If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Speaker Cable and switching.

Options
  • 04-06-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

John!!!:eek: Can't believe it!:eek: Had a birthday recently:cool: and I got a gift I never dreamed that I would get!:o A pair of Bose Free space 51 outdoor speakers:D

As I never dreamed of getting something such as this..... I haven't installed any cableways outside. So, I have to drill holes, dig trenches, break a footpath and generally wreck the place to get cables out to them.

My question is, what speaker cable should I use between the 51's and the fine Denon M37DAB I got off you last year? The cable will need to be capable of being buried in ducting but will need to be moisture resistant. It may also have to run in the same duct as mains voltage cables. The cables to each speaker will be in excess of 20m. Bose suggest 3.3mm cable to them up to a distance of 24m.

Secondly, I would like to install a simple switch so that I can either have the speakers inside or outside on and if the Denon can handle it, both simultaneously. The internal and external speakers are rate 4-8 ohms and both suitable for amps rated at 10-100w per channel. Can the Denon do this?

Can you please advise? Much appreciated. Now where is my pick-axe??

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi RGMR2.

The Denon is really only designed to run one set of speakers :(

I dare say the Denon could cope with both sets running at the same time but its not recommended.

We have the QED SS20 speaker switcher which is priced at £49.95

There are amps that have speaker A and B switching built in but this would involve you changing the Denon and buying a new amp and CD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RGMR2

Thanks Kenny. I'll take a look at the QED. Any thought on the cable?

Many Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

RGMR2 wrote: »
    Thanks Kenny. I'll take a look at the QED. Any thought on the cable?

Many Thanks.

RG,

hows it going - did not expect that we would be chatting again so soon! :D

Anyway - on the cable front - we don't sell any specific speaker cable for outdoor use - however my recommendation would be to lay a narrow gauge wavin pipe and pop some Gale Symphony 100 into it - this is excellent and inexpensive cable and if you leave a bit over in case of oxidisation it will serve you well for many years - I cannot see from the Bose website if the 51's have a captive cable coming out of the speaker (it looks kind of that way) or if they have a more normal set of protective binding posts - but if it is a captive cable and you have to join it to speaker cable I would recommend getting a small waterproof electrical enclosure or at a very miminum using self amalgamating tape to ensure the connections don't allow water ingress.

Thanks again and keep us posted - we have the SS20 switches in stock if you need one pronto,

ATB and happy barbies,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RGMR2

Thanks John. Can you advise what cross sectional area that Gael Symphony 100 cable is? Can't see it on the website.

Cheers very much.

RGMR2 (not sitting the leaving cert:D)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.