Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre, Now OPEN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The council must be hot favourite to buy the Bowery for the future Viking Triangle vision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

looksee wrote: »
    It will be either the Glass visitor centre (or the Glass House? :D)
    I vote for Glass House if the locals won't go for Crystal Palace. I'd prefer the latter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

wellbutty wrote: »
    The council must be hot favourite to buy the Bowery for the future Viking Triangle vision

I would imagine that they would - only a price tag of €1m shows how much things have changed - at the height of the boom the price tab would be closer to €10m

€1m is a small price to pay to increase the tourist offering in this important historically area

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

wellbutty wrote: »

The city council were approched towards the end of 09, beginning on 2010 about purchasing the Bowery, they (city council) had enquired about it a few year back and there was an asking price of over 3m then, this time around it was offered to CC for 800k. The council never took up the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The city council were approched towards the end of 09, beginning on 2010 about purchasing the Bowery, they (city council) had enquired about it a few year back and there was an asking price of over 3m then, this time around it was offered to CC for 800k. The council never took up the offer.

I'd imagine with the recent development in the area that the price will probably increase slightly now.

P.S. If I go and moon the webcam will someone take a screenshot? Would be a great desktop wallpaper!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Certainly not a great looking wallpaper though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd imagine with the recent development in the area that the price will probably increase slightly now.

P.S. If I go and moon the webcam will someone take a screenshot? Would be a great desktop wallpaper!:D

Don't! Given the bad parking, someone is sure to stick a bike in your crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Good to see something worthwhile rising out of the ashes of Waterford Glass. Tony O'Reilly and his cronies have a lot to answer for in their total mismanagement of the company. Apart from burning a lot of small shareholders (of which I'm one and have heard precisely nothing since things went belly-up) Waterford Wedgwood did massive damage to the British ceramics industry too through their takeovers of Royal Doulton, Johnson Bros etc.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

AdMMM wrote: »
    Certainly not a great looking wallpaper though :p

Go way out of that! I got some looks in the waterford crystal swimming pool last night in my James Bond speedos.

Now that mental image was punishment for your earlier comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

I hope this site will inject a bit of badly needed revenue to the business people in the area of the NEW Waterford Glass center , especially the pubs.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Go way out of that! I got some looks in the waterford crystal swimming pool last night in my James Bond speedos.

Now that mental image was punishment for your earlier comment!

According to a discussion earlier this week on the Ray D'arcy Show speedos are back in fashion, also back in fashion are Tom Selleck type moustaches

Will that be after a back, sack and crack wax or as nature intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

deisemum wrote: »
    According to a discussion earlier this week on the Ray D'arcy Show speedos are back in fashion, also back in fashion are Tom Selleck type moustaches

as long as the Tom selleck moustache is not sticking out of the sides of your speedos

exactley like that deisemum. i love it:D

its like a cross between gerry adams and dick turpin*

*the high way robber who wore a hancherchief tied around his face and said stand and deliver as he robbed horse drawn coaches years ago....for 5 points who played him in the series in the 80's

SUNGOD wrote: »
    exactley like that deisemum. i love it:D

its like a cross between gerry adams and dick turpin*

*the high way robber who wore a hancherchief tied around his face and said stand and deliver as he robbed horse drawn coaches years ago....for 5 points who played him in the series in the 80's

Richard O'Sullivan

Richard O'Sullivan

5 points to you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

back to topic :)

looking forward to checking it out later in the summer.

anyone know the admission charges?

what exactly is the plan for moving the whole thing down to the quay?

& What are the other things happening with the Viking triangle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was down there on Friday. I was very impressed, they seem to be seriously overstaffed though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Admission is €10.40 normally. As to the overstaffing, I think when the builders are all gone, the full production of glass is achieved and the summer visitors get established there will not be too much overstaffing.

would I be the only one who thinks $10:40 is a bit pricey?

comeraghs wrote: »
    would I be the only one who thinks $10:40 is a bit pricey?

Yeah I think it's pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

€10.40 is too dear, especially at the moment as there is not even any crystal making taking place (or is there?) - seeing how the glass is made and sculpted is what you're paying for. Besides that it's just a showroom of crystal for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

thats really dear compared to the suir valley railway.those prices are more aimed at the tourists than the ordinary waterford head

Considering it's probably the only thing that the target market (tourists) will spend money on during their time in Waterford, I think they could possibly charge a bit more (anywhere up to €20). Of course, I wouldn't dare spend that much but then again, I'm not a tourist here :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Considering it's probably the only thing that the target market (tourists) will spend money on during their time in Waterford, I think they could possibly charge a bit more (anywhere up to €20). Of course, I wouldn't dare spend that much but then again, I'm not a tourist here :)

Just because its aimed at tourists doesn't give people the right to take them for a ride.

You have to remember the $ to euro exchange rate means thats a fair bit of money to an American, 8e or 8.50e would be a more suitable price.

By pricing things high your going to put off tourists and your only adding to the lack of attraction of Ireland as a tourists destination, we don't want to be an expensive tourist destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

has anyone else noticed in the black fronted part of the build, closest to la palma, there is stenciling on the glass and the signage of House of Waterford crystal, but the O in waterford is dropped a bit. its really noticable (to me anyhow) i checked on the other building and its not so its not a design thing. in fact the A in waterford on the sign in the main section is a bit gimpy to look at. not as noticable as the O though

You have to remember the $ to euro exchange rate means thats a fair bit of money to an American, 8e or 8.50e would be a more suitable price.

I think you've got it all wrong, the €:$ is the lowest it's been for the past 3 years!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think you've got it all wrong, the €:$ is the lowest it's been for the past 3 years!

Its still far from 1 = 1, between the exchange rate, airport charges, economic problems etc its still a pretty high price.

Sure its lowest it might have been for three years but that still means we'd be at 2007 prices, clearly we're not in 2007 anymore :)

Advertisement