Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Chat: Part 2

Options
  • 04-06-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

So with the 4G iPhone gaining a front facing camera and a few Android phones are being released with Video Chat capabilities, do you think 2011 will be the year Video Chat will make a serious comeback and will actually be a practical feature?

We now have better data bundles and prices set by Network Providers, although much more improvement needs to be made. But in comparison to say 5 years ago when 3G phones were being released in Ireland, we have better 3G coverage now and cheaper rates.

We now also have Applications from the likes of Skype and Fring that offer free/cheap Video Calls to and from Mobile Devices.

I think that it will be a feature more people will eventually use. It will start with the iPhone and its Video Chat feature, and that will lead more manufacturers such as HTC and Nokia to include the feature into more their devices. And as the technology comes more popular, Networks will start to improve their infrastructure and rates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

No doubt iPhone users will make it popular amongst themselves, which will in turn lead other manufacturers and developers to take a "me too" approach, but it still is a useless feature where you end up looking up someone's nose as opposed to looking at them face-on.

The one area where video calling should have taken off was in the home, but that has yet to become a reality; if it ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pffft, us n900 owners have had Skype video calling for over two weeks now. :D

I don't know, I tried it out and it was, well, crap on the small screen. If it didn't take off on mass-market 3G mobile phones, I can't see it taking off on smartphones.

Then again, the iPhone has the been known to set a few trends.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Fring on Android has video calling over wifi and stuff, anyone give that a go yet?

Advertisement