Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molson Canadian

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I was talking to an Molson-Coors rep a few weeks ago and they said the plan was to push the stuff they have big production capabilities of right now so Bluemoon and Canadian are getting the guts of the marketing budget, but once Fran Well move to their new brew house he reckons that the company will be making a big effort to push Rebel Red and Shandon Stout and that Shandon Export will be marketed heavily in the US and Canada.

I hope that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Seaneh wrote: »
    I was talking to an Molson-Coors rep a few weeks ago and they said the plan was to push the stuff they have big production capabilities of right now so Bluemoon and Canadian are getting the guts of the marketing budget, but once Fran Well move to their new brew house he reckons that the company will be making a big effort to push Rebel Red and Shandon Stout and that Shandon Export will be marketed heavily in the US and Canada.

I hope that happens.

What other drinks are they behind?

For the record, I think it's piss poor form by Beoir to remove the FW stuff from their app, extremely short sighted and petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

For the record, I think it's piss poor form by Beoir to remove the FW stuff from their app, extremely short sighted and petty.

Not at all. It's entirely objective. Beoir raises awareness of small breweries as defined by legislation in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Not at all. It's entirely objective. Beoir raises awareness of small breweries as defined by legislation in Ireland.

Well, Fran Well are still a micro brewery, they haven't moved to their new place yet.

But I dunno how I feel about it to be honest.

Fran Well are about to be the subject of a multimillion pound marketing campaign in Ireland and the UK, funded by their owners, one of the biggest macro conglomerates in the world. They don't need beoir and to be honest, continuing to use Beoir's time and effort to promote them is a bit silly, they are beyond that now. Even if Shane is still running the show, they have surpassed, or will very soon, what beoir can do for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had a pint of this when i went for dinner in the local. wasn't expecting anything, regular punters will lap it up though as it's pretty much like budweiser but perhaps cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

its being sold in Eurospar in Kildare atm, so assuming its nationwide!might try it for my Saturday tipple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tried the molson canadian the other week, very watery and insipid, crap

is Labatt still available in ireland? havnt seen it in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Worst beer I've tasted in a while, one of my mates suggested it, he likes his Hardcore IPA so I was expecting something good, tasted like nothing. Absolute pisswater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Giblet wrote: »
    Worst beer I've tasted in a while, tasted like nothing.

With the correct marketing it will probably sell well so. Look at Coors Water, I mean Light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

tried the molson canadian the other week, very watery and insipid, crap

is Labatt still available in ireland? havnt seen it in ages

The funniest part of Molson's advertising campaign for the Canadian brand is their catchphrase "from our land to yours"! And there's a picture of snow covered mountains and pine trees - I must have missed these the last time I passed through Burton on Trent in the train :D

Regarding Labatts, C&C bought out InBev's beer division in Ireland around 2009. They discontinued Labatt Ice in favour of promoting InBev's premium brands such as Tennents and Stella. That would be the same Tennents that offies/pubs couldn't even give away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

Molson tastes much nicer here in Canada than the Molson they have launched back in Ireland. Its probably cos its brewed somewhere else.

Only here a month and its my choice of beer here, its fairly popular here and it seems to get me alot drunker than other beers which also helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    Molson tastes much nicer here in Canada than the Molson they have launched back in Ireland. Its probably cos its brewed somewhere else.

It's not meant to be an exquisite, quality beer in Canada either though. You can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's not meant to be an exquisite, quality beer in Canada either though. You can do better.

Its fine for me, it does the job and its only $3 a can in our local during the playoffs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Sunshine87 wrote: »

Only here a month and its my choice of beer here, its fairly popular here and it seems to get me alot drunker than other beers which also helps!

I had it in Canada last September and thought it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The alcohol percentage in canada is 6. something i think compared to 4% here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Had it last weekend from bottles and thought it was flavourless. Like the Eastern European beer for a €1 a can is more pleasant than it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Tried a sup of this recently. Did nothing for me. I'd imagine it will disappear soon enough. It was >€5 iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Bland and Tasteless, if Coors and Bud got drunk one night, their love-child would be called Molson.

Zywiec - now there's a nice beer

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭lamoss

Tried it on tap last week; good colour and head, came up in a nice glass, but was let down by lack of flavour and watery overall taste.

If they brewed it a bit stronger it would have given Bud, carlesburg and the rest a bit of serious competition. A lost chance IMO. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

I tried this bottled and thought it was quite nice, have yet to try it draught though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Very flavourless and watery. Reminded me of a watered down version of Jupiler, if you've ever had that. It had that twang to it.

It wasn't cheap either. Won't be buying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

I heard some mates talking very highly about this, so had to try a bottle, and like most here I agree that it's terrible.

I honestly thought it was the most flavorless beer I've ever drank. Bud like, but with even less flavor.

It baffles me that some people think it's a great beer. I even heard a mate say that he was going to stock up on it because he thought that there would be a price increase because it's so good, and has such a high demand. The power of marketing is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. Tried it. It was....... yellow. With a frothy white bit on top. Fitted perfectly in a glass.

Right. That's the positives dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Its ok, wont be buying it again as its expensive for what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tried a few cans of it yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, especially after the uninspiring advertising and cries on this thread comparing it to Budweiser. I was pleasantly surprised though. Oh, it won't set the world alight, it's a pretty non-threatening beer with little ambition, but it's definitely nicer than Bud. It actually does have a nice little flavour to it (not much, granted, but still enough), it went down well, not too fizzy, no nasty aftertastes, no hangovers...

I'd probably not choose it over a nice German pilsner if the prices were similar, but I'd certainly not turn it down if someone bought it for me, and as a result I had really quite an excellent Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

Tiz a big waste of time. No Taste, WAY too pricey. its a €3.50 a pint material at best. Then I might consider changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm trying this for the first time, from a couple of cans. Maybe it's because I've been drinking German beers more often than not, but Canadian seems to me to contain something else that shouldn't be in there - glycerine, I suspect. This is not a "premium" beer, in my opinion. If I'm going to drink Canadian beer, I'll stick to Moosehead, eh?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

grenache wrote: »
    The funniest part of Molson's advertising campaign for the Canadian brand is their catchphrase "from our land to yours"! And there's a picture of snow covered mountains and pine trees - I must have missed these the last time I passed through Burton on Trent in the train :D

Regarding Labatts, C&C bought out InBev's beer division in Ireland around 2009. They discontinued Labatt Ice in favour of promoting InBev's premium brands such as Tennents and Stella. That would be the same Tennents that offies/pubs couldn't even give away!
    i remember labatts ice being good value and pretty drinkable so thats a shame.
    Tennents is pure piss, dont know a soul who would drink it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭squonk

I had a can yesterday evening. We'd been in the Salt House and came out, planning to wander over to the river and we didn't have a bottle opener so had to make do with cans. I wasn't expecting much so maybe that's why I was surprised. It wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting. I think it was a step up on Bud to be honest. It's still a bland enough mass-produced beer but if someone gave me a can I wouldn't be too put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

It's a fairly inoffensive beer, same ilk as the mass produced lagers.
    The smaller breweries in Canada/Western US make great beer.
    I was hooked on the Okanagan 1516.

Advertisement