Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Method for studying English

Options
  • 04-06-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have the vast majority of my revision done for most subjects but really feel as if I am lagging behind in English!
    How do you people study it?
    Read notes?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Write out answers using the books. Then learn off the main points of those answers aswell as the quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Most of English revolves around learning quotes anyway, so I just learn off my quotes, and talk around the point that goes with it. I speak out loud to myself to help me remember.
    Really though, once you get the quotes down it's all easy sailing from there on!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I take my essays that I've done for each poet or whatever and put them into bullet points, and then learn it off section by section. I then give myself like 50 minutes, take a question out of the papers/sample papers, do the question, and then try and do it again a few days later to make sure you've retained it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TurkishNeon

AllInOne wrote: »
    Most of English revolves around learning quotes anyway, so I just learn off my quotes, and talk around the point that goes with it. I speak out loud to myself to help me remember.
    Really though, once you get the quotes down it's all easy sailing from there on!

Do you need to learn quotes for the Comparative??

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

I walk around my room/the house saying the quotes aloud. My family think that I've lost the plot but that's the only way I learn!
    My teacher said that you do need quotes fir the comparative. Oh, and if one of your texts is a comparative you'll need a few stage directions too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Do you need to learn quotes for the Comparative??

As far as I can remember (open to correction on this one) quotes are only necessary when discussing plays you've studied, so if you did a play for comparative, then make sure you know quotes from that.

Quotes from novels and films aren't strictly necessary as far as I know, but obviously knowing some anyways is sure to impress the examiner!

One tip I'd recommend for English is actually practising writing paragraphs - for example, composing the opening of an essay or writing something short on a certain poem. Practise really helps improve your writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

I walk around my room/the house saying the quotes aloud. My family think that I've lost the plot but that's the only way I learn!
    My teacher said that you do need quotes fir the comparative. Oh, and if one of your texts is a comparative you'll need a few stage directions too!

Stage directions? What do you mean? :confused:

BarbiePink wrote: »
    Stage directions? What do you mean? :confused:

For example, in The Playboy of the Western World, Christy enters "gnawing on a turnip"

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I just do sample question and then learnb off quotes and different topics to talk about in each paragraph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I learned all of W.B Yeats' poems in the last week. I can recite them off by heart. If you need to learn something in English its simple. Just write out the quotes again and again and again and say them out loud while your doing it. It might be alot of work but its extremely effective. I'm already halfway through my Lear revision, just learned off 3 essays I prepared and now moving onto key quotes.

Poetry - Write out key lines in the poem and learn them off by heart, the notes should come naturally if payed any sort of attention in class.
    Shakespeare - Learn whatever you can about character development. Thats a must.
    Comparative - This is actually harder. It will come down mostly to waffle. I advise you to learn essays since its the most helpful thing.

Paper 1 is basically up to you. Try to learn the following for the unseen poetry = S.L.I.T.S (Shape, Language, Imagery, Theme, Style). Follow those steps 1 by 1 when answering on the unseen and you will get most of the marks.
    Comprehensions are basically piss. The easiest thing on the course and just requires common sense. The written essay is also completely up to you.

Try to put your own personal input into your answers. They like seeing that you can think for yourself and will most likely get you a few marks aswell.

I'm taking the honours paper and trust me, it isn't that hard if you just put a little time and effort into it. English is a hard subject at times so don't be disappointed if you only manage a C or B. Its still a good mark.

All the best mate. Oh and my 18th birthday is on June 10th, so I'l be getting English paper 2 as a nice little present that day lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

Jamiekelly wrote: »

I'm taking the honours paper and trust me, it isn't that hard if you just put a little time and effort into it. English is a hard subject at times so don't be disappointed if you only manage a C or B. Its still a good mark.

I agree but then again anything less than a C is carelessness. :(

Advertisement