Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work ok?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey, i'm kinda out of touch when it comes to computer parts these days, I plan on playing fps game and doing some video editing. plus i need to run software such as auto CAD and Buildsoft, for college/work.

would this build work basically i want to know :P

Also just wondering am i missing anything?

5czs9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

- If the i7-920 is a lot cheaper than its big brother I'd go for it instead, most stock should be D0 by now.
    - For LGA1366 you need triple-channel DDR3. 6GB would be perfect for this build and a fair whack cheaper than that 8GB kit you have listed.
    - Not sure about HDD choice, IMHO one or two Samsung F3 1GB drives would be better.
    - Really not sure about those graphics cards, they're very pricey for HD5850s and the extra GDDR5 may never be fully utilized anyway. You could save €140 here by getting standard HD5850s (not sure if you save that much getting one HD5970) instead and probably see no difference in performance.
    - That PSU is overspecified and horrifyingly overpriced. A good 750W model should be mroe than enough, and you should be paying about half as much for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 its.my.escape

Solitaire wrote: »
    - If the i7-920 is a lot cheaper than its big brother I'd go for it instead, most stock should be D0 by now.
    - For LGA1366 you need triple-channel DDR3. 6GB would be perfect for this build and a fair whack cheaper than that 8GB kit you have listed.
    - Not sure about HDD choice, IMHO one or two Samsung F3 1GB drives would be better.
    - Really not sure about those graphics cards, they're very pricey for HD5850s and the extra GDDR5 may never be fully utilized anyway. You could save €140 here by getting standard HD5850s (not sure if you save that much getting one HD5970) instead and probably see no difference in performance.
    - That PSU is overspecified and horrifyingly overpriced. A good 750W model should be mroe than enough, and you should be paying about half as much for one!

The 2 programs i use for work use a lot of Ram, both have around 2-3gig requirement each and i need to have them both running aswell as other things like word and excel. so that's why i chose 8gigs.

As for the PSU would 750W be enough to run both cards, I intend to do a some over clocking but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 its.my.escape

Everything else ok with this layout?

really just the PSU that needs to be changed

• Advertisement
Advertisement