Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital camera repair course help :)

Options
  • 04-06-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im starting a digital camera repair course run by SPT in America and due to the nature of the course i need donor broken equipment to examine/repair.

Just out on a limb here wondering first does anyone know a good source that would either donate or sell modern broken equipment (DSLRs,lenses) that I could repair/examine?
    And secondly does anyone have broken bodies or lenses that they would be willing to donate or be compensated for so I can get experience and knowledge from.

Any body or lenses would help and i will need alot of broken stuff to get a wide base of experience from (Canon and Nikon mainly).

(mods: not sure if im allowed to ask this but if not then please remove the second part)

Thanks all in advance and im really looking forward to getting the formal training to do what i love doing :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

local charity shops...... ebay ..... adverts..... camera clubs .... erm....cant think of any more off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

PCPhoto wrote: »
    local charity shops...... ebay ..... adverts..... camera clubs .... erm....cant think of any more off the top of my head.

Thanks for that, didnt think of camera clubs or charity shops.
    ebay has kind of died a little on the faulty camera side, too random and expensive there to just mess around with. got a few things there which was nice although nothing great at the moment :(
    adverts might be nice although hardly anyone looks in the wanted section it seems.

If you know anyone with broken stuff do pass the word as i need all the stuff i can get cheers.

Thanks for the extra ideas! I appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have broken stuff .... but its all worth a couple of grand (even broken) ...I'd rather wait till after you complete the course and are confident enough to take the task on.

how long does the course take ? would be interested in doing a similar course...if it was available in Ireland.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have broken stuff .... but its all worth a couple of grand (even broken) ...I'd rather wait till after you complete the course and are confident enough to take the task on.

how long does the course take ? would be interested in doing a similar course...if it was available in Ireland.

Ah I see, you want to PM me what you have thats broken out of curiosity?
    Ive been repairing random stuff for years (computers,laptops, random mechanical and electrical things spanning from stereos, cd walkmen, PS2's to xbox 360's and PSP's). I took up photography last year so i started doing stuff with bodies and lenses so its mainly been a transition to photography that im learning and there is so much diversity that i decided to get formal training and further myself if you get me.

Im confident that I can at least dismantle correctly and diagnose problems without destroying the equipment as I have a good problem solving ability and have been pretty handy for far.
    I want to do more then just open friends cameras etc... though so really the more expensive equipment is a step up in learning as the mechanics are also more complex etc...

the course is a distance learning one with 19 lessons each costing $190 so its not cheap but unfortunately the only one there is in the world and ive looked pretty hard ;)
    There is no set time limit but there are examinations and practicals that you must complete.
    I can pass on the info to you if you like?
    there is also of course manufacturer training but that would be a different story as you have to work for the manufacturer etc...

I love fixing things and I am entirely self taught so far so the bigger the challenge the better :)

Thanks again for the reply
    Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

adverts.ie has broken cameras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Ah I see, you want to PM me what you have thats broken out of curiosity?
    Ive been repairing random stuff for years (computers,laptops, random mechanical and electrical things spanning from stereos, cd walkmen, PS2's to xbox 360's and PSP's). I took up photography last year so i started doing stuff with bodies and lenses so its mainly been a transition to photography that im learning and there is so much diversity that i decided to get formal training and further myself if you get me.

Im confident that I can at least dismantle correctly and diagnose problems without destroying the equipment as I have a good problem solving ability and have been pretty handy for far.
    I want to do more then just open friends cameras etc... though so really the more expensive equipment is a step up in learning as the mechanics are also more complex etc...

the course is a distance learning one with 19 lessons each costing $190 so its not cheap but unfortunately the only one there is in the world and ive looked pretty hard ;)
    There is no set time limit but there are examinations and practicals that you must complete.
    I can pass on the info to you if you like?
    there is also of course manufacturer training but that would be a different story as you have to work for the manufacturer etc...

I love fixing things and I am entirely self taught so far so the bigger the challenge the better :)

Thanks again for the reply
    Eoghan

I'd be interested in this course too...can you pm me the details. I'm generally handy with my hands, from building/repairing laptops,computers,household electronics right through to restoring classic cars. :)

@ PCPhoto...don't suppose you've a handily repairable nikon 300mm f2.8 among that lot? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why not pop into the odd electrical shop OP. They get stuff given to them as part of the WEE regulations. Leave them a card, phone number, email address. You'd be surprised how often they take this stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've a borked* 15mm Canon EOS mount that's out of warranty... but I'd like it back fixed ;)

*internal elements are knocked out of place.

If you fancy making a few bob, let me know when you're confident enough to give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It might be worth trying the local civic amenity site to you where electrical stuff gets taken (since you're not allowed put it in general waste). Ask if you can put up a notice looking for broken camera equipment.

That's where mine was destined before you came knocking.

Cheers for all the suggestions people :)

@youllneverknow: Thanks, Ive taken a look there regularly and I got a broken 50mm f/1.8 over a week ago but apart from that there isnt really anything there that ive seen.

@Kintarō; Hattori: Thats a great suggestion thanks, what type of shops do you mean? like powercity,currys etc...?

@Calina: Cheers I wouldnt have thought of that, Ill take a look there definitely.

Thanks again everyone and keep em coming :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement