Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Off Roaming

Options
  • 04-06-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Just got my latest O2 i-phone bill having been away for a couple of days last month, the Data Roaming is extortionate and this also applies to being in Northern Ireland or on the O2 UK network along the border.

I was given the impression that a daily amount of €4.96 applied for data when roaming and even got an email before from them to say it did, however it is that per mb up to four mb per day, therefore €20 incl VAT per day, wasn't at all pleased to get €87 extra on my bill for four days abroad.

Beware using data on O2 in Northern Ireland, UK mainland or on holidays, an internet cafe would be much cheaper.

As far as I know 3 offer no charge when on their network in UK or NI for 3 Customers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I think its a con, I have two identical phones one on vodafone uk and one on vodafone ireland, when at home (lifford) the uk one is on vodafone IE and the ROI one is on vodafone UK.
    I had to take vodafone passport off my uk one as it was charging me 75p everytime i answered the phone, even if only for 5 seconds. without vodaphone passport i only pay 25p per minute.

Could someone confirm that three dont charge for roaming, I would get a usb internet dongle but fear that it would jump networks and cost me a fortune,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I think its a con, I have two identical phones one on vodafone uk and one on vodafone ireland, when at home (lifford) the uk one is on vodafone IE and the ROI one is on vodafone UK.
    I had to take vodafone passport off my uk one as it was charging me 75p everytime i answered the phone, even if only for 5 seconds. without vodaphone passport i only pay 25p per minute.

Could someone confirm that three dont charge for roaming, I would get a usb internet dongle but fear that it would jump networks and cost me a fortune,

On Vodafone IE Passport there is no longer any charge for receiving a call while roaming in UK and the same call rates apply - I think it's been like that for a while. The only difference is texting and that's set to be equalised soon, as far as I know. I know how annoying it is for us border dwellers to find that we've been sending texts merrily and not realised our phones have wandered onto the UK network at a premium charge :mad:

Just got my latest O2 i-phone bill having been away for a couple of days last month, the Data Roaming is extortionate and this also applies to being in Northern Ireland or on the O2 UK network along the border.

I was given the impression that a daily amount of €4.96 applied for data when roaming and even got an email before from them to say it did, however it is that per mb up to four mb per day, therefore €20 incl VAT per day, wasn't at all pleased to get €87 extra on my bill for four days abroad.

Beware using data on O2 in Northern Ireland, UK mainland or on holidays, an internet cafe would be much cheaper.

As far as I know 3 offer no charge when on their network in UK or NI for 3 Customers

There's a new agreement in place (some are already operating it since it came in in March, others are waiting until the last minute on July 1st) whereby you cannot be charged more than €50 for roaming data charges unless you specifically request it. Have a look at the Mobiles & PDAs forum here on Boards for some more info. I would think it's well worth your while to query this bill and mention the new law - mobile operators are screwing enough out of us here in Ireland without digging in the arm for roaming data.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

is it ture with vodafone ireland i-phone packages that when roaming the data allowance come out of your data allowance in your package, so ineffect it does not cost you anything extra, unless you go over your limits

is it ture with vodafone ireland i-phone packages that when roaming the data allowance come out of your data allowance in your package, so ineffect it does not cost you anything extra, unless you go over your limits

From my visits to the Vodafone forum, I think that's correct, as long as you are connecting via Vodafone Live and not Vodafone ISP. But since I don't have an iphone, nor a billpay phone, it might be best to check it out with the reps there to be sure. I have a Nokia N900 - a much better phone IMO ;)
    The one big advantage (apart from superior browsing & specs) is that I can use my N900 to tether with no extra charge, while the iphone has been nobbled to allow Vodafone (and other operators, to be fair) to charge extra, over and above the data package, for no logical reason except that they can :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Roaming bills are RIDICULOUS, I'm with Meteor pay-as-you-go and have been in uni in Spain this year, and for me to call from it it costs 52c p/m and to receive a call it's 23c p/m. Texts thankfully went down last summer from 39c to 13c. Though to be honest, in Ireland we are miles ahead of other countries' networks - my Spanish phone costs me as much to use to contact other Spanish phones while in Spain, as my Irish one does while I'm roaming. That said, UK networks are better again - a friend of mine here in Spain with me is from Enniskillen, he has an O2 pay-as-you-go, and while he's roaming here he can still avail of free calls to other UK numbers, it doesn't cost him anything to receive a call, plus he can go online from his mobile for free (up until a very high cap).
    Evidently, technology still has a fair bit to go.

The Cool wrote: »
    Roaming bills are RIDICULOUS, I'm with Meteor pay-as-you-go and have been in uni in Spain this year, and for me to call from it it costs 52c p/m and to receive a call it's 23c p/m. Texts thankfully went down last summer from 39c to 13c. Though to be honest, in Ireland we are miles ahead of other countries' networks - my Spanish phone costs me as much to use to contact other Spanish phones while in Spain, as my Irish one does while I'm roaming. That said, UK networks are better again - a friend of mine here in Spain with me is from Enniskillen, he has an O2 pay-as-you-go, and while he's roaming here he can still avail of free calls to other UK numbers, it doesn't cost him anything to receive a call, plus he can go online from his mobile for free (up until a very high cap).
    Evidently, technology still has a fair bit to go.

You really need to price around for a better deal - there ARE much better deals available. For example, on Vodafone Passport (and I have nothing to do with that network except that I use it) it costs 79c to receive a call from home, no matter what length it is, and the same cost as it is at home to make one home (cheapest plan is 19c per min).
    Webtexts cost nothing with all of the operators, and I'm sure you have access to the Internet at uni? And what about Skype? No charge at all and chat as long as you like. You too could go online if your phone supports it and you'll have a data allowance for 99c a day (Vodafone & O2) sufficient for this and many other things.
    Technology is only ever as good as the people who use it - and the choices they make from those who are providing it. I agree with you that roaming rates (and other charges) can be horrendous but the trick is to make it work for you and do a little research :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Oh FACT, In don't know where I would be without my webtexts and Skype, theyre all I use to keep in touch with my boyfriend. Not so great for the family though. Thank god I'm home for good at the end of the month :)

I can't wait for the day when there's no such thing as Roaming!

Advertisement