Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo

Options
  • 04-06-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

As the title says! If you have a dog its something you get very familiar with, a question on its disposal, if we're out walking and dog does his biz, then I bag it, bring it home and dump it in normal black wheelie bin, if the dog dumps in the garden I scoop it up and put it in the compost bin (not the brown wheelie, a proper compost bin in the garden). How do you feel about that? I think its ok to do this but just want another opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Personally I wouldn't put dog poo (or cat poo) in the compost bin. We compost everything we can, including soiled litter from our rabbits, chickens & ducks. To me, the difference is in what they eat. Dogs & cats have (or should have) a meat-based diet & general rule when composting is no meat in the compost bin. I would also imagine it would make your compost bin stink too. Plus we use the compost on our veg beds & wouldn't fancy eating anything that has been dressed with dog or cat poo :eek:

We are lucky to have a bit of land so I usually empty the poo bucket onto one of the boundary ditches & let the weather deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

LisaO wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't put dog poo (or cat poo) in the compost bin. We compost everything we can, including soiled litter from our rabbits, chickens & ducks. To me, the difference is in what they eat. Dogs & cats have (or should have) a meat-based diet & general rule when composting is no meat in the compost bin. I would also imagine it would make your compost bin stink too. Plus we use the compost on our veg beds & wouldn't fancy eating anything that has been dressed with dog or cat poo :eek:

We are lucky to have a bit of land so I usually empty the poo bucket onto one of the boundary ditches & let the weather deal with it.

Thanks for that, I don't have veg growing so not an issue but something WAS niggling in the back of my mind about putting the poo in the compost bin. I think I shall cease and desist;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your methods sound fine to me - but as LisaO said, may not be the best plan putting poo in the compost. I stick it all in the black bin (in poo bags!) - whether picked up on walks or in the garden, all goes in the same place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Out on walks it goes into the closest bin. At home it goes into the brown bin. You can put meat in there, so I reckon meat-based poo should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Your methods sound fine to me - but as LisaO said, may not be the best plan putting poo in the compost. I stick it all in the black bin (in poo bags!) - whether picked up on walks or in the garden, all goes in the same place!
    me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Out for a walk, poo bag, then pop it into the normal bin.
    In the garden i scoop it up and flush it down the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Andrew33 wrote: »
    As the title says! If you have a dog its something you get very familiar with, a question on its disposal, if we're out walking and dog does his biz, then I bag it, bring it home and dump it in normal black wheelie bin, if the dog dumps in the garden I scoop it up and put it in the compost bin (not the brown wheelie, a proper compost bin in the garden). How do you feel about that? I think its ok to do this but just want another opinion.

The compost bin is a good idear. I put my hound cable in with the grass cutting ( i have an area by the dog run) and turn it once a week. Rotts down and becomes one with the grass. No smell either.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I heard you're not meant to put it in the compost bin, but I guess if you're not using the compost for vegetables then it's different.

I just through it in a pile in the corner of the garden behind the hedge, where there are just weeds and stuff. It doesn't smell after a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

kylith wrote: »
    Out on walks it goes into the closest bin. At home it goes into the brown bin. You can put meat in there, so I reckon meat-based poo should be fine.

You're not allowed put poo from meat eaters into the brown bins the councils collect. It's because the bacteria in their guts used to break down the meat can cause problems for us.

I asked an eco garden expert about this very thing - 6 dogs means a lot of poo! - and she reckoned it was perfectly fine to put dog poo in a compost heap as long as the compost isn't used for any veggies or anything edible that grows under the soil. You can use it for flowers and trees and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

I wouldnt put dog poo in the compost bin,dont think it would be very hygeinic.
    as far as when your out walking,I pick it up and dispose of it in the bin.
    usualy meaning i have to carry the poo bag around with me as thier arnt any bins in the park we go for a walk in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement