Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass degree

Options
  • 04-06-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

What are chances of getting a post grad in Irish with a pass degree? Really gutted with results!!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I don't think you'd be able to go straight into a Masters with a pass degree, but a lot of schools are now running a HDip in [insert subject here], which used to be called an MA Qualifier. Most HDips require students to take some final year courses and submit written assignments . If the student does well enough in those assignments and exams, and show that they're capable of undertaking an MA, then they may be admitted to the Masters in that school. Obviously the requirements vary from school to school, so you'd be best to check with the relevant school to see a) if they run it, and b) what their requirements are.

Try not to stress too much about your degree. I know it probably doesn't help much, but you're not the only one in that position, and if the school in question does run an MA qualifer, then you have as good a chance as anyone of getting onto the masters programme. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Thanks ... want to do sec teaching & really need the points so am worried. Had been hoping for a mid to high 2/2. Had a lot going on this year & know I didn't do as well as I could ... am weakish in one particular area also & it must have pulled me down ... just didn't expect it to be by so much. Had thought nearly all the exams etc went ok too ( well one was awful so was glad of pass there!) so really gutted! Will try to get in touch with someone in department who might be able to tell me if there an MA qualifer ... only thing I can see is a post grad that requires 2/2 same as MA. Thanks again for the advice ... fingers crossed etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

What are chances of getting a post grad in Irish with a pass degree? Really gutted with results!!!!:(

It's not the end of the world. I only got a pass degree and am now doing a masters in Irish.

If your standard of Irish is excellent you'll have no problem. If not, try and perfect it, and maybe get a year or two's experience in working with Irish. PM me if you want any more advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Go in and talk to Caitlín or Regina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I.d second the above. Just go in and have a chat with them. All the Irish department staff are lovely and very approachable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement