Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 04-06-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Just a quick one, Is it a sign of something if a cat is eating grass, A friend has told me they only eat it if they are sick and mine have been nibbling at some for the past day or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

My mum has cats and I did hear her say before that if a cat is eating grass that their tummy might be upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It could be because they have a bit of a hair ball. They might get sick after, or the grass might just help the hair move through the digestive system. Or they might just nibble the grass because they feel like it. It probably isn't anything serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cats love grass. They'll sometimes chuck it back up again, but that won't stop them. No idea why - if you have indoor-only cats, try bringing in a handful of clean grass for them. They'll devour it! Don't be too worried about signs of illness unless you see something else along with the grass eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

dezzyd wrote: »
    My mum has cats and I did hear her say before that if a cat is eating grass that their tummy might be upset

same goes for dogs too i think but nothing to suggest its harmful to them. in all honesty no one knows for sure why they do it both cats and dogs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Nope i wouldnt worry at all. Most cats will have a nibble on grass at some stage. Nobody really knows why but it seems to be more of a digestive aid than actually anything wrong with them. Let him have free reign and dont worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our cat (rip) used to feast on grass!! :D I found that he'd only throw up really thick grass so we just pulled it up to save him/us the hassle. We used to get him cat grass on ebay for the winter time and he loved it.

Advertisement