Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and extra income?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone.

Do any of you on Disability Allowance do any supplementary freelance work or education?

I've been on DA for 8 years, since becoming ill with ME/CFS. My health has been improving of late, but I still have bad days and bad patches lasting weeks at a time, so I would not want to risk losing my DA until (hopefully) my health reaches a more consistent level.

I've been considering going back to part-time work or training, or indeed setting up some freelance work.

One interesting option is Internet Marketing, but many of the Affiliate Networks need tax/vat details from me.

I was looking at the citizens information site here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-and-work/disability-payments-and-work

... and I rang citizens information, and I think I might be even more confused now!

As far as I know, I can earn up to 120 without it affecting my DA, and above that point, my DA would be reduced incrementally.

But I'm not sure about tax and vat details. The girl on the phone said I would have to contact revenue to get a vat number, and then contact social welfare and let them know Im returning to work, even if its only freelance stuff.

I'm finding the whole process overwhelming.

Maybe someone here does some freelance/sole trade work to supplement their DA and could give me some pointers. My biggest concern is losing my DA as I would not like to go through the application process ever again!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, you'll need the vat/tax number of the employer, though I guess that's your own if you're freelancing? I had to get my employer's. You'll have to write the Dept in Longford, I think it is. You'll probably need a letter from your GP saying that working is good for your health/basically supportive for you. You'd probably have to include a payslip or two as well.

Once I got on to the Dept they wrote back within 3-4 weeks.

No, I wouldn't like to go through the whole process again, either.

Advertisement