Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress error

Options
  • 04-06-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I ftp'ed the wordpress files to my domain,
    I can post blogs no problem,
    but if u try to attach a picture,
    you get the error ,

"Unable to create directory
    Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

I have looked at various solutions online,
    most of them say to go into settings, miscellaneous and change the path of the folder that Stores uploads.

This didnt work, anyone came across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't know what FTP client you are using, so these instructions are using Filezilla (get Filezilla client at http://filezilla-project.org/).

1. Connect to the FTP server.

2. Navigate to "wp-content", and if "uploads" folder exists it right-click it and choose "File permissions..." at the bottom of the menu.

2a. If it doesn't exist, right click in the empty area at the bottom of the right-hand pane and choose "Create directory". Call it "uploads".

3. Change numeric value to 777 and tick "recurse into subdirectories".

Your uploads should now work.

(You may want to unset the 777 mode later, do the same but use 744 to remove execute and write permissions.)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Thanks, yeah had seen it somewhere about changing to 777 but I had no idea how to do it.

I can now get the pics to successfully upload,
    but on the posts , instead of showing the pic it shows a blue box with a question mark in it.

Will try looking at it further tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Do a View Source on the post when browsing the site (i.e. not in edit mode), find the image and look at what the path to the image is. It's broken, so you need to figure out how to fix it. Once you do that, go back in to edit the post, edit the image and change the image URL to the correct path.

Advertisement