Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain dropping

• 04-06-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

My chain is constantly dropping off the small ring. Its not just when going from big to small. In fact it rarely happens then. Take yesterday for eg. 3 times it dropped. All 3 when I was just spinning and off it came.Am at the stage where I am running the mech really close to the chain to act as some sort of guide. Its a band on mech so rules out most chain guides.I know my cranset is skightly damaged but it happened before I damaged it so sorts of rules that out!
    Thoughts/ Advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Check for bent chainring teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

This works with band on derailleurs assuming its a round seat tube.

www.slanecycles.com/deda-elementi-dog-fang-p-849.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bcmf wrote: »
    My chain is constantly dropping off the small ring. Its not just when going from big to small. In fact it rarely happens then. Take yesterday for eg. 3 times it dropped. All 3 when I was just spinning and off it came.Am at the stage where I am running the mech really close to the chain to act as some sort of guide. Its a band on mech so rules out most chain guides.I know my cranset is skightly damaged but it happened before I damaged it so sorts of rules that out!
    Thoughts/ Advice.

Lower screw needs adjusting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lumen wrote: »
    Check for bent chainring teeth.
    All teeth seem 100%. Thinking about it...it only seems to happen up towards the inside of the cassette ie 17 -19-21 etc

tunney wrote: »
    Lower screw needs adjusting?
    As in the limiter screw for going onto small ring?

Cheers Murph.

• Advertisement

Yup, sets the max inboard limit for the FD.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

As in the limiter screw for going onto small ring?

Cheers Murph.

De Nada, had it on my last frame, worked a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

This can happen if there is a damaged link in your chain.

Brand new chain.
    I readjusted the FD so its just barely clearingthe chain on the 39/21.Hopefully that does it till I get that dog fang

ON that Park link there is a bit about FD alignment which is the best I've seen anywhere, so that might be worth checking just to rule it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The Dog Fang is just ok.

Much better: N-Gear Jump-Stop.

• Advertisement

@ Murph it seems like the FD was way too far down. Will find out whether it solved it either tomorrow or Sun.

@ Dave Thanks Will ordereone on your recomenndation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Brand new chain.
    I readjusted the FD so its just barely clearingthe chain on the 39/21.Hopefully that does it till I get that dog fang

If you are still having the problem, check the link which you used to join the two ends of your new chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

If the above don't solve it, check BB is tight and check rings for warping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

ShowAndGo wrote: »
    This can happen if there is a damaged link in your chain.
    ShowAndGo could still be right.
    Even with a new chain it can be a link - particularly if the chain wasn't joined perfectly. Did it happen with your old chain?

It dropped 2wice on Sun..It didnt seem to be a problem with the old chain.Dont remember it dropping anyway!!!!! I remember it dropping on my old bike with the same cranks and BB but when I was running shimano!!!
    Must be time to change crankset.

Was gonna order the NGear chain keeper thing for the mo on Dave's reccomendation so if anyone else is interested may get some sort of group buy up and running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume you've tried just running the cranks backwards and examining the contact with the chainring to find out if it's hopping off somewhere specific...?

yeah. Have run it forward and backward. Doesnt seem to be totally 'complete' when running on the top 3 sprockets. The chainline seems straight and there is no movement or 'buckle' when its moving. mmmmm wondering is it a slight incompatability with Mavic chain and Raceface cranks

edit:I may have found the prob!!! one of the joints where the bolt has goes thru has snapped. It had snapped before and I thought I had rejoined it but it has broken again and I can push that part of the rings with my finger so I would imagine that it would move quite a bit when I push down with my feet and the chainline is at that point where it needs very little encouragement to drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

bcmf

ill order one of those yolks with you

ill mention it to my brother and Fran Oconnor from the site here

bcmf

ill order one of those yolks with you

ill mention it to my brother and Fran Oconnor from the site here
    OK,. I emailed the guy so am waiting on a reply. I will prob need your front mech band diameter.

I have had no reply to the e-mail. I will double check e-mail addy and try again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement