room with one banjaxed one in it.

They are fairly expensive to run and very inefficient anyway. A washer dryer is not uncommon but I've rarely found one that worked effectively.

As for freezers, they do usually have them but normally again they are very poor quality low end models and often far short of the capacity that the place is designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    Sure that could mean a clothes horse and not a dryer.
    But in the interest of damp prevention a dryer would be good.

in the actual act (not the interpretation which is what was quoted above) it explicitly states that a dryer must be provided if the house doesn't have its own garden.
    Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive
    use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Have to agree with many here - if you just don't have the money and the property has a garden with a clothes line, then that should be sufficient. Does the property have a shed? If so, consider putting up a line or two in it so they can hang clothes in that if weather is bad - or they can put a clothes horse in there.

If you do have the money or come across a drier (even one second-hand), get it at some point. Tenants will probably end up drying clothes indoors or on rads which becomes a bigger issue in the end.

I do agree that if you have good tenants, then you want to keep em happy, but we all have to draw the line somewhere. Good luck.

Advertisement