Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre, Now OPEN

• 04-06-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭

When I went past the new Waterford Crystal visitor centre yesterday there were chandeliers lighting in the window - very nice. Still lots of workmen around though, does anyone have any information on when it is supposed to open?

I was down there last week and I have never seen so many people working on a site, they have done great work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Its been done really quick! I have to credit them it looks so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

my uncle is starting back there the last week in June..i don't know if thats when its opening to the public or just when he's starting back:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

It's looking fabulous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ribbon cutting ceremony on Tuesday, 22nd June at 11am.

It's going to be called House of Waterford Crystal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Looks pretty deadly down there a needed addition to the city bit of a face lift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Goes to show how fast things can be built when everything runs smoothly from the planning on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Name signs are up now and looks like markings for a pedestrian crossing directly outside. Seems a bit close to the Maryland crossing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ribbon cutting ceremony on Tuesday, 22nd June at 11am.

It's going to be called House of Waterford Crystal.

Thank you for that. No way will the good people of Waterford call it the 'House of Waterford Crystal'! It will be either the Glass visitor centre (or the Glass House? :D). Its an improvement on the old ESB offices either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

waterford definately needs something as good as this to get our acts together!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Looking fabulous and have to say SISK don't hang around. I heard the Buses will park in the newly developed Bolton St car park at the back

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Looking fabulous and have to say SISK don't hang around. I heard the Buses will park in the newly developed Bolton St car park at the back.

I heard that part of it is for them too. But they also seem to have converted the parking spaces across the road on The Mall into coach parking too. There were a few work vehicles there when I passed, but I'm sure it had Coach Parking painted along it now.

Somehow, I never got around to visiting the old centre, but I'm sure I'll be having a look in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Kahless wrote: »
    I heard that part of it is for them too. But they also seem to have converted the parking spaces across the road on The Mall into coach parking too. There were a few work vehicles there when I passed, but I'm sure it had Coach Parking painted along it now.

Somehow, I never got around to visiting the old centre, but I'm sure I'll be having a look in here.

Your not the only one who never got into the old centre, but going to make it my business to get round the new one, and certainly will be commenting on it to all friends and relatives coming home in September for a wedding and trying to get them to go.

It would be great if the city pushed the owners of some of the property around that area to tidy it up. There's a few that spring to mind that are dragging the place down.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

City Council have a new webcam set up on the new visitors centre

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/

I went into the new visitor centre this morning - it opened yesterday apparently. Still a bit of work being finished outside, but inside it is done.

Since tours were half price today (don't know how long that is for, a few days while they get settled I imagine) I went on the tour. Very interesting, similar to the old tours but on a smaller scale. They are in production though - limited at the moment as they are waiting for the big furnace to come on line, it takes two weeks to get it useable apparently - but there will be a reasonable amount of glass being produced considering that there is a lot of talking and demonstrating going on.

Its really worth a look and will be a huge benefit to Waterford's tourism industry.

Did anyone else find you have to refresh your screen to update the web cam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Aquos76 wrote: »
    City Council have a new webcam set up on the new visitors centre

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/

Someone go down and wave, I'll wait here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis amazing how when the tourist dollars are at stake things can get done ultra-quick.

tis reloading every few seconds me for.

Might pop in tomorrow morning then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Cheers for the heads up. Must pop down for a tour soon

mike65 wrote: »

tis reloading every few seconds me for.

It blinks every few seconds, but it only updates if you refresh the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In opera it updates, I see traffic and people shuffling forwards and the clock (top left) updates.

Definitely updating for me in Firefox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

It looks great on the outside cant wait to see the inside..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Kahless wrote: »
    Definitely updating for me in Firefox too.

+1:D

Yup, ok (grumble grumble) its IE, works in Firefox fine. *Mutters* don't like Firefox, its scruffy looking....

Actually just tried IE too and it's working fine for me in that too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The Webcam is good But the positition its in Is not that good Can someone tell the council to move it her abit so we can see the building itself! lol :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RobitTV wrote: »
    The Webcam is good But the positition its in Is not that good Can someone tell the council to move it her abit so we can see the building itself! lol :)

imho it needs a wider lens,would also be nice to see more of the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Looks superb from the outside, hopefully the council will get the Bolton Street area cleaned up next...there's a lot of scruffy and derelict buildings in that area which I presume the tourists must pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

inside of Waterford Crystal is ultra modern - was there one hour after it opened and they were on their third bus tour - all credit to theCity Manager - his pushing the City as hard as he can - undercroft is next to open - then Bishops Palace is to be transformed - then a Viking Museum - and finally the new new Waterford Crystal on the quays ( with no car parks)
    Waterford is doffo on the way up!!

Advertisement