Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gear advice

• 04-06-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

hi all

im looking to get some diving gear. i have a wetsuit but need everything else... mask, snorkel, regulator, bcd, fins etc. i met a fella who advised me to go to a diving conference in england to get rock bottom prices. has anyone done this? otherwise, where is the best place in the republic to get good deals on scuba gear.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 galloway.jimmy@

Go to a good dive shop it also depends how much you want to spend you will need booties / fins and what are you expecting from diving ie how far do you want to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

im planning to go to thailand to do my divemaster, hopefully after the summer. i did the advanced open water there a few months ago. id like to be able to travel the world and be able to work, australia, west coast usa, carribean etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Hey Tomas,

personally I travelled (including a Thailand DM) with a mask, a computer and a regulator.

A properly fitting mask that you are happy with is a must. There's nothing more annoying than a hire mask that leaks or gives you headaches.

A computer is less so, I prefer to have my own as I'm sure of it, know how it behaves (how the deco modelling works). Also if you're doing a DM you'll be doing a shed-load of diving, so your own computer will be very beneficial in ensuring you don't over-do it.

A reg. Well I wouldn't breathe out of anybody else's reg unless I had to. Who knows what maltreatment it's been given. The amount of eejit's I've seen blowing water into a first stage is ridiculous!

RE working after a DM, you'll find it very difficult in the bigger resort areas to get paid work as a DM, there's just too many people willing to work for dives. But you might strike it lucky. Keep an eye on PADI's job site.

RE buying equipment, you can buy online, but for a mask or even a reg, I'd recommend supporting your local dive shop.

Hope that's some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

If you want good value and good quality equipment have a look at www.first4scuba.com . Their prices are service is great. There are based in Arklow Co. Wicklow but can ship to you easily for a good price. They are also a padi training centre.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

If your doing your DM in thailand you could buy the gear over there, it's been a while since I was over but the prices were reasonable and if you get to know an instructor (which is inevitable) you will be able to avail of their instructor discount.

That way you will avoid the grief of flying over with full kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I've gone to three of four dive conferences and the prices are only marginally cheaper than the webshop prices. So if its to save yourself money then you won't succeed by the time you factor in your expenses!

However the shows are good to get your hands on a lot of gear at the same time.

Advertisement