Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer/foitball tips

• 04-06-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Galway Uniyrd game tonight, first time shooting football. The club said it's okay to take pictures. Any tips?
    Stand by goal line to get players approaching me
    raise ISO
    continuous burst
    tracking auto ficus
    I'll post up sine pics over the weekend.

Thanks
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm going to Galway Uniyrd game tonight, first time shooting football. The club said it's okay to take pictures. Any tips?
    Stand by goal line to get players approaching me
    raise ISO
    continuous burst
    tracking auto ficus
    I'll post up sine pics over the weekend.

Thanks
    Patrick.

First of all good luck at the game ,weather great so no need for rain gear,what sort of gear you using ,the answer to that will give others an idea and be able to provide you with help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Are you pitchside or behind the advertising hoardings? No harm being behind the hoardings down there (bar the height), the pitch is very tight at Terryland.

It should be pretty bright, so don't go mad on the ISO trying to get really fast shutter speeds. 1/400-1/500 should give you perfectly good results.

Plus don't try and capture everything on the far side or the far end of the pitch. Concentrate on the action coming towards you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228084

Always bring rain gear. Even in the summer is gets cold and damp, especially sitting on the grass.

Start with ISO 800 or so, and a shutter speed of 1/400 or faster. Shoot as open as you can (f/2.8) and shoot in short bursts.

Get as low as you can - sit, kneel on the grass.

Shoot what is close to you.

In PP, crop down tight on to the action.

Have fun, and post some picts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'll be behind the advertising boards (they said pros only on the pitch)
    I have a Pentax K-X and 55-300 kit lens. So won't be able to shoot at 2.8..
    I'm not expecting anything great but it's always fun to try some new types of shots out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if its possible .... change your focus to servo (instead of one shot) .... also shoot in bursts (if you can)

I dont know much about your camera...but there should be enough light to get decent enough pics .... if I was you I would sit on the sideline ....... maybe paralell to the edge of the box (not the side the assistant ref (Linesman) will be running ...but the other side)

if you sit on the side and have flexibility of a zoom you can also try get pics of throw ins close to you (players controlling the ball, or even tackles close to the line knocking the ball out) as well as celebrations running towards you...and players running down the line....plenty of options !!

Best of luck.

As Paul said.... shoot from a low position, and for the start of the game do test shots (or even before the game starts)... figure out what settings to use depending on the light available to you.... pick a place on the pitch (your team attacking) ... and then switch (if you want to ) at half-time.

if you think the angle isnt right...dont be afraid to move while the game is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

My conclusion-
    really need something like 70-200 f2.8 lens to get blurred background....

Found it hard to get the action as well without something being in the way- fair play to everyone who has gotten good shots, I respect your skills more now.
    Here's a selection of my not so good bunch
    4669963121_79a83231c3.jpg

2. warm up
    4669962937_29bddd93c8_b.jpg

3. One on one (keeper saved it)
    4670589924_116c9037f9_b.jpg

4. He's getting away
    4669962311_641b6dbb13_b.jpg

5. What will we do (pic is dull)
    4669958711_dde3390c41.jpg

6. Let's break his legs (if this was sharper it'd be good/funny)
    4669958629_c4c845a993_b.jpg

7. Catch me if you can
    4669958511_3a735bb23f_b.jpg

8. my fav one...
    4669957595_ce3caaeb33_b.jpg

9. there has to be a funny title for this...
    4670584636_bc5a911f21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

decent enough set .... did you get any goal celebrations ? (there was plenty of goals !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Decent enough for a first time effort. The fake DOF in 3 is really poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What the hell is the #14 doing in picture 4 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

hes number 14 and hes walking like mr. bean lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not bad. :)

Advertisement